Titans on doom patrol

Has anyone else noticed the big difference between doom patrol on titans vs doom patrol? Only Rita and Cliff are the consistent characters. Is this more of the separate worlds thing or just a goof up?

2 Likes

I believe I’ve seen an official statement somewhere that said that they’re in similar universes but different continuity.

2 Likes

I ended up not watching all of Titans, but from what I heard, Niles Caulder is played by a different actor as well

1 Like

Yeah, I tried to watch the episode just for the Doom Patrol appearance, but the actor that played Niles laid the accent on a bit too thick. Took me right out of the show.

Did like seeing Raven interact with them, though.

2 Likes

Hey guys thanks for the comments. Yes Niles is played by a different actor but also seems more like a villain than doom patrol Niles. Also Larry is happy having fun cooking he seems to be in great spirits. That is not at all like doom patrol Larry who has massive depression issues maybe he was on an up swing day I don’t know. Then there’s Ice girl I don’t know if she died or ran away. They just cut her out completely. There’s no mention of Gar no pictures nothing it’s like he was never there. Cliff and Rita are consistent with the Doom patrol characters but they were the only ones. One more thing I noticed is the hunter that tells Star fire where gar and raven went says there is a big house on Danny street. Now we know what Danny street is. Now I don’t know if this is planed and is just part of the over all craziness of doom patrol or if it’s Easter eggs from comics or just sloppy storytelling. I just wondered if any one else noticed these things. My wife thinks it’s part of an experiment by Niles. Just thought I’d ask. Did I miss anything? What do you guys think?

2 Likes

My guess…only a guess…might be WAY off…I’m thinking that at the end of season one of doom patrol beast boy will show up and Vic will leave. Jane will be off somewhere. They will stop Mr nobody( but he won’t be gone). And niles will be back. This would put this season of doom patrol a little while before the episode 4 of titans. In titans you see Larry happy and well adjusted. You see Rita relatively less narcissistic. Cliff interacting with the rest of them(unlike he was in the first episode of DP). And they are all getting together more or less as a family. This would also be after the eventual grid disaster coming and Vic would be off getting better and up for joining titans in season 2 coming in The fall. It’s also just the wacky kinda thing that’s doom patrol. Putting the second series to air (doom patrol)in a timeline before the first season to air(titans).

1 Like

It’s really hard to say they’re in different universes when the first episode with Cyborg showed a newspaper article that had a bit about a naked Superboy and Krypto causing a car wreck after they escaped Cadmus.

2 Likes

Cliff is the ONLY member who has been in every version of the DP.

He’s my favorite, a very human man who never wanted to be a hero, but is one of the most heroic characters in the DCU.

2 Likes

They may well be “slightly different universes”, although I’d say a better guess was they couldn’t make all the filming/actors schedules align, to get all the same DP team actors in that Titans episode.

1 Like

@DC-LUCID You might be onto something, only problem with that theory is it would mean audiences would expect Beast Boy to back for season 2 when he might not be able to do double duty.

2 Likes

Heard that the Showrunner said their appearance on Titans wasn’t canon to this show. He didn’t want edgelord titans connected in any way and i don’t blame him.

1 Like

Why do you have to be so extra and say Edgelord? Just say edgy characters and is it even an actual fact that Titans being edgy was the reason?

2 Likes

I think the Doom Patrol was constantly reworked in Titans. Cliff and Larry had differant VAs, I think they TRIED to make them fit the Doom Patrol show (changing the voice actors, mentioning Niles was crippled twice so it’d fit DP’s backstory, showing Rita’s backstory with same footage, etc)

The writers have said they’re not in the same continuity, but I think there’s only a handful of forgivable discrepancies. I do want to see Ryan Potter’s Beast Boy and Joivan Wade’s Cyborg to meet eventually.

And yeah, Titans needs to get its act together while Doom Patrol continues to be great and focused on the actual team

1 Like