Time to confess... I've never read the Superman RED/BLUE Arc

Now that 98% of the Superman Blue material is on DCU, has anyone wanting to read it taken the plunge and actually started to read it?

I’ve been re-reading from the beginning, and I’m just about to start on Superman #125.

2 Likes

@Vroom…I’m a little leas than half way through. Posted some first impressions above in this same thread.

less

Just finished this whole run. Thank you DCU! It was…fun…but it lacked gravitas, at least for me. Action packed for sure, and that is something I like in a comic. When it comes to Superman’s new powers though, half the time I didn’t know what the hell they were talking about (“solid energy fields” anyone? Gotta Google that one :joy:). Superman Red gave me a couple of chuckles there towards the end. Must admit, I know nothing of this “Wild Area” and the “Hairies”. Was a bit jarring reading those segments with no background. Felt like they maybe spent a bit too much time on Jimmy Olsen and his side adventures, but it finally tied into the main story nicely at the end. Problem for me now, is figuring out how he merges back. Seems like it happens in a one-shot called “Superman Forever”. Can’t find it on DCU.

1 Like

Superman Forever is print only ATM. There are two versions:

-one with a lenticular cover that features Alex Ross art of Clark pulling open his shirt and flying off in his classic Superman togs
-one with no lenticular cover, but the same AR art of Clark with his shirt open

The “Best Superman writer” thread here has that art in its OP.

1 Like

Thanks for the encyclopedic knowledge as usual, @Vroom!

1 Like

I’ve always heard it was crap, but I’ve only read a couple scattered issues of the run and thought they were fine. In fact, I’m pretty okay with 90’s Superman in general which seems to be blasphemous to some.

Takes more than one person to make the world. We all have unique tastes. Read what you like, my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Blue and Red stuff has its low points, but they’re minimal compared to how much fun the rest of it is IMO.

1 Like

You’re not missing anything. The only thing it was good for was showing what came of it, and how he used some of that power again in destroying Imperiex in “Our Worlds at War” (which is an epic story arc btw)

2 Likes

It was a gimmick that was at best–Meh. You didn’t miss much.

It’s a gimmick. A fun one at times. It feels like there was a bit of a fan clamoring to get him back in spandex so the resolution was rushed and could have been better.

1 Like