Top 5 Active DC Writers

I never understand when people want to discuss the things they DON’T like… Let’s talk about the positive, why bring anything else?

2 Likes
  1. James Tynion IV - You can plug this guy in anywhere, with any kind of story, and he’ll get something out of it.

2. Peter J. Tomasi - His love for the material is palpable. Even his filler work is fun.

3. Marguerite Bennett - DC Bombshells wasn’t supposed to work. DC Bombshells is one of the most entertaining things I’ve read in the past ten years. And she successfully rehabilitated Batwoman after that disastrous Andreyko run.

4. Tom Taylor - The only DC writer who’s good at killing off characters.

5. Jody Houser - It’s hard finding new parts of Gotham City to mine for stories. With Mother Panic, she did just that.

A couple of honorable mentions here…

The first being Joelle Jones. Catwoman is my favorite comic book character in history, and Miss Jones is the only one who’s done her any kind of justice since Will Pfiefer.

And the second, and I never thought I’d say this, is Scott Lobdell. I am not a fan of his Red Hood work by any stretch of the imagination, and they gave him the criminally mistreated Wally West for a six-issue mini. I expected disaster, but the first two issues of Flash Forward have been no end to rad. If he closes out strong, this will be the only time in the course of human history where two wrongs actually did make a right.

3 Likes

Jody Houser and Joelle Jones are two on the rise. I hope they do a lot more DC stuff in the future.

1 Like

Rucka
King
Priest
Tynion
Abnett

4 Likes

Geoff John’s
Frank Miller
Grant Morrison

1 Like
  1. Sholly Fisch
  2. Robert Vendetti
  3. Mark Russell
  4. Tom King
  5. Brian Michael Bendis

I would probably put one of the more veteran writers (Wolfman, Jurgens, Giffen, etc.) on the list if they were more active or on titles that I’m currently reading.

1 Like
  1. Tom King
  2. Scott Snyder
  3. Geoff Johns
  4. James Tynion IV
  5. Brian Michael Bendis
2 Likes
  1. Robert Vendetti
  2. Tom Taylor
  3. Scott Snyder/James Tynion IV
  4. Peter Tomasi
  5. Tom King
3 Likes

Hey, thanks for bumping this! Updated my list up top, since Priest isn’t currently an active DC writer. Replaced with Matt Fraction.

2 Likes

Forgot about Matt Fraction. Excellent choice! Hope he does more for DC after his run on Jimmy Olsen!

1 Like
  1. Scott Snyder
  2. Peter J Tomasi
  3. Grant Morrison
  4. Tom King
  5. Paul Dini
1 Like

Have you read the 2000s Catwoman series by Ed Brubaker? I don’t mean to take away from Jones’ work (because it’s great), but it’s an excellent read if you feel like you’ve been wronged by other Catwoman books.

Not necessarily in order…

1. Grant Morrison
  2. Tom King
  3. Matt Fraction
  4. Greg Rucka
  5. Mark Russell

Nobody cause distribution is suspended? :grimacing:

Gene Luen Yang
Jeff Lemire
Daniel Warren Johnson
Robert Venditti
Steve Orlando

1 Like

In no particular order…

Steve Orlando
Greg Rucka
Robert Venditti
Brian Michael Bendis
Grant Morrison

Right now… as in folks with current (or fairly recent) ongoings I am reading:
Brian Michael Bendis
Scott Snyder
James Tynion IV
Geoff Johns
Greg Rucka

Tom King - Strange Adventures
James Tynion IV - Batman; Justice League Dark
Tom Taylor - DCeased line; Suicide Squad
Scott Snyder - Justice League
Jeff Lemire - all of his Black Label books

I thought bombshells was a total letdown.