Titans - Why Was Starfire Changed?

I’m sorry starfire is horrible in titans she gives me no vibe of a authentic starfire

3 Likes

She is great as Starfire. I don’t get what you are trying to say?

7 Likes

I actually think the casting was spot on, but I’ll agree that it just doesn’t feel like Starfire to me. I’m thinking it’s because of the memory loss, and that once she gets her memory back she’ll start to feel a bit more like the warrior princess we all know and love. I’m also adjusting to the idea that even if she doesn’t, it’s ok to have a different version of her for the TV series. Characters grow and change, some things stick and some don’t. I’ll admit I feel this way about Raven too, the character just doesn’t feel like Raven to me. But that’s ok, because that’s this version of Raven and that doesn’t have to take away from any other versions of her that I love, and that doesn’t mean I can’t grow to love this version just as much for its own reasons.

TLDR- I agree that it doesn’t feel like Starfire, I think the casting was great, and just because this Starfire doesn’t feel like “my” Starfire doesn’t mean that’s a bad thing

5 Likes

Honestly, she’s probably giving the strongest performance out of the entire cast. If anything, the bigger disappointment for me is Dick and Raven.

7 Likes

Perfect casting. The character may not align with classic Starfire yet, but she kicks ass and Anna Diop is rocking it.

5 Likes

She is awesome. The hate she is getting is very suspicious and makes me ashamed of those who are basing it on flimsy evidence this early in the show’s run.

5 Likes

well to each his own, but you might be in the minority on this one.

4 Likes

I don’t fully understand your thread. Are you unsatisfied with the actress’s performance? Or costume? Or the way she has been written? Or is this another mad-cause-she’s-not-orange thing?

Personally, she’s my favorite, Anna Diop is killing it.

8 Likes

She’s interesting. I’m mixed on her but am not going to completly judge her until the season ends along with her story arc post memory recovery and further beating close to Dick and her team

She is doing great!

3 Likes

It’s an interesting issue . I was never a huge Starfire fan even though I’ve been reading comics since the mid 60s so it doesn’t jar me at all to see her as she is in the Titans live action series. I think she is a very exciting actress and does the action scenes really well . I am enjoying the mystery of who she is as well.
However, as we’ve been discussing over on the Discord channel on Friday nights after the live viewing , if they did the same thing to say Nightwing or a Supergirl who I do follow more and suddenly Supergirl and Nightwing are Chinese or Russian I would be like why did you do that?

1 Like

@khalifagreen1.55121, what is an “authentic Starfire”? Are you trying to imply that a white actress could have played a orange skinned alien who wears skimpy purple clothing in public better?

11 Likes

Koriand’r is & always will be one of my all time favorites. I don’t see how there’s even been enough episodes to judge harshly yet. Imo it’s quite the opposite, in the small sample size of this show I’ve seen the cast & writers are crushing it. Maybe I don’t fully grasp the question but it’s all positives for me so far, wouldn’t change a thing.

1 Like

So far so good. I don’t have a problem. Still waiting for an episode that explains this version of her.

2 Likes

I was never a huge fan of Kory. I liked her appearances in Teen Titans. But this iteration I’m completely on board with. She still seems to have some innocence but with a more believable attitude for someone who was supposed to be put through brutal situations before arriving on Earth.

4 Likes

Just looking at this thread again weeks later. I think she is still doing great especially when she had the toughest challenge of the four primary characters;

1. She’s African-American. Some people can’t get past that… even in the 21st century.

2. Unlike the others, her character isn’t aligning with previous versions which many of you are comparing her to. I never watched the cartoons or read the Teen Titans comic books, and have since seen a couple episodes and a few of the comic books…this version, the one on Titans, the little we know of her, is interesting to me because of what we are gradually learning.

And because they are making her different from her comic book and cartoon versions, you nit wits who like to spoil things; can’t.

1. Some of you don’t like the fact she isn’t orange all the time; really? If she were orange all the time it would look stupid…and she wouldn’t be black…which could be at the bottom of all this hate.

So… I like her and can’t wait to find more about her. Ann Tiop is now the canon version of Starfire…like it or not.

2 Likes

I like the casting, I like the her portrayal so far. The costume however is appallingly lazy, I get it it would be difficult for a orange person to walk around unnoticed but having her look like a cheap Detroit prostitute is awful. She should have a plot related reason to explain why she doesn’t look like she’s supposed to, lazy writing and design.

1 Like

My only problem with her is the hair, of course I have disliked curly hair (which I have) since I was a kid. Otherwise she is fine, shame the script paints her as so dark natured.

1 Like

Her new outfit is great and especially without the coat. Doesn’t look like a prostitute anymore

I’m not gonna lie, her not being orange qas an issue for me at first. I didn’t care what color the actress was so long as she was orange. But I’m digging this and its realism. Shes fabulous. Raven seems to be getting comfortable with herself which I believe will lead to the Raven we know. Same with Dick, I think now that he is moving past Robin and Bruce he will become the Nightwing we love! Beast Boy is great, lol hes done fabulous!

1 Like