Top 10 Best Issues and/or Runs Pre CRISIS on Infinite Earths

Hey everyone, i’m reading a DC comic order of sorts and while I’m not going to be adding more to my pre CRISIS list, I was wondering what the best runs and issues were?

I’ve heard about most the classic runs (Oneil/Adams, Wolfman/Perez on Teen titans, there’s a Aquaman run on my list. etc) I liked some of the early Superman but find 50s Supes to be pretty rough just from the little i’ve read.

I’ve read several classic Batman stories post CRISIS but not many pre yet.

Just wondering the thoughts of DC Comic historians. I wouldn’t say i’m new to DC comics but i’ve been a casual fan for years (I read some New 52 when it came out, mostly Bats… some of Geoff John’s Green Lantern run. love Green Lantern) til last year or so getting into comics more… Also I know more Marvel history than DC and want to change that.

Thanks. My first thread. Hope its okay.

3 Likes

Any help or suggestions? Or will my first thread die a slow death?

This is from.my top 22 titles of all time

01 1961 Brave and the Bold 34 Hawkman by Schwartz Fox Kubert

02 1974 Adventure Comics 431 to 440 The Spectre Superhero as horror comic Writer/Artist Mike Fleisher/Jim Aparo. Editor Joe Orlando,
(Not in Library Substitute 1992 Specte by Ostrander and Mandrake]

03 1976 All Star Comics 60 on (omits 58 59) revival of Justice Society of America. Introduces Power Girl. Conway Wood.

04 1979 Detective Comics 471 to 476 Steve Engleheart and Marshall Rogers

05 1984 All Star Squadron Set in World War II Roy Thomas

06 1984 Saga of Swamp Thing 21 The Anatomy Lesson Alan Moore

I have a Super Hero Genre History.which list many historic issues. Most are good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the list. Some i dont have in my order

1 Like

These are my after Crisis best runs

07 1993 Death High Cost of Living The Trade includes Death’s First Appearance in Sandman 8, 1991, Sound of Her Wings Neil Gaiman
Not in library, available at Comixology or try Library or buy Graphic Novel trade

08 1996 Supergirl 75 to 80 Peter David
Linda Danvers Supergirl meets Silver Age Kara el Supergirl

09 1997 JLA Big Seven return.with epic plots. Grant Morrison.

10 2000 Planetary Warren Ellis John Cassidy

11 2003 Teen Titans Young Justice mentored by New Teen Titans Geoff Jones

12 2004 DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke. Set in late 50s early 60s.

13 2011 Aquaman Geoff Johns

14 2011 Demon Knights Set in Medieval Times. Paul Cornell

15 2011 Frankenstein Agent of
S.H.A.D.E, Jeff Lemire.

16 2011 Huntress mini (Helena Wayne)
followed in 2012 Worlds Finest with Power Girl Paul Levitz

17 2013 Earth 2 17 on.Tom Taylor

18 2015 Superman Lois and Clark Introduction of Jon Kent, their son. Dan Jurgens followed by Superman Rebirth in 2016, followed by Super Sons.

19 2016 DC Universe Rebirth 1

20 2016 Wonder Woman Year One. Issues 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 Rucka Scott

21 2016 Detective Comics Rebirth Tynion IV

22 2016 Green Lanterns Rebrth Sam Humpries

23 2016 Flinstones Mark Russell

1 Like

Lord, there’s so many! Where to begin?
Well, first listen to TurokSonOfStone1950. He’s a consummate DC historian and will not steer you wrong.
But I think I have ten?

1. Aquaman: The Search for Mera by Skeates and Aparo (#'s 40-48)

2. Batman: “Bruce Wayne–Rest in Peace” by O’Neil, Novick, and Adams (#'242-245)

3. Legion of Super-Heroes: “The Great Darkness Saga” by Levitz, Giffen, and Mahlstedt (#'s 284-296)

4. Batman: “The Joker’s Five-Way Revenge” by Adams and O’Neil (issue # 251)

5. Detective Comics: “Bat-Murderer” by Wein, Aparo, and Chua (#'s 445-448)

6. Superman: “For The Man Who Has Everything” by Moore nad Gibbons (Annual # 11)

7. Flash: “The Flash Times Five is Fatal” by Wein and Novick (Issue #217)

8. Superman: “Wharever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?” by Moore, Swan, Perez, and Schaffenberger (Superman #423 and Action Comics #583)

9. Green Lantern & Green Arrow: “No Evil Shall Escape My Sight!” by O’Neil and Adams (Green Lantern/Green Arrow # 76)

10. And the book that was the progenitor of COIE Flash #123: “Flash of Two worlds” by Fox, Infantino, and Giella

2 Likes

Actually reading this right now in my order.

Thanks for the others

2 Likes

@LK3185: You are quite welcome. Pre COIE is a vast treasure trove of DC gold (and silver). Search them out here on the app or in collections. Contrary to popular belief Marvel wasn’t the only publisher who was turning out four-color magic in the 60’s and 70’s. That said, when you find these treasures, as the great Stan–The Man–Lee oft said–“ENJOY!”

1 Like

@baseballmaniac01.45870

Very good choices

Six out of ten of your suggestions are listed in my super hero genre history, which list many major significant issues and runs.

1 Like

6.Denny O’Neil & Neal Adams on Green Arrow/Green Lantern
5.Alan Moore on Swamp Thing
4.Jim Shooter on The Legion of Superheroes
3.Marv Wolfman & George Perez on New Teen Titans/Titans
2.Denny O’Neil & Neal Adams on Batman
1.Superman:Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow

2 Likes

I agree on all of them.as classic great runs.

1 Like

Why with issue 46 of the Steve Skeates Aquaman run did the artwork become black and white. Not a problem. Just curious

Edit nevermind its the reprint

So read my first issue Pre COIE that i deem 5 stars (not really a hard marker but something i have to really love) and no suprise, its Batman 244

The battle between Ra Ghul and Batman is a forever classic

3 Likes

Batman #244: They don’t make them like that anymore!

3 Likes

Yeah from page 1 i knew it was something special and it delivered

1 Like

I feel like I’m missing so much content when i’m just reading secular justice league and batman rebirth and new 52 ya know.

1 Like

First
Watch
Secret Origins the Story of DC Comics

In that hour and a half you will get a good overview of most of our comic book library. It was filmed in.2009 so of course can’t talk about newer than that

The DC History Club has this video as the topic for the month of September 2020

This is my complete list for New DC Readers. It is intended to introduce most of the major characters of the universe as a basic level. It is by year.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/new-to-comics-and-the-dc-universe-any-recommendations/1245979/5?u=turoksonofstone1950

This is my
Batman for new readers

if you want to learn significant events in super hero genre history. Most significant issues are mentioned here. It is by year

if you want to learn how Superman Batman.and Wonder Woman were created

1 Like

Anything done by Dennis O’Neal and Neal Adams. Both Green Lantern/Green Arrow and their Batman runs are great

1 Like

To quote user Johnny Thunders! on the CBR boards,

“Superman 295-310 works for me. You get a big Fable Superman Story, you get smash ups, you get obscure Phantom Zoners and you get Bizarro. Maggin, Bates, I think you get the Cadillac of Superman runs.”

Sounds good to me.