Todd Phillips released first image of Joaquin in makeup

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_uihPAVhL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

1 Like

I seen it, and I am not impressed. He just looks like a clown!

i’m thinking that’s not his “final form” and the makeup is for a clown show or comedy act… the eyebrows freak me out tho

I don’t know why they would release the image if that wasn’t what he would look like, it’s worse looking then Jared Leto’s Joker.

The DC Daily crew seemed enthusiastic, but I doubt they would say if they didn’t like it.

1 Like

I saw a still image of it and hated it. When I saw the actual clip of him in motion with the music, I actually quite enjoyed it. It’s a camera test. It looks like this is what they’re going for before he descends into complete madness.

1 Like

While I’m not sure why this movie needs to get made, this an effective, early-Joker creepy look. On the other hand, JP has creeped me out since “Gladiator” already so good pick there :joy:

1 Like

It’s got one hell of a cast, they could make a good movie with that. I wanted, or what I was expecting was Brian Azzarello’s “The Joker”. I am confident in Joaquin Phoenix, I just seen “You We’re Never Really There”, it was pretty good in comparison to “Taxie Driver” ( The Movie) with Robert Deniro, who also stars in this.

1 Like

Here’s the deal for me. When they cast Heath for the Dark Knight, I laughed. I said he would be terrible. I said “How could they get this pretty boy to be Joker?” So for now, specifically with Joker, I wait until I see the movie before I speak.

1 Like

I’m so intrigued to see how this is going to go. I think it’s an interesting experiment.

1 Like

I love it so much. A friend of mine described the vibe as Taxi Driver and I like that comparison a lot. If we can see the mental decline of a human being in this film from start to end that would be so amazing.

1 Like

Looks like a knockoff of Ledger’s Joker with different colors. I’ll reserve final judgment until I see the film but not impressed so far

Personally, I’m digging this. At first I was against this film because we already had an established Joker with Jared Leto and it was announced as a spin-off with no connection to the DCEU, so there was no point in making this film. But after seeing the teaser and the released footage that just came out I’m starting to change my mind. I’ve really liked everything they’ve shown so far. I guess WB wants to know their fans feedback since they’re releasing footage already since WB track record isn’t so favorable both commercially & critical. And i’m sure the make-up isn’t the final make-up. What we’re seeing is just the beginning of the Joker’s rise to crime. Obviously they’re not going to show what the final make-up will look like. I think Phoenix will blow a lot of people’s expectation. He has a chance to really be the next great Joker. People were wrong about Heath Ledger and everyone praised him as THE Joker. I’m convinced Phoenix will do wonderful job.

So now that a video has been dropped…what does everyone think now? I thought it was an amazing interpretation and it actually really sold me on what Todd Phillips could bring. If this movie is done right, it could be a huge homerun for DC.

There needs to be a “ Batman” in this, Just a little cameo

2 Likes

The video comes off better than the still image. Has a Taxi Driver/Falling Down feeling to it. Not going to pretend though, I like my Jokers to be unknown and stained in “perma-clown”. This could be good, but it feels unnecessary, feels like they are trying to make a movie about Ledger’s joker specifically.

2 Likes

The make-up looks pretty bad but Joaquin Phoenix’s facial expressions communicate what I want in a Joker. I, too, want my Joker to not wear make-up or a mask. I want it to be part of him. Maybe since it’s an origin this is a pre-make-up before it becomes a permanent part of his physicality. I doubt it, but I can hope. Regardless of how I feel about the physical appearance of the Joker, I have no doubt that Phoenix and Philips will bring something amazing to this film. Todd Philips has a past with the criminally insane. He directed the Documentary “Hated” about the demented shock/punk rocker G.G. Allin. He has seen first hand what the human condition is capable of. He’ll kill it with this movie/story.

1 Like

The 1st take was so so the second take getting off the subway was Magnificent :smirk::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes