Titans Episode 9 Reaction Thread: Spoilers Ahead!

This episode blew my socks off. After the cliffhanger that was “Donna Troy,” i was initially bummed to see this was gonna be a Hawk/Dove episode, but HOLY SHIT they pulled me in! I wasn’t so sure about these two at first, but i am all about them now! I love that they are kind of tackling some bigger concepts with Hank’s head trauma, molestation, and the issues of grief and loss. They’re more than just a pretty couple, they’ve got some real depth to them. The car accident came out of nowhere and literally made me jump in my seat. I would definitely watch a Hawk and Dove series if they dont become part of the main Titans roster!

4 Likes

Great episode! I noticed that D.C is giving Bill Finger some credit! Lol. I might be late noticing but It’s about time. Lol

1 Like

Like a lot of people, I wasn’t all that excited about this episode beforehand, but nevertheless, watched in case there was any vital information retaining to the main plot. I was pleasantly surprised and shocked by how well the episode was executed. Now, I’m also a big sucker for background/origin-based stories as well as some good character development so this episode ended being right up my alley.

The background on Hank and Don as kids: Whoa. The writers were not afraid to touch upon some dark and intense themes (for an already dark and twisted story), and managed to convey the horrific incidents Hank experienced as a child without being too graphic. It also sets up why Hank is so angry and violent-prone in the present, as well as his pill addiction. Then seeing the two brothers as young adults at college – you could just tell that Hank and Don cared so deeply for one another and had an extremely strong connection. Then their deciding to become Hawk and Dove was great and I thought brought them even closer. I respected the writers decision to create a different origin story for Hawk and Dove, by just having them be two humans without superpowers (yet still talented and skilled fighters) and not try to bring in the Lords of Choas and Order, which would have only convoluted the story and made things far too complicated to be fully resolved within the single episode’s timespan.

Dawn is a literal angel. She’s sweet and sensitive, not afraid of her emotions, and still strong-willed and not afraid to speak her mind. Her relationship with her mom was great and it’s too bad we couldn’t see more of that, because Deanna Troi, am I right?? And having Holly mentioned was fantastic as well! But what I like most, I think, is that even though in the comics Dove isn’t supposed to be about violence, this version of Dawn isn’t afraid of it. She’s not as aggressive or obvious about it, but Dawn will do what needs to be done in order for things to become right.

I guess one of the things that bothered me about the episode was that Don was killed off so quickly. He was instantly likable and fun to see. Also being one of the few actors of color on the show, it was disappointing to see him go so soon. But perhaps there will be more flashbacks later on. Oh, and I guess I was just slightly confused by the fact that Rachel asked Dawn to find Jason Todd in the end. Why not ask to find Dick? Because Rachel still doesn’t know that Dick and Donna are on their way to them at this point in time, does she?

Overall, I really did enjoy this episode and will definitely watch again. The actors were great and the emotions felt real. Another job well done, Titans!

6 Likes

Wow. A very heavy episode of Titans this week. I had no idea about the origin of hawk and dove. The original, Hank and Donnie or the new duo Hank and Dawn. But I couldn’t have asked for a better way to be educated. Hanks backstory had me shaken and in tears. People really don’t realize that child predators are so real and all around us. It was something I’m glad they included.
Dove, so poised and beautiful, not to mention incredibly strong. Both physically and emotionally. Yet she also has her past demons that always seem to find a way to creep back into her life.
But nonetheless, the way that Dawn and Hank were brought together was nothing short of an immense horror. I don’t think a lot of people realize what it feels like to lose a loved one. Let alone right in front of you. It gave me chills. The two most important people in their lives, both taken in the same way, the same place, and the same time. It connected them. Even if they didn’t realize it right away. This episode was nothing short of fantastic. I thank DC Universe for giving us a deep look into the real world of Hawk and Dove, and the real struggles that superheros (or anyone who has faced life’s hardships) have had to mentally battle within themselves.

7 Likes

I wasn’t to excited about the episode going in because of the cliff hanger last week. But I did enjoy the show. I didn’t know hawk and doves back story was so tragic

3 Likes

went back to Episode 2, ‘Hawk and Dove’, just to see … it’s totally transformed by the events of Episode 9 … like I mean poignant is too small a word

also, I wish … #RohrbachLives

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this episode. I felt so bad for Hank with everything he had to endure. I am glad Ravens pleas for help were able to wake Dawn up. It should be a good episode next week and hopefully Koriandr will not be looking to kill Raven.

3 Likes

Very emotional episode. James Wong was in the support group. He has ties to DC & Marvel as a stunt performer & he’s the pharmacist in Gotham tv series. Pretty sure that was Rama Kushna in poster above Hanks bed. She controlled Deadman’s fate in brave & bold Dawn of the Deadman. Which also took place in London, as a lot of this episode did. The feminine looking masked picture in the bar looked like it could’ve been Batgirl or Catwoman. I liked when Dawn Granger told Hank no when he asked her to leave after tracking down the abusive coach. That moment showed they were in it together til the end. Subtle changes to characters backgrounds, but they left the most important ones the same. Another great episode imo.

2 Likes

The library fight with Don & Hank was reminiscent of the JLU sports bar fight.

4 Likes

I never thought I’d see superheroes tackling serious drama in such an alternately, aching and numb way. There is something seemingly awkward about it at first because we’ve never seen the subject matter approached like this. It reminds me of the bleak emotional gravity of a film like 21grams – really amazing to see the writers exploring and pushing the boundaries of what superhero storytelling can be. It also references Fight Club, then homages the group therapy scenes from that film (without the cynical irony). Nobody could have expected these two characters to be the most compelling in the series before the show began to air.

Titans is making its characters relevant to a modern audience. The issue of sexually abused children shows that the likeliest perpetrator will be someone in a role of authority that should be protective. Usually it’s a family member or someone they know, not a Silence of the Lambs-style abduction. Of course, there are those who would like for the current battle over sexual abuse to go away, either because some feel the claims are exaggerated, are unable to empathize with pain they haven’t experienced, or because it is discomforting for those many that have enacted it. The story is kind of meta in that it reflects society’s trouble with sexual abuse, while giving the vicarious character and his audience members the chance to confront the abuser. Though, the issue of abuse involving a child in this case seems pretty clear-cut and undeniable. Anyone who would roll their eyes at Hank’s victimization stance should realize by episode’s end that he is no victim. Not anymore. Whatever the case, this is obviously not a show meant for a predator’s approval since they’re clearly not the target audience.

Two moments stood out to me. First was when Dawn says that its not fair she has nobody to blame. This highlights the fact that although Hank has legitimate beef with the coach, he and Dawn really just want to hurt people. This brings a truthfulness to the fore that makes the series unflinching, yet painful in what it dredges up in the viewer. I’m sure everyone can relate, but many times in my life I’ve wanted to inflict pain on others because of the pain I was in. This episode was about feelings of powerlessness and how it inspires violence – a universal theme, but one that is especially prevalent in our current society, on all sides. The refusal to turn away is what distinguishes this series.

Second is the moment where they stand before eachother unclothed. This scene is many things at once. It is incredibly dark in that they are about to have sex after ending a life. The symbolism is hair-raising. It’s a release after the build up of pain. It’s primal in that they’ve committed themselves to extinguishing the lives of those who they have judged to be in violation of humanity. Killing brings them closer to their base human nature in the process. It’s a signal that they are at peace with this decision. It implies that the un-confronted no longer stands between them, as before they were unable to physically connect and slept separately. Now, they stand revealed to eachother. They are bound in grief and join together as inhibitions die along with those they’ve lost. The scene is brutal considering the violence that proceeded it, yet tender in Hank and Dawn’s vulnerability.

Anyone who has been abused the way Hank was would probably have fantasized about killing their predator. The events hold a mirror up to the audience and follow through on the full implications of carrying out their most violent impulses. It’s a depiction of people who have committed to the emotional consequences of doing so, without regret. Without a doubt, the choice and the act would leave the individual with a fundamentally altered relationship to what their senses are responding to externally. Both Hank and Dawn are so raw in their expressions throughout the episode, like an exposed nerve. Minka Kelly is a force as Dawn. In contrast to Hank’s extroverted emotion, she is like a quiet, seething block of misery, in tuned to life’s wrenching incompleteness.

It was brave to convey the pain of emptiness so truthfully in a genre that is not known to pause for emotional realism in the face of death. Though one could say that superheroes are not socially realistic, this offers a layered deconstruction of why a person may turn to violence. There is a realization that for all the resistance to Zack Snyder’s approach to the DCEU, regardless of the flaws, he was trying to grapple with the material from a different angle, love it or hate it. There’s no reason the genre can’t explore human experience in a variety of ways. Experimentation is welcome. Critics can’t claim that the medium both is, or should only be, a passing diversion incapable of handling adult subject matter. It can be a doorway to both the uplifting and the unpleasant.

P.s. sorry for the ridiculously long post, but wow man, that episode was really affecting.

10 Likes

My only problem with this weeks episode was the placement. I feel like it should heve been placed like 2 or 3 episode ago if anyone gwts what im trying to say that is all.

4 Likes

Another great show! I am digging every minute of it! YOU GO DCU!

3 Likes

So nobody’s gonna talk about that sexy nude scene with Dove and Hawk? It was hot my opinion lol

6 Likes

Minka Kelly is absolutely stunning.

2 Likes

I loved the latest episode. I would love to see them in many more episodes.

6 Likes

I loved the episode and I liked that they mentioned Dawn’s sister Holly (later becomes Hawk) . Dawn and Holly we’re my first Hawk and Dove. So I appreciated that.

6 Likes

Should they rename the show to MANIACS? Hawk and dove murder a man, Jason Todd murders cops, Starfire murders FBI agents, and Grayson, he has his demons. The only ones that are kind of normal are Raven and Beast Boy but I fear when Ravens mom dies or betrays her she will become a Maniac too and BB will continue to shred people apart. By the way, I love the show and all the characters!

I hope that this will mean more of Hawk and Dove. These two are awesome as are all the others in Titans. I can’t get enough of Titans and looking forward to more!

3 Likes

This show is so good at many things including easter eggs and references

3 Likes

Can i just say BEST EPISODE OF THE SEASON!!!

3 Likes