Time to confess... I've never read the Superman RED/BLUE Arc

There is always “The Amazing story of Superman Red and Superman Blue” from Superman (1st series) #162. I read it when I was widdle in super spectacular reprint.

1 Like

@DCComics Technically he lost the mullet before the blue/red deal began but it was completely gone from the costume change forward.

1 Like

FYI: if anyone wants the digital single issues of the blue “saga” not everything is available on Comixology at the moment. Superman Forever for example is not. I haven’t checked if the annuals for the five Superman ongoings are available digitally.

The regular issues of Action, Adventures, Superman, Superman: The Man of Steel and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow where Superman wore the containment suit are all available in digital form.

1 Like

I was looking online trying to figure out what issues contain the Red/Blue story and I found one list on Wikipedia but was left confused when I saw comics not listed that feature Superman Blue. Can you help me with what I’m actually looking for?

I think I actually have the DC Universe Classic Superman Red and Superman Blue figures and I also have never read the whole Red/Blue story. I’ve always just liked the Red/Blue designs.

1 Like

Here’s an alphabetical list of everything I’m aware of that featured Superman in his blue and red forms from 1997 to 1998.

Most of this is available via Comixology, however the books not yet available in digital form will feature a “print only” notation. These books are also pretty cheap if you want to raid some back issue bins for them. A few of these are also available on DCU (namely Aquaman and JLA).

The List:

-Action Comics #'s 732-744
-Action Comics Annual #9 (print only)
-Adventures of Superman #'s 545-557
-Adventures of Superman Annual #9 (print only)
-Aquaman (1994-2001) #43
-Genesis (1997) #'s 1-4
-JLA #'s 5-17
-Steel #'s 43 and 50
-Superboy #40
-Superboy & The Ravers #9 (print only)
-Supergirl (1996-2003) #20
-Superman (1987-2006) #'s 122-135
-Superman Annual (1987) #9 (print only)
-Superman Forever one-shot (print only; two covers)
-Superman: The Man of Steel #'s 67-79
-Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #6 (print only)
-Superman: The Man of Tomorrow #'s 9 and 10
-Superman Red/Superman Blue one-shot (print only; two covers)
-Teen Titans (1996-1998) #19
-Young Heroes in Love #'s 3 and 4

Regarding a question previously asked in this thread, Superman chopped off his long hair in Superman: The Wedding Album, which is available in the Comics section.

8 Likes

Also, I’ve read a lot of the Superman Red/Blue story arc-- of maybe even all of it in bits and pieces-- and it’s a good idea that gets out of hand by becoming the main through line of the Superman books, which were gloriously crosscutting at the time, and the blue/red saga just kind of-- stops. But, overall, those days of shield numbered Superman comics post John Byrne are a highlight of Supes’ 8 decades and more run.

4 Likes

Long Supes fan and I’ve also never read the Blue/Red era. It seemed too much of a gimmick at the time.

Now years later, I’ve very interested. As I’ve gotten older the gimmicks of the late-90s seem more fun to me. It’s on my list that I hope to get around to one day.

1 Like

Thanks for the list @Vroom. Wish there was a way to pin it. If they end up not continuing with the collected editions past the already released volume 1, I might just buy the single issues when Comixology has a sale.

1 Like

Took care of that double post for you, @Moro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to make that list Vroom.

1 Like

@moro and @LPCustom76, you’re both quite welcome. You have the knowledge, now use it wisely.

To go forth and read some fun comics of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Created lists for this. One for the Superman titles and one for JLA. Thanks @Vroom! Think I’m gonna forego the collected “Vol 1” I bought a while back and just read all the single issues here. Would the Superman title be the place to start?

2 Likes

@moro, I would look at the lowest numbered issue of each of Action, Superman, Adventures of Superman and Man of Steel to see which has the lowest triangle number on the cover and go forward from there.

I, too, really only read the original Silver Age story. Electric Superman was about the time I stopped reading comics for 20 years.

Thanks @markhb, seems Superman 122 is the starting point.

1 Like

I’m about 40% into this run. So far, it’s enjoyable. The arcs I’ve read so far have been rather simple and easy to follow. In terms of Superman…I would not place this version high on my list. The power set is so different, it might as well be a different hero. The moments when Clark bemoans his inability to do something he used to be able to do before the “change” are frustrating. He always finds a way through his predicament though, which is always one of my favorite parts of a given Superman issue.

My least favorite parts so far:

• The Jimmy Olsen depiction. I don’t know why or when he left The Planet before this run went down, but man…what a self serving fame chaser he’s been so far. Seems like a redemption arc for him is coming up further down the road.
  • Scorn. What purpose this character serves (so far), I have no idea.

My favorite thing about the run so far, is that it’s Clark Kent through and through. Different power set or not, he’s still the country boy reporter with high moral standard we all know.

2 Likes

Don’t know if you read Grant Morrison’s JLA run, but I like how he writes Electrical Blue Superman in his run.

Loves me Superman Blue :slight_smile:

1 Like

@RandallusPrime…the JLA run is on my list…wasn’t aware it’s Morrison…will be interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To quote noted Superman fan Jerry Seinfeld with regards to SB in JLA: “Oh, it’s a scene man!”

ponders what Jare thinks of SB

1 Like

Both sides of the costume was the same, thought that was lazy.

2 Likes