Time to confess... I've never read the Superman RED/BLUE Arc

Yep lifelong Superman fanatic for over 40yrs and I’ve purposely avoided RED/BLUE like the plague. It just always seemed blasphemous and anti -core Superman to me. Am I being stupid? Am I missing out on a great part of Superman history? Is it time for me to get over my RED/BLUE phobia and dive into it? You tell me guys (Most likely Vroom and moro :wink:) and tell me why.

7 Likes

I haven’t read it either, and for the same reasons. I’m going to follow this to see what shakes out from folks who have.

1 Like

Cool let’s see if we can be persuaded.

1 Like

I respect your opinion, at first for a while I did enjoy reading it, then I started missing the original Superman look. Thankfully they did bring back the original Superman by paying Tributes to Superman in each decades. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Reaganfan78 tributes to him from every decade huh? Now that peaks my interest.

1 Like

moro is just as guilty as you @DCComicsCrisis. I started reading comics in the last 7 years or so…and still working on catching up on the major stuff that is of interest to me. Was always very curious about split energy being Superman, but the lack of a coherent collected edition was a turn off (so many Superman titles back then). DC finally released a Superman Blue “Vol 1” last summer, but never released the subsequent volumes. Still in my Comixology unread pile, not for lack of interest, just haven’t got to it. Will be a fun endeavor that I’ll share with you for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy

1 Like

I did request the whole run in the suggestion box forum. But given I have less pull on DC than a spec of dust, I doubt we’ll see it here anytime soon :joy:

1 Like

Actually we all have a decent amount of pull here. They really do listen to us and care about our wants, etc. It’s one of the things I really love about this service.

4 Likes

I love me some 90’s Superman, especially the blue and red suit era.

There isn’t really one single arc though. It’s a costume change for Superman sure, but after that it’s back to business as usual with an assortment of storylines (the Millennium Giants was a favorite of mine) that the blue and later on, red outfits appear in.

Check out the Superman Blue volume one trade for the initial material. Single issues are easy enough to buy digitally or in print too. If you go that route and want every appearance of Superman in the electric containment suit, you best do your homework as Superman wore that suit in all five of his ongoings of the time, plus their Annuals, JLA, and every book he guest starred in that was set in the modern continuity (excluding Superman Adventures obviously).

Check out that era of 90’s Superman. It’s tremendously fun and entertaining!

4 Likes

Vroom you mightve just sold me on it. How long did the RED/BLUE era last? A year? I know it was around '98, '99.

2 Likes

1997 to 1998. The lead-up to the changes begins in Superman #122 and his original kryptonian powers (and costume) return in the Superman Forever one-shot a year or so later. The collector’s edition of Superman Forever features a nifty lenticular cover BTW.

The change in outfit and powers comes as a result of the end of The Final Night mini-series. That said, you don’t have to read that to get why his outfit and powers change.

2 Likes

Cool thanks!

To quote Lt. Cmdr Data: “No problem!” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah man you’re not stupid. The closest I got to the red/blue arc is that justice league action episode.:joy:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of it before but I’ll look it up.

1 Like

Electrical Blue Superman is what got me on into comics! I enjoyed it. I personally liked him best in JLA, Grant Morrison really knew how to make him look cool.

3 Likes

The blue suit/Red suit Superman story was going when I first got into comics, I was probably about 7 years old, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. That being said I remember being confused by it but that’s because I was kid who was only able to get his hands on every other issue. Looking back it be just seems like one of those 90s gimmicks they used to boost Superman sales.

2 Likes

RED/BLUEs when he lost the mullet right?

Alright. Vroom and others got my interest, too.

I think I’ll stick them on my Comixology wish list and pick them up next time they’re on sale.