Tom Taylors Take On Fathers Day in Batman Annual 3

I was just trying to earn some quick points and saw Batman Annual 3 and decided to give it a go. I had already read it when I purchased it but had forgotten it totally. I was so glad I read it again. I had tears in my eye as I finished it. This is the type of story that gives comics it’s power and makes them great. I had been feeling down. I’m recovering from a surgery that is a fix from an earlier surgery. Spending the holiday weekend alone. My wife and daughter went to celebrate birthdays and the 4th with her family. The pandemic has been rough for them. This was a much needed trip.
The story was a nice simple piece that shows a sort of behind the scene perspective into the life of the man responsible for giving us the worlds greatest detective. It’s not set up as a traditional Father’s Day story. Taylor sticks in a final joke that put me in tears. It made me think of how lucky I am to have my daughter and have the father I had. I couldn’t ask for a better father. I was lucky. Thanks dad.

5 Likes

I’m in agreement with you on this Annual! I’ve re-read Batman Annual #3 a couple times and the story ‘hits’ on all cylinders because the villain isn’t the focus as much as the bond between Alfred and Batman is the focus.
I’m actually surprised this comic doesn’t turn up on readers ‘favorites’ lists a lot more often. It really has ‘heart‘. Something that’s missing in a lot of stories now. (Just my opinion!)

1 Like