Titans 2018 is Not a Good Show (Thus Far)

You could’ve saved everyone the trouble of reading this rambling opinion by simply saying you either don’t like the show or it goes above your head.

But to insinuate that those of us who like the show are somehow “naive” - knock it off. I’m old enough and I’ve read Titans since the early 80s. I don’t need a lecture about my personal tastes. It’s all fantasy and it’s all subjective.

13 Likes

You’re looking for justification of why the community is okay with it!? Why? Some people like it for their own reasons and that’s all to it. Nobody is right or wrong. You make it seem like your opinions is the ultimate truth and everyone else into the show are wrong and it’s a huge where mystery. Don’t be such douche like that and yeah you do have a choice not to watch.

Liking it or not is fair and each their own. I’m loving it and that’s good for me as the show has more episodes and set for season 2. You ain’t a fan of it and that’s fine but don’t come making a thread acting it really is in fact a bad show because you think so and fans are naive and crap

9 Likes

pretentious op is pretentious.

7 Likes

Im totally down with them taking this show a new direction and straying from the comics. Because that has been done before and I want something New, not just a new adaptation of what has been done before. I dont want teen Titans to be like star wars, same story different movie.

4 Likes

I wqtch it, it keeps me entertained each week. I anticipate the next episode.

Stop expecting so much and just enjoy it.

2 Likes

I don’t want to offend anyone… but anyone who likes the show I dislike is naive and lacks life experience. Well… as long as you said you were not trying to get under anyone’s skin before you collectively insulted them… then it doesn’t count… I guess.

Seriously, why do people think everyone is going to agree with them on anything. I am all for sharing opinions on why people think something is or isn’t good, but no matter what said show is some people will like it and some won’t. “is this a good show” is an objective opinion, there is not a “right” answer to that question.

And obviously he isn’t the only one who finds this adaption bad, people have posted before they disliked the show most without questioning people who liked it’s life experience in the world, and Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t give it a 100% in both categories so yes people disliked it. Because everyone in the world is not a collective mind with the same opinion.

5 Likes

I have friends like you OP. They expect everything to be perfect. I can tell they are never happy watching anything because they are constantly looking for things to criticize. I asked one of my friends how he enjoys anything with that attitude. Its not his fault, its just the way he is. He tells me I have lower standards. I argue that I just like to sit back and enjoy things. I like Titans. After the trailers I didn’t think I would like it at all but I gave it a chance. I actually enjoy it. Is it greatness, legendary? No, but what show is? Even the greatest have things about them that aren’t perfect. The father figure taking care of the younger figure has been a story line before the Last of Us. There are only so may story types to explore. Usually when one my friends complains about writing I ask them to go home and write out a script that is better, ask them to come up with a way to do their story in the time allotted and with the budget allowed. I have yet to see one of them come back with something better. Criticizing a show is easy. Trying to do it yourself is a lot harder. My favorite DC show probably ever is Krypton. It wasn’t perfect by any means but it entertained me for ten episodes and I was never bored. I also became invested in the characters, all of them.

As far as Titans, I sit back for an hour watching it and don’t feel like I wasted an hour. I enjoy it. That’s all TV is really supposed to be. I’ve heard a lot of people in my life(and I am 44) say they don’t like a live action comic show or a video game because it is unrealistic. Of course it is. They are made after superheroes and video game characters that are not realistic. If I want realism I would watch the News. I just want to be entertained. I don’t like what DCU has done to Starfire’s story so far. I expected her to know she is an alien. The whole I don’t remember who I am, or what I am, or why I can send massive amounts of fire from my hand and not question it is not what I was expecting and so far I don’t like it. I didn’t like Hawk. But I love the relationship between Dick and Rachel. I think as I learn more about Starfire and Beast Boy I will come to like them too.

So I’m sorry but everybody who likes the show is not wrong. We each watch or don’t watch for our own reasons. Maybe I have by your definition low standards but at the least I enjoy myself for an hour and that is all I can ask for.

5 Likes

I absolutely adore Titans because I can tell they’re setting the story up for character growth. Just like any good storytelling should.

No character should ever be introduced as fully-formed, otherwise, what kind of journey can we possibly go on with them? What can they learn? How boring would that be?

I think they’re killing it and I love these characters.

8 Likes

Are you insane?!? Are you even aware what Titans have become now a days. Titans are flexible now. They have variation wether we like it or not. Teen titans has a perfect mix. Titans go is more comedic. Titans(this) is more dark/serious. Let’s face it Titans have become bigger than one single “tone”. Unlike Justice league is always more consistent. Batman is always dark/serious. Same with Superman he is always kinda dark/serious but lighter than Bats. Wonder Woman is always love/truth etc. Titans just have more variation especially with a character as complex as Raven with all her emotions and personalities, and I believe it’s one of the many reasons why the Titans are the best super hero team ever they have the best chemistry than any other team. You wantTEAM work? TITANS bar none.

I actually really like it a lot. It’s good. Like, SURPRISINGLY good.

3 Likes

I like it, God knows I couldn’t do any better.

1 Like

I think you are doing fans a disservice by calling them naive if they like Titans. They may simply see something in the show differently. I myself have only seen one episode and am reserving judgment for now.

1 Like

Well to be honest I’m a huge fan of doom patrol and really liked that episode a lot but for the first 3 episodes it was kinda anti climatic, so I think the show was building that on purpose so when the tempo spend up it’s really catch your attention. I happen to think most of the things your pointing out is on purpose and the directors know exactly what they are doing

To be honest, I agree. The show has a lot of potential, but the pacing is completely wack sometimes, and because of other DC and Marvel shows doing live action with actors that can really do amazing stunts I was looking forward to a Daredevil esk fight scene from Dick, which didn’t happen. I don’t think it’s a bad show, but I am definitely disappointed with the shows sometimes heavy handed darkness that they just kind of gloss over in favor of characters directly saying their motivations. After seeing the finale, they did get the pacing a lot better there.
Overall I felt a lot of disingenuous character decisions were made. So none of the characters feel like real people.
I still will watch a season 2, but I hope its better.