To the ones who have read the DC comics from 1935 to 1940, how mature are they compared to the ones from the Silver age?

@TurokSonOfStone1950 Have you ever read Jim Steranko’s historyof comics? These are screenshots from that book. Do they say anything about what I am asking about. If it is can you simplify it? I don’t know, maybe I just used to getting so many different answers and Injust need something to confirm that there wasnt and audience in mind when Superman and Batman were first introduced but just skewed more to kids.

@munozjosue087.81052

I cant read that. My vision is too weak

I will download to see if I can understand the words

I had that book.

It is a popular work

Not a work where he researched a lot.

So this too is just opinion

I will get back to you as soon as I can,

1 Like

There isnt much there.

For facts, please look at the covers of
Action.Comics and Detrctive Comics.

Superman does not appear on the cover of early Action comics only issues 1, 7 and then 13 onward. A year after Action.1

If they knew Superman was a hit early on, he would have been on .earlier covers.

Similarly Batman is on.the cover of Detective 27 then 35 onward, about a half a year later.

Robin however appears on.issue 38 and every issue afterwards.

The story about Robin is that when was introduced sales double. They were reluctant to use the characters. Given lead times in.producing an issue, there was no way they would have known about sales that quickly… yet he is on the next cover, unlike early Superman and Batman.

The covers shows they were enthusiastic about Robin even pushing the Dr Strange story from issue 38 to Batman 1. That story was jarring to the reader because it had Batman kill.

The download you gave reflects that.

I think Jerry Robinson was being funny when he said the name of Robin came from his name.

Robin was included in Batman according to the download as a Dr Watson. If so why is he a kid? Obviously to attract kids but your source doesn’t say so.

The only other thing the download says is that nobody wanted to.publish Superman. Even though Siegel and Shuster were working at what would become DC for years, nobody would look at their new character.

Why are you conrinuing to research this?

You are not looking at authoritative sources, just popular accounts.

Looking back at the Batman Year One page you showed us, I am appalled at thr ignorance of the editors of that work as if Frank Millet started the new Batman and O’Neil and Emglehart never worked on and created a. new version in the 1970s.

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone1950 What are some examples of authoritative sources?

I gave you a link to one.

I don’t know anthing else.

The material would be conversation with the creators, like I did in my Road to Trinity.

It would cover sales data and interviews with the publishers and editors of the time, not summaries of what was in.those issues or stories made up.decades later
You have to remember Siegel and Shuster were violating the copyright of the Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorrro, Douglas Fairbanks films, Flash Gordon, Doc Savage the novel Gladiator as well as John Carter of Mars.
Kane and Finger stole from.the pulps. The phantom, Dick Tracy for the look.of his villians, Flash Gordon for posses, Zorro, the Long Ranger etc.

They cant talk about that and won’t

These were business men and creators, trying to make money, not record history.

They told lies because the truth would get them in.legal trouble.

And you beside, the interest on this is very limited. The popular book cover maybe 5 to 10 pages on this era. And the emphasis is on the creators, not the audience.

There is no there anywhere.

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone1950 Batman didnt appear on several covers between Detective Comics issue 27 and 38 either right?

Yes

Go to Comics

Filter by Era Golden Age

Find Detective

Sort

You csn see no Batman on thr cover for early issues

Which meant the editors and publishets thought the other material in these 64 page comics were more compelling than the Batman stories.

Note in our library we only can see the Batman lead story.

1 Like

Or maybe they wore worried about being sued

Since Finger was stealing stories from the Shadow pulp magazine.

1 Like

So if they didnt know who was even buying the comics back then, and Superman and Batman didnt even appear in the covers for a while then I guess that proves they didnt even have an audience in mind in the beginning, right?

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Except

That Detective Comics involved urban crime

And Action comics had action

1 Like

You have to remember that the Batman and Superman stories were only 8 pages out of a 64 page issues.

If the reader didn’t like the other stuff would they pay a dime for only 8 pages of story.

2 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 Seigel and Shuster originally wanted to publish Superman as a newspaper strip. And newspaper strips were for everyone right?

1 Like

Yes they created Superman as a comic strip in 1933 before comic books ever existed

1 Like

That point would need clarification, since early works such as The Yellow Kid in McFadden’s Flats are, in a very real sense, comic books (though they’re not periodical magazines).

1 Like

I mean Fun Comics in 1935 which was the first on the newstand for a general audience to contain original materal.

Before that comic books consisted of reprints of actual popular comic strips.

2 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 One more question. Newspaper strips were for all audiences, and originally comic books were reprints of newspaper strips. And when National Allied Publications ( later to be known as DC comics ) was founded in 1935, they were the ones to print the first comic book with original material. So were all comic books up until sometime in the 1940s for all audiences and everyone? And what about other media like radio, television etc. Were there even things like, " this is for kids and this is for mature audiences " back then or were all forms of entertainment for all ages back then?

1 Like

I was born in 1950.

I don’t know.

Was little Orphan Annie on Radio only for kids. The sponsor Ovaltine has a secret decoder

When I was a kid Caspar the Ghost and Wendy the little witch was for kids.

The Mouseketeer Club on TV was for kids as was Howdy Doody.

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck by Carl Barks was enjoyed by many types of people.

Were the books kids read like Treasure Island only for kids or were they originally for everybody.

You can only look at the vocabularly, the ideas expressed on whether a work could even be read by a child.

Are nursery rhymes for kids or for parents who read them to children

The Brother Grimm’s Fairy Tales are violent and illogical. They were collected from.women in villages. Are they for adults or kids.

I can’t answer questions of this type.

1 Like

Here is a link for old time radio for kids

If you continue with this

Start.a topic in Iceberg Longe.

You are now perusing non DC related questions.

And if Superman radio was only for kids

Why did the show take on.the Klu Kluck Klan ?

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone1950 well maybe not all entertainment but the comics of original material. Were all comic books for all ages back then until some like the sulerhero comics began to skew more to kids considering that comic books were a new medium from 1935?

1 Like