Tom King being kicked off Batman

@BatFreak27 He’s leaving to start his own Batman series

1 Like

Dc has also kicked me off Batman, but I will still buy it on the black market

If you don’t think the Batman has been changed many times over the last 80 years, than you don’t know the history of Batman very well. That statement is not supported by evidence. King doesn’t have a “right” to do Batman. It might be slumping sales, it might be contract negotiation time. There are a dozen possible reasons why, and the truth is it all comes down to dollars and cents. There is a fair amount of assumption as to why. The truth is we’ll probably never know exactly why, but suffice it to say, the internal working of DC Comics have their reasons. Even if the book was selling gang busters, if King wants substancially more money or greater creative license., the answer my be no. The numbers dint add up. King is ok, but, IMO he’s not on the O’Neil /Adams/Schwartz run. Nobody has come close to the massive change of direction to the Batman. History proves this, King ain’t that team, no matter how much folks want to say he is. Maybe in 40 years, he MIGHT BE, but I have serious doubts that will be the case. The modern Batman is built on a foundation that Denny, Julie & Neal created. Everything, including DKR is predicated on that single reimagining 40 years. To ignore the compulsion to break away from Batman was a good, but ultimately a failed experiment. It’s not a ding in King, but a flagship titile like Batmanhas economic and conical ideas.

As Marv Wolfman said, you get to play with a character but not break it. If DC editorial found it breaking of canon, it’s not worth it in the long run. Byrne’s run of Man of steel was a good run, but at the end of the day, not conical enough. This is a character that has been around for 80 years, King is in a large group of writers that have played their part. He is just a simple cog in the machine that is Batman. Some stuff sticks, other stuff doesn’t. My guess is King’s stuff while interesting in the moment, will matter little when Batman turns 150 (or even 100). He’s not all that and a bag of crisps, IMO. Decent for a particular brief moment in history but not ultimately memorable.

1 Like

This is the best day of my life.

King did some interesting stuff in his run both good and bad, but I don’t think he’ll be as memorable as Scott Snyder in the long run.

1 Like