Tom King & Phil Hester on "Gotham City: Year One" in October 2022

DC announced today an upcoming six issue mini-series “Gotham City: Year One,” written by Tom King and drawn by Phil Hester. It will take place “two generation” before Batman, and will revolve around private investigator Slam Bradly on a case to find and save the kidnapped baby Helen Wayne.

From Tom King: “In Gotham City: Year One, Phil and I will take you to a noir-drenched past, where the secrets that made Gotham become Gotham, the sins that made Batman become Batman are finally and violently revealed.”

LINK:

8 Likes

This is my dream comic with a dream creative team.

Been dying for a Slam Bradley series since Cooke and Brubaker left Catwoman.

2 Likes

As a film noir fan, I have to say, this sounds like a book I can get behind.

4 Likes

Cool, I definitely want to read this!:smiley:

2 Likes

Sold.

And this needs to be an HBO Max series… like right now. :smiling_face:

Oh, and “Year One.”

They should do twelve issues and not just six. Spread it out, let’s stay in Gotham City for awhile.

I’ll take six though…

2 Likes

This looks really exciting! I hope it makes me fall in love with some characters and gives them a great story!

Tom King has a knack for working with the best artists in the business, and this is no exception! Super excited for this!

2 Likes

this sounds fascinating cant wait.

Yeah, this just occurred to me…

King and Hester, along with Eric Gapstur, Jordie Bellaire and Clayton Cowles, launch Gotham City: Year One on October 4. Taking place two generations before Batman, private investigator Slam Bradley gets tangled in the headline-grabbing “kidnapping of the century” as the infant Wayne heir Helen disappears in the night…and so begins a brutal, hard-boiled, epic tale of a man living on the edge and a city about to burn.

Slam Bradley may be getting a call from Perry Mason…

Because episode one, and the entire storyline for the first season…

https://www.hbo.com/perry-mason/season-1/1-chapter-1

Series premiere. Los Angeles, 1931. Perry Mason - a PI struggling to make ends meet - and his right-hand man Pete Strickland are hired by attorney E.B. Jonathan, Perry’s mentor, to solve a perplexing case: the brutal kidnapping of one-year-old Charlie Dodson, whose parents Matthew and Emily were targeted for a $100,000 ransom.

I suggest Slam Bradley get good legal council. :smiling_face:

No, it’s cool.

You can’t go wrong with an infant kidnapping story. Those always work.

And yes, they still should make GOTHAM CITY: YEAR ONE into an HBO Max series. I’d still watch it.

I liked it with Perry Mason set in L.A., and I’m pretty sure I’d love it with Slam Bradley set in Gotham City. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT:

Oh, and of course, in the comic they should probably make sure that Slam Bradley steers clear of Gotham City’s Chinatown.

Nothing good can come of that… :rofl:

#stopasianviolence