Toy Talk: Which DC Character Would You Like To See Produced As An Action Figure?

Yah, I get that but one has to take into consideration that McFarlane, while producing an amazing product, still comes from a niche, boutique method of production in terms of manufacturing power. Sure, we get very distinctive looks for figs from Mac, but that opportunity comes at the cost of being able to choose from a variety of figs, including the lesser-known characters that so many of us know, love, and very much want to see immortalized in PVC (I have been waiting FOREVER for a Preston Payne fig :unamused:).
Now, I’m not saying that DC/WB should break ties with McFarlane; no, far from it. All I’m saying is that the DC/WB should look to a larger manufacturer to supplement the portion of the figure demand load that Mac doesn’t seem to have the facilities to produce.

:smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

Who’s Preston Payne? Sorry, the farther down the list we get, the more embarrassing my DC knowledge gets.

I don’t know that I would consider McFarlane boutique style. They’ve done a pretty good job of mass producing action figures and making them available (I blame Walmart & Target for the stock inconsistencies, because they are super easy to get online from anyone). In DC’s case, I think Todd’s proximity to the source material (he’s done plenty of DC as an artist after all) really shows. He obviously has a preference for what he perceives as cool or edgy, and it shows in most of his selections, imo. I’m fine with that, as long as he strikes a balance between his artistic preferences and what the collectors want, which may not always intersect.

Like @Vroom said… let’s give it time. We got the JL & SS movie figures coming up (I caved & reordered the JL figs), and then all those Batman 66 figures that haven’t been formally announced yet. I would say this year is looking better than last year in terms of variety. Just cross our fingers that the ones we’re hoping for actually happen at some point in the future.

Most… meandering… post… ever. Sorry :woozy_face:.

4 Likes

Fair points. :slight_smile:

At one time, McFarlane Toys was the fourth biggest company in the action figure industry (IDK their current rank, but I bet it’s still high) so while they do have the manufacturing power to jut out many a character, I just think that McFarlane’s going to go His Way.

The benefit of his company is that it’s privately held, so with no shareholders to capitulate to, he’s going to make whatever he wants and hope that enough of us toy geeks join him for the ride (and judging by how fast the Multiverse line generally sells, a lot of us are riding along).

I have to say, I love Todd’s enthusiasm for the Multiverse line. In every interview, you can tell he has a real passion for the brand and the product from it. For him, it’s definitely more than just another line in the company portfolio (too bad his Star Trek run didn’t last longer, though).

Moving on, I could go for a Preston Payne figure too! It would be very schway to see the world of Clayface figures expand. Oh, imagine a Mud Pack box set! trembles Oh, yeeeah, that’s the schtuff. :drooling_face:

@moro Preston Payne was the third Clayface, the one that wears a clear helmet and a flowing cape.

Almost all of the Clayface figures from Kenner, Mattel, DC Collectibles and Spin Master have been based on/inspired by the Matt Hagen Clayface, with the one exception so far being the Ethan Bennett version from The Batman, which Mattel made around 2005/6.

This is understandable as Matt Hagen is the iteration most people know best, thanks to the DCAU (it’s where I came to know of Clayface, that’s for sure), buuuut…getting the other Clayfaces in figure form would be pretty sweet as well.

'Kay, I’m going to go tremble some more over thoughts of a Mud Pack box set. :clayface_grinhqtas:

3 Likes

Speaking of Preston Payne, another character whose name that starts with “p” that’d I’d like to see in plastic is Pandora.

“But DC Collectibles already made her, in their New 52 line.”

This is true, and that’s a good figure (and Pandora’s sole figure at this point). However, I’d like to see something new. Maybe a figure with much more articulation, a removable hood and accessories from the Trinity of Sin: Pandora comic?

While on the subject, I’d also be game for figures of the Trinity of Sin iterations of The Phantom Stranger and The Question, as well as an eventual Trinity of Sin box set featuring the whole group, albeit with different paint apps, accessories and/or retooled sculpt elements.

3 Likes

Pandora… this took me back to “Trinity War” in New 52, one of the first crossovers that I read in my days starting out with comics. Don’t remember the details, but I remember loving it.

3 Likes

You didn’t hear it from me, but Trinity War will be covered in my club at some point, along with all applicable tie-ins.

Pandora Fun Fact: She appears in the background of just about every #1 issue of the New 52, wave 1 titles.

3 Likes

Thanks for this primer. I know Clayface of course, but his real name isn’t something that ever stuck to my head. Didn’t know there were multiples, either.

3 Likes

Not shocking, and they look cool. Still crazy to think we live in a world where Polka Dot Man is getting his own figure before Lex Luthor or Brainiac.

6 Likes

Detective Chimp Multiverse Figure
Detective Chimp Funko Pop
Detective Chimp Lego minifigure
Detective Chimp Mafex Figure
Detective Chimp Mezco Figure

4 Likes

I can’t believe we’ll soon live in a world where Bloodsport has an action figure, as I’ve been wanting a figure of him for years.

ponders if Bloodsport ran into the Cavill Superman in the DCEU

In my head canon, they did.

3 Likes

@ejdias.95910: Lookit’- a King figure! :smiley: :+1: :shark:

4 Likes

Hey, somebody got a new uniform…looks good. :grin: and Thank you for thinking of me. I’ve seen a couple of things on YouTube about them but I still gotta wait. I thought they said they wouldn’t be out until sometime in the fall, just in time for the holidays but yes I do plan on grabbing me some.

3 Likes

Holy potatoes! @DC89 has a new avatar and it’s Barbara-riffic! :0_batgirl: :fireworks:

3 Likes

Thank you Sir! It’s a new look for BG in DC Superhero Girls S2.

Not sure if this new costume is the norm for her going forward or if it’s for one or two eps, but I’mma sport it as my avatar for a while (might change it up a bit if I find a different look of the same costume), but yep- new look for DC89! :smiley: :+1: :00_batgirl1:

4 Likes

Love it! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the season two premiere soon. :00_batgirl1:

3 Likes

Me too! :purple_heart:

Queen @Razzzcat and Mighty @Mae have the S2 WALs lined up over in Harley’s Crew :harleys_crew:. I’m thinkin’ about doing S2 episode recaps the day after the WALs over there if @Razzzcat and @Mae are OK with it. Harley’s Crew is my homegroup and I wanna’ help bring as much exposure and engagement as I can for my most fave peeps. :smiley:

3 Likes

A McFarlane crack at Flex Mentallo and Animal Man would be great.

6 Likes

YES. :+1: Also- glad to see you back in the DCUI @BradRickettII! :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community, @BradRickettII! McFarlane does some awesome work - I’d love to see their take on Animal Man as well.

Please let the moderator team know if you need anything! :fireworks:

6 Likes

Flex should come with a tray of cupcakes as one of his accessories. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :purple_heart: :cupcake:

6 Likes