4. Scarecrow
  5. Poison Ivy
  6. Mr. Freeze
  7. Ras Al Ghul
  8. Two Face
  9. Bane
  10. Man Bat
1 Like

1: The Riddler. Maybe not objectively the best villain, but certainly the most entertaining given his ability to challenge Batman on an intellectual level and make him work those World’s Greatest Detective skills.

2: Catwoman. A great foil. I know I’ve said this like a million times on here, but I love how she can represent the allure of Batman’s mission, while Batman can represent her conscience.

3: The Joker. WHEN written properly, which is apparently surprisingly hard to do. Some writers seem to think replacing his sense of humor with some kind of compulsion to wage psychological warfare campaigns against Batman makes him more interesting, when it really doesn’t. It makes him a predictable, one-note character, while a funny Joker who engages in all kinds of criminal mayhem (occasionally targeting Batman directly) is entertaining and engaging.

4: Weird hipster choice time: The Ventriloquist. As much as I hate Alan Grant’s writing, I have to admit this idea is kind of inspired. Having the angry, aggressive dummy and the shy, unassuming ventriloquist is cool and trippy in a way that I just love. I also prefer it when there’s some ambiguity as to whether Scarface is some kind of evil spirit, a split personality for Arnold Wesker that’s manifested through the dummy, or just Wesker himself using the dummy as a front so people don’t pay as much attention to him. The comics have favored the first answer, but I think the third one adds an interesting layer of twistedness since the dummy is the “real” Wesker while the physical body is just putting on a show. Unfortunately, while the idea’s been suggested, everything I’ve ever read has leaned heavily towards the first or second explanation.

5: Deadshot. Deadshot has not a single, solitary f*** to give about anything, ever, and I love it. And generally, I avoid even censored swearing on here (not out of prudishness, but because if I can’t say the word, I might as well find a more articulate way of expressing my point), but there really is no other way to adequately describe Deadshot.

6: Bane. OK, Bane is just cool. I mean, there have been a ton of characters who are all “What if Batman were evil?” and with the possible exception of Deathstroke, Bane is the most effective (and while I like Deathstroke better, he’s more interesting when pit against non-Batman characters for some reason, while Bane works best fighting Batman). He’s not using “evil Batman” as a gimmick like Prometheus or the Wrath, he’s just a different character who happens to be Batman’s equal and opposite. I also just enjoy his sense of bravado.

7: The Penguin. He’s cool, confident, and classy, while being just silly enough to fit in. I like him as sort of the successor to Carmine Falcone: An untouchable crime lord who runs Gotham’s underworld, but maybe brings a certain degree of stability that the usual supergoons run the risk of disrupting.

8: Two-Face. The tragedy of Harvey Dent’s backstory makes him an excellent precautionary tale. Also, his duality gimmick is one that’s easy to use without actually feeling gimmicky.

9: Hush. Not so much for his debut story (which I do like, but Hush himself is kind of an enigma for most of it and it’s not necessarily all that hard to guess who he is - it’s more figuring out how and why the whole conspiracy has been arranged that makes it engaging), but I do like Heart of Hush from Paul Dini’s Detective Comics, since it’s not trying to cover up his identity, so there’s a lot more mileage out of his medical training and information on his upbringing that really fleshes out his twisted relationship with Bruce.

10: Black Mask. OK, Black Mask was kind of generic for a while and wound up being kind of a poor man’s Joker in the 2000s, yes. And War Games was his fault, yes. But as a character himself, he’s still really entertaining, and I would’ve liked to have seen what a good writer could’ve done with him. There are some characters who I like more because I find them interesting in theory than because I’ve liked anything they’ve been in, and Black Mask kind of falls into that category. And hey, yet another evil Batman. I don’t even like that gimmick, but three of them have managed to make it into this list, so go figure.

Honorable mentions: Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Ra’s al Ghul, and Hugo Strange, probably in that order.

There are a few, like Deathstroke and Lady Shiva, who Batman has fought, but I don’t really see as Batman villains as such. They’d both rank pretty high if I did count them, though.

3 Likes
  1. Ra’s
    2.Two-Face
    3.Joker
    4.Scarecrow
    5.Riddler
    6.Bane
    7.Zazz
    8.Mr.Freeze
    9.Ivy
  2. Clayface
1 Like
  1. Joker
  2. Riddler
  3. Bane
  4. Hugo Strange
  5. Ra’s Al Ghul
  6. Scarecrow
  7. Penguin
  8. Two-Face
  9. Poison Ivy
  10. Court of Owls

This is not in order of who I think represents the biggest threat but I do think these are the 10 biggest threats to Batman

1 Like

Honestly batman has way too many good villains, he left none for other characters haha. His rogues gallery triples everyone else’s.

2 Likes

:penguin::grin:

1. Penguin
  2. Joker
  3. Riddler
  4. Two-Face
  5. Catwoman
  6. Mr. Freeze
  7. Harley Quinn
  8. Scarecrow
  9. Mad Hatter
  10. Hush
1 Like
  1. The Joker
  2. The Riddler
  3. Two-Face
  4. Ra’s Al Ghul
  5. The Penguin
  6. Hugo Strange
  7. The Scarecrow
  8. Bane
  9. Mister Freeze
  10. King Tut! (Hell, yeah!)
1 Like
  1. Joker
  2. Riddles
  3. Bane
  4. Penguin
  5. Ra Ghul
  6. Two Face
  7. Mr. Freeze
  8. Deadshot
  9. Scarecrow
  10. Poison Ivy
2 Likes
  1. Joker
  2. Bane
  3. Talia al Ghul
  4. Batman Who Laughs
  5. Court of Owls
  6. Riddler
  7. Hush
  8. Deathstroke
  9. Ra’s al Ghul
  10. Scarecrow

But that’s just my opinion

1 Like
  1. Joker
  2. Two Face
  3. Harley Quinn
  4. Penguin
  5. Bane
  6. Hush
  7. Riddler
  8. Deadshot
  9. Clayface
  10. Poison Ivy
1 Like
  1. Joker
  2. Two-Face
  3. Catwoman
  4. Ra’s al Ghul
  5. Penguin
  6. Poison Ivy
  7. Mr. Freeze
  8. Professor Pig
  9. Scarecrow
  10. Riddler
2 Likes

Baby face
Mrs man face
Crazy quilt

Everybody else

1 Like

It’s a tie, they’re all at #1. Except for Anarky, he’s #2 I suppose. Just never liked him.

2 Likes

Kite Man

2 Likes
  1. The Joker
  2. The Riddler
  3. Penguin
  4. Two-Face
  5. Ra’s Al Ghul
  6. Bane
  7. Poison Ivy
  8. Killer Croc
  9. Hugo Strange