Tom King Promises to Change the Dark Knight "For a Generation"

Can’t wait to see what he does. I love King’s work on the character.

2 Likes

Tom King is a brilliant writer. His Vision run is one of my favorites.

1 Like

I wish his Mister Miracle run was on here.

1 Like

Tom King is great with lesser known characters.

Characters with history, not so much.

1 Like

@E-Dot I think it’s because he’s too egotistical to check whether or not he actually understands the character as well as he assumes he does.

@Awesome Squid,

I don’t see how King’s Batman is any more, “Robotic, devoid of emotions, having no sense of humor, and incapable of live,” than the past versions of Batman. Batman is kind of infamous for having no sense of humor or at least a rare one. I don’t think I’d ever describe any version of Batman as Robotic. King has done more emotional exploration through his relationship with Catwoman, his guilt with Gotham Girl and his distress over the War of Jokes and Riddles than most writers have ever done with the character. The character is not known for wearing his heart on his sleeve, but if you think King’s Batman is emotionless, you haven’t been paying attention. I’m not sure what you see as being incapable of live.

Where do you get the idea that King never read Batman before writing him?

@darkknights I thought I remembered reading in a interview with him that he was never really a fan of Batman before writing him, but I can’t find that interview anywhere so I guess I’m wrong about that. But I maintain that Tom King’s Batman is far more robotic than any other version so far. Look at the way he behaves in I Am Suicide or at any of the dialogue he has with Catwoman. I think it may be confusing when I say that Batman is less emotional. I phrased that very poorly. Batman clearly has emotions in the series. I meant to say that Batman doesn’t display as much emotion. This is a really bad explanation. I’m not very good at putting my thoughts into words, so I’m going to go and find some examples. I’ll get back to you in a bit.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to read it!

King’s run so far has made an effort to show that uder the mask, Batman is just a normal human like us instead of a god-like being. He can be carried away by emotion and attempt to kill, he can make mistakes, and he desires to be loved.

I think the last 15 issues are going to show that why, despite all the flaws, he is still a great hero that everyone should look up to.

I would really like to see how he concludes it.

1 Like

And I totally agree with @darkknight that King has done more emotional exploration on Batman than most writers had in the past.

2 Likes

King will probably have Batman #100 end with Bruce meeting Robert Pattinson, saying to him “I believe in you. Give it your best shot!”

1 Like