Top 5 Favorite Batman Storylines?

Hush, from Batman v1 (1940-2011) #'s 608-619.

It has:

• Batman at the top of his game
  • major allies (Alfred, Gordon, Robin, Nightwing, Oracle, Huntress and Superman)
  • major villains (including the debut of Hush, obviously)
  • spans 12 issues, so it’s got some length to it
  • is beautifully drawn by Jim Lee

Julie Andrews would say it’s “perfect in every way”, including how New Reader Friendly™ it is.

3 Likes

Hush is a little divisive, but it’s good at explaining what’s going on to a new reader and I personally like it. If you do read it, also check out its sequel Heart of Hush in Detective Comics #846-850. There was another one, Hush Returns, in between, but everything I’ve heard about that has been negative.

2 Likes

I tend to prefer either single issues or entire runs over storylines, but here are some featured storylines on DC Universe that I happen to enjoy:

1. Zero Year: Secret City (but not the rest of Zero Year)
  2. Year One
  3. Gothic
  4. Faith
  5. Year Two
  6. Where Were You the Night Batman Died?
  7. Second Chances
  8. The Last Arkham
  9. Batman & Son
  10. Batman RIP
  11. Batman Reborn
  12. Black Mirror
  13. The War of Jokes and Riddles
  14. The Wedding

Additionally, I like Strange Apparitions and the first part of Knightfall, but @JeepersItsTheJamags already provided those links. :wink:

1 Like

Long Halloween, Year one. I know this may seem strange but hear me out i think Injustice: Gods Among us is a great Batman story because it shows how much he is willing to do to no break his Moral Code.

2 Likes

Black Mirror

3 Likes

Hush brought me back into comics after four or five years away - I remember seeing Jim Lee’s art on the cover while browsing Walden Books, one of those spin racks and I felt compelled to buy it. His work on Uncanny/X-Men when I was kid had this wonderful aura to it.
Knightsend might be my favorite, but Hush was kismet of pure enjoyment (I agree with @JeepersItsTheJamags Heart of Hush was great, and Judd Winnick’s stuff post-Hush was fun too from what I remember).

6 Likes

It’s a random choice and not totally a Batman story Brotherhood of the Fist.
Green Arrow #134,Detective Comics #723,Robin #55, Nightwing #23,Green Arrow #135

2 Likes

Batman R.I.P. So, so so good. Year One is an indisputable classic. DKR is flawed but very good. Zero Year is wonderful as a sort of 21st century remix of Year One. There is also, of course, the supremely underrated B:TAS tie-in comic series, Batman Adventures, which has some of the greatest Batman stories of all time (#3 and #10, in particular). And, Mad Love is easily the greatest Batman/Joker story ever told.

1 Like

Deus Ex Machina is probably my favorite single arc from Tynion’s really excellent Detective Comics run! My favorite stories of all time for Batman are Year One and The Black Mirror. My favorite run, though, is Tom King’s run.

4 Likes

I have such affection for the Murderer/Fugitive arc, because it was the first time I was really sucked into a crossover’s concept. Still think it’s underrated. And Sasha Bordeaux is awesome!

1 Like

Continuity was really beating me up when I was reading the Murderer/Fugitive trades back then. Didn’t know much about Sasha Bordeaux at the time either, bahaha. Still enjoyed it though.

2 Likes

I started with Tec 767, with no clues, but Rucka wrote everything I needed to know. It’s just well written on a character and emotional level, even if not on a structural level.

1 Like

Wait, why only the first half of Zero Hour?

You can find my thoughts on Zero Year in this book club discussion:

Somehow I always come back to “Gothic”. Overlooked quite a bit historically I think, but that’s the one I find myself re-reading the most often. Just finished a re-read of it recently and it struck me that it is now 30 years old but completely holds up.

I would have to say that my favorite Batman story is “Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader”. To me, it’s one of the best encapsulations of the character. That said, it’s one of the only Batman stories I can think of that isn’t so much a story as it is a recollection of how the character has changed over the years. If I were to pick a favorite Batman storyline within the more conventional veins of Bat-storytelling, it would probably be “The Long Halloween”, though I’m partial to several niche stories like “Heat” and “Batman and the Monster Men”.

I should also add that a whole bunch of other fantastic storylines were brought up here:

Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast.

2 Likes

I know that there are better Batman stories. I enjoyed Frank Millers work and A killing Joke. Pretty much the whole LOTDK series.
There are a lot of mentions of Gothic here. I honestly don’t remember that story at all! I have all the actual books in my collection but I haven’t read them in forever.

I can honestly say I haven’t read a lot of newer Batman stories so I’m not an authority on the subject.

The most meaningful Batman story to me is called Dark Knight, Dark City. It was a three issue story in Batman written in 1990 by Peter Milligan. (Mike Mignola Cover art!). Very dark. I’d challenge anyone to find a more diabolical, sadistic, occult obsessed Riddler than the one presented here.

This was the first comic book I ever owned. I bought it off a newsstand at waldenbooks in the local mall when I was 10. 1 dollar! It’s not considered a groundbreaking story by any means. But I don’t care I like it.

There was also a reference to that story in Dark Knights Metal.

2 Likes

Hush, The Dark Knight Returns, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Haunted Knight (admittedly, this is a bit of a cheat since it’s a trade of 3 Halloween stories by Jeph Loeb), Court of Owls

1 Like

Son of the Demon
Strange Apparitions
Under the Hood
The Cult
A Lonely Place of Dying

2 Likes