Tom King taken off Batman?

So has Tom King been taken off Batman? Bleeding drool is reporting he has been. I haven’t been reading Batman yet, but I loved his other work. Kind of disappointing.

I guess this means Bendis on Batman. Sigh

1 Like

He was just doing interviews the other day How his story had implications that would effect Batman for years

1 Like

The only place I’ve seen that reported is Bleeding Cool, so I’d maybe take that with a grain of salt. They’re not exactly known for being the most reliable all the time LOL. I’d wait and see what the next round of solicits looks like before getting too wound up :laughing:

3 Likes

I doubt it. Despite the divisiveness among fans, Batman is still a top dawg in sales.

Hard for me to imagine that they would cancel King’s run, especially since were like 70+ issues into it and he has been adamant about his 100 issues.

2 Likes

If you check his Twitter, it implies that he was taken off.

Please DC ! Do not give Batman to Bendis. Seeing him butcher X-men, Superman, Iron man and the guardians of the galaxy has been enough.

1 Like

Tom king was the perfect person to follow up Snyder. Taking him off before finishing his story would be like if Snyder was taken off after Death of the Family.

4 Likes

I’ll add my name to the list of people who have really enjoyed King’s run and would prefer him not taken off the title.

4 Likes

I doubt that.

I am not big fan of a Bendis but he is great with grounded characters. His Daredevil and Spider-man run in Marvel were great. Batman is THE grounded character Bendis can work with. As long as he doesn’t get both Superman and Batman, I think he will do fine with Batman.

I certainly hope not. King’s run has been divisive, but from what I’m seeing, even the most hardcore detractors agree that since it’s so close to the end, King should at least finish his story.

That said, an interesting thing is that Mitch Geralds, a frequent collaborator with King, also Tweeted the following: “I know things about a thing and it all means even better things” with a smiling Batman gif. Vague? Absolutely. But I hope that means that such a move is more amicable – maybe instead of being on the Batman ongoing, King will finish his story in a seperate book/mini-series?

3 Likes

I love King’s run. Taking him off before he can finish the story would be a big mistake.

2 Likes

I glanced the Internet about this The rumor is he will be off the books by 85

1 Like

I hope not! Tom King’s Batman stories have been great

2 Likes

Don’t believe anything you read on Bleeding Cool. Sometimes they get it right, but everything they publish is unconfirmed rumor. It’s a tabloid.

1 Like

That said: King has been public about his run ending after 104 issues, including annuals and such. And we’re getting pretty close…

I didn’t pick up a comic book for 15 years until batman by Tom king. I admit I am not fond of all the nightmare books. 1 or 2 of them are plain dumb. I think the marketing of batman 50 wasn’t his fault and that ate at sells. Probably DC just says let’s not prolong the story by 10 books on nothing. Doesn’t work well on comic books but wished it happened on GOT. If they are giving him 14 more books then it’s not a DC is firing him thing. Although I admit what’s a step up from batman?

Knightmare. Damn spell check.

I pray this is just rumor. And if not, hopefully this outpouring of support from the fans is enough to convince DC to not remove and replace him till his full commitment is complete

Hubcityquestion you’re right to be suspicious of Bleeding Cool as a source. In the short flurry of false DCU related reporting following Swamp Things reduction is episodes, Bleeding Cool prominently displayed the false info, later corrected the article but provided no notice to readers of the change. Maybe real journalism rules are too much to expect of them.

2 Likes

Its confirmed -

https://www.cbr.com/tom-king-leaving-batman/

1 Like

I’m not one to get angry on the internet but this seems to have done it. I’ve become a big fan of King’s, not because I love every choice he makes but because his stories are generally interesting, both narratively and visually. It also just seems so stupid given the very recent PR push hyping this final quarter of his run. (And the fact that it seems to make this final dozen issues or so less of a must-buy or must-read than they seemed to be.) But a 100-issue story was always ambitious in a way most writers don’t seem to be. I liked that but it also probably meant it was star-crossed regardless.

Anyway, I hope there is a silver lining to this. I’m very curious as to what King had planned that would have changed Batman so much, but I doubt it was truly that big (I mean, he’s been physically broken, killed, trapped in time, seen every one of his Robins killed, almost got married, had a kid, seen his city infected and decimated, accused of murder and on the run, etc.) or that it was the reason for this news. Frankly, it just adds to the dumb if he’s pulled for any of the reasons people are citing (Knightmares, other story grumblings, ATT overlords getting skittish, etc.) since presumably several other people have been involved in these decisions each step of the way for the past few years. And other folks, and other decisions, over many years, are more to blame for drawn-out, boring story arcs than Tom King. (The Green Lantern and Doomsday Clock are two of the rare books I feel give me a solid storytelling return on my $4 or $5 in any given issue.)

But I will say that this makes me wonder if DC really has any plan, or if maybe King is being drafted to be a bigger part of whatever plan it does have. With Doomsday Clock’s lateness and this news about a sudden change to a long-planned massive status quo shift for Batman, it makes me wonder if there’s really any sense of where they want things to go or if it’s all seat-of-the-pants now.

1 Like