Titans, why the cussing?

Show is great so far, but why the cussing? Younger viewers will miss out on this show. This is going on with a lot of shows. The “F” word does not make the show better, it down grades it.

5 Likes

I agree with you, why they have to use to much languge? I may have to stop watching it unless they tone it down a bit.

1 Like

It is not realistic, not everyone uses that language.

2 Likes

I never get why language offends people. It is realistic for someone like me as it’s as normal as any other use in the vocabulary. It’s mean or vulgar but no biggie at all.

Some people like to cry out “cool or edgy” but it’s not about that to me.

5 Likes

“Not everyone uses that language” not everyone uses that language in this episode. Makes sense that Hank would be the one to mostly cuss

4 Likes

Omg, why does anyone care about adult language in an adult show? I really dont understand, what century are we in? Sure, not everyone swears. At the same time most people dont spout exposition like characters do in comics. It is literally the difference between realistic and unrealistic, if you ask me.
It’s important to know these stories were originally crafted with extreme regulation, how do we know the writers wouldn’t have included crass language if they were allowed to?
Also, I feel like we are being beat over the head with diversity at every turn with the idea that “it is important to reflect the world we live in”. I can agree, so some characters absolutely should swear as well as dish out brutality as that is reflective of the real world.

3 Likes

Not everybody is dropping f bombs every 3 seconds though. It’s only hank that curses the most a a baddie. Makes sense for hank to curse given his personality and especially how the episode starts with him.

4 Likes

Umm… I drop the F bomb all the time around friends that I’m comfortable with. Obviously in public, work, or at family gatherings I do not cuss. It’s called tact. Cuss words can express the magnitude of a situation or a characters personality. We’re getting a look into these characters lives and if part of their personality is that they cuss, then that is who they are. I’m totally fine with it. This show is not for kids anyway.

5 Likes

If you were getting tortured, an f bomb and a few cuss words would come out.

If you came home and saw your gf or wife talking to an old friend that you hadn’t seen for 4 years because of something that happened and he was involved with her…you would say “what f*ck is he doing here?”

Cussing would be no biggie for a hot head like him and some thugs.

Nucular Family are evil androids trying to pretend to be the perfect 50’s style human family. They weren’t expecting visitors and the banging on the door made the dad irritated and so he snapped like a human would but then called down and paid up to a swear box.

2 Likes

Those that have read the New Teen Titans could argue that it was never for kids (until the animated versions). But even the 1980s version were scandalous. Dick was always walking around in his tiny shorts and was shirtless a lot. He and Starfire even did the nasty. And lets not forgot Brother Blood turning religion on it’s head. All of that was almost 40 years ago.

5 Likes

Speaking of the nasty, wasn’t Starfire kinda slutty? I remember there being controversy with her seen as over sexualized by having her sleep with many heroes. That plus her costumes probably were seen as naughty naughty by many

1 Like

@TX, I don’t know if I would say slutty. Overly sexualized yes. If you think the comics version is scantily clad, you should see the one in Injustice 2.

As far as the intercourse goes, she’s slept with both Dick and Roy Harper. I don’t know about anyone else yet though because comics are still new and I have a lot of the universe to explore (much like Starfire :P). But in TNTT, they show dick shirtless staring off into the stars. Starfire is standing in the bedroom door in her robe talking to him. I’m sure it was innocent though :slight_smile:

There really isn’t that much tbh

The Series is rated TV-MA. It is not intended for kids/teens. They have Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go for kids/teens

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t like a lot of cussing either, but, I’m enjoying the show. I just make sure kids aren’t around when I watch it.

1 Like

This isn’t intented for kids. Probably one of the reasons Teen is not in the title and the characters except Raven are all young adults in their 20’s.

If cursing really bug you personally so much, well then I just say…

1 Like

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s, and remember how TV was then. I grew up around cussing, I’ve been in the military and was a prison guard so I’ve heard cussing most of my life, so I can live with it or without it. And I know this isn’t a children’s show. I think it cheapens the show. I read comics growing up and there was no cussing in them and they were great reads, so to take the books and make them into shows is a wonderful thing. So cussing doesn’t add to the show is what I’m trying to say. It’s like taking a work of art and tagging it with cuss words, is it really needed?

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s, and remember how TV was then. I grew up around cussing, I’ve been in the military and was a prison guard so I’ve heard cussing most of my life, so I can live with it or without it. And I know this isn’t a children’s show. I think it cheapens the show. I read comics growing up and there was no cussing in them and they were great reads, so to take the books and make them into shows is a wonderful thing. So cussing doesn’t add to the show is what I’m trying to say. It’s like taking a work of art and tagging it with cuss words, is it really needed?

In the real world we all cuss lol I don’t hold heros to no doing ot themselves lol

1 Like

There was no cussing or derogatory references in comics? Really? The 1970’s and 1980’s were pretty extreme on both. These were the decades that gave us Watchmen, Death in The Family, TNTT, Man of Steel, TDKR and so many other great stories that defined the company. This isn’t the Silver Age.

2 Likes