Toy Fair 2020 Thread

A CR Superman by Mez? That would mark my first One:12 figure.

If they do Superman, I’d love to see Lois, Lex, Zod, Ursa and Non. Jor-El would be nifty, but I’ve no idea on what Marlon Brando’s estate is like with regards to licensing his likeness. Mattel made him in their Superman Returns line, but they have a bigger piggy bank than Mezco.

Moving on, as if Spin Master’s reveals weren’t already great enough (and they are), their 2" Batman line has some great figures coming up, such as (among others):

-Batman (in black and white suits)
-modern Batwoman
-Deathstroke
-black suit Joker
-the Justice Buster
-classic Killer Moth
-Man-Bat (regular and silver)
-Robin (looks to kinda-sorta be the Tim Drake iteration but in a different uniform)
-Talon

Their new RC Batmobile that ejects it’s included Batman figure looks like fun. I don’t care about the RC component, but the car itself and the figure look neat.

Out of DC Direct, I’m interested in the Essentials Justice League set (Superman has painted belt loops, huzzah!) and a few of the BTAC figures.

I still feel BTAC should have come after DCD mined the DCAU for other figures, but some of what’s coming looks cool.

The DCeased figures are growing on me, likely due to my reading the series now. From a character variety standpoint, I’d be more interested in characters from the Unkillables mini, since they’d to be more than repainted and retooled figures.

Has anyone seen anything from Mattel for Hot Wheels and/or Imaginext (besides the giant Batcave playset) during Toy Fair? They have another series of DC-themed single bag figures coming up in the Imaginext line, which includes:

-Batman in cargo pants (from King’s run)
-Bronze Tiger
-Killer Moth
-Killer Wasp
-Talon
-Wildcat

Between Spin Master and Mattel, I’m loving the attention for Killer Moth and the Talon.

2 Likes

@Vroom Knowing Mezco, if they do end up making a Christopher Reeve Superman, I don’t see them doing much beyond him and maybe another figure or two (if we’re lucky). I’ve never seen them go that deep into a given movie. Only thing I can think of is BvS, where we got 3 different Batman figures (regular, armored, Knightmare) and Superman.

I might go for the Essentials JL set, mainly for the updated shiny paints and yes, the belt loops. Still have no interest in zombie JL beyond having read the comic and enjoyed it.

Is Mattel still making DC stuff? I thought after the new licensing agreements they were only going to be making “girls” toys, like the the Superhero Girls line? Off topic, but just glanced at their display and I really want that little Wall-E figure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Saw a summary of a Facebook video interview with McFarlane in which, according to the summary, he said they’re scrapping the build-a-batmobile and starting build-a-figures, going to take greater care with relative character scale, and learning into modern characters as opposed to classic versions.

Still no word on Harley :frowning_face: I might have to splurge on the Figuarts model

The new Deadshot statue looks cool.

1 Like

Wonder what this means exactly?

1 Like

I took it to just mean current costumes, but they showed the blue/grey Batman at the same show, so

Sometimes it seems like not even Todd knows what he means :laughing:

2 Likes

PUMPED for the Capullo (Owl Monster) and Mignola (Gotham by Gaslight) Black and White Statues

4 Likes

@moro Mattel still has the DC license for:

• dolls (as you said)
  • Hot Wheels-themed product (they have something new coming from The Dark Knight Rises in their +/-$5.99 line, but the YouTube video I saw didn’t show it too clearly, due to nearby crowds in the way)
  • Imaginext

I think their oversized Imaginext Superman looks cool, as do their WW84 Gold Armor WW and Barbera Minerva dolls. They have a new Imaginext DC segment called “Slammers” (I think) which looks to be a boxed figure and vehicle, perhaps blind boxed as well, but I haven’t seen any concrete information on these yet.

I saw an interview with McFarlane where he talked about his first buildable figure being someone big. Being that he’s mentioned Bane and Solomon Grundy in the past, I’m betting it’s one of them. I’d prefer to see it be Grundy, as Bane was a Collect and Connect figure in DCUC (yes, so too was Grundy, but Bane’s the more recent of the two).

My feeling is that Spin Master unequivocally stole the show this year. Alot of other companies had alot of cool stuff to show, but Spin Master’s character variety (they’ll have three Bronze Tiger figures out by year’s end, along with three Talons and Copperhead x3 as well! :tada: :champagne:), pricing and commitment to the brand is unparalleled.

Plus, their Batcave playset…oh…yeah. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Need to check out this oversized Superman business.

Build-a-whatever is a concept that I just don’t like. Luckily, I’ve never felt compelled to buy in on the concept (especially given how narrow my collection focus is).

As for Spin Master, I can’t argue with you. Though not my preferred aesthetic or scale, they’ve done a great job with variety, in store availability and of course price. Enough for me to buy in on a few myself (haven’t displayed 'em yet; will share pictures on my thread when I do :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Having procured a variety of build-a-bric-a-brac over the years, I generally like it and the concept is genius from a marketing standpoint.

While Toy Biz began to popularize the modern concept of buying all of something to get a unique product in 2004 via their wonderful Marvel Legends line, Mattel did technically beat them to the punch via their Justice League line in 2003 via their buildable JL display base.

I’m glad that McFarlane is much more selective with regards to the “buy these to make/get this” concept, and that he’s keeping cost in mind. Imagine…a wave of figures and a buildable item for well under $100. What a concept! :grin:

While I enjoy getting a buildable item, I also enjoy lower prices, so the whole “buy these to get this” idea can go the way of the dinosaurs if it means lower priced figures.

1 Like

Hey @Vroom, when you have a minute, can you give us a link to the Mattel DC stuff you mentioned up there (especially that big Supes)? Having a hard time finding it.

1 Like

Shore! It’ll be a while, but I’ll see what I can dig up.

1 Like

Uh oh. I ended up getting Ascending and preordered Supreme. So it begins . . .

3 Likes

@SWhite Nice! Still on the fence regarding Supreme Knight. Starting to think his more armored look would go well with their upcoming armored Diana. Add some kind of updated Supes… and maybe we have a thing going.

With the Christopher Reeve tease, starting to regret not ordering the Keaton Batman.

This hobby is too expensive :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been responsible with figures for awhile due to space issues (but have a bunch in storage) but friggin Mezco just recently hypnotized me. Supreme looked better in some of the Toy Fair pics compared to the press pictures. I went with regular but then the PX one has the better ears! I really appreciate that the variants are really different but then again it makes me want more. I will get that WW and hope for a new comics Superman but if they do Dr Fate I may need to check into a center. It’s something about the capes

2 Likes

this should be their slogan!

2 Likes

The struggle is real.

2 Likes

Tackle boxes and Ziploc bags are a collector’s best storage friend. :wink:

3 Likes