Tim Drake's Codename

I won’t say what the name is for those who haven’t read Young Justice #8 yet, and all due respect to Bendis (who I like!) but…
Anyone else disappointed/feel like the new name is kinda lazy?

3 Likes

I think somewhere along the lines, Tim lost track of the whole secret identity thing.

1 Like

It’s more than kinda lazy. First Red Robin and now this. Why is it so tough to come up with an identity for him?

The world is a sad and broken place.

I was excited to learn that Tim Drake is finally in the spotlight again with Young Justice, but I never looked into who was writing it. Bendis is writing Young Justice? I haven’t read much of him because I’m not huge into Marvel, but from what I’ve heard, I’m not a fan.

I can’d decide if this is better or worse than Red Robin. I do agree that the Red Robin name was trash and needed to be ditched.

The costume definitely isn’t working for me. I liked the Pre-New 52 one pretty well. It might need a little tweaking, but I think it was closer to Tim’s style.

1 Like

I agree that it seems lazy but it may have been the only bird name they could get approval for. A name like Cardinal or Falcon would suit him better, but Marvel owns the rights. I’m more concerned about the costume (see solicitations for YJ 10)

1 Like

Tim Drake’s new name is cool for me but I am a Duck fan so, my thoughts are a wee bit bias.

Tim Drake’s new name is cool for me but I am a Duck fan so, my thoughts are a wee bit bias.

2 Likes

Honestly, I kind of preferred Red Robin. Yes, it’s just as lazy and sounds like a burger chain (yum!), but at least that name had the excuse of being a callback to Kingdom Come. This is just his last name that HAPPENS to also be the name of a bird.
And, knowing Bendis, we’re ABSOLUTELY getting the following exchange in a future issue: “Wait, so what’s your last name?” “Drake.” “Drake?” “Drake.” “You are a guy named Tim Drake…and you decide to become a superhero named Drake?” “Is that bad?” “It’s bad.”

5 Likes

If you want to name your character after a bird and all the cool birds have been chosen, maybe you should rethink your desire to name a character after a bird.

What about the Peacock? He can cover his costume with sequins and fling out a giant tail to intimidate bad guys and lure the ladies. Genius. Why am I not writing Young Justice?

I think something non-animal related but vaguely intelligent and independent sounding like Rook or Eludidator. I know Elucidator is horrible, but I’m just spitballing trying to find something in the right vein.

The Analyzer!

Tech Support!

I kind of like the Tutor. A freelancer who goes around teaching those in need of it a lesson.

2 Likes

So–in the Young Justice comic, he’s changed his codename to Drake?
Give me a moment.

[inaudible but angry muffled noises]

Okay. My initial reaction is, “this is freaking stupid”, and not just because I have a much better idea for an alternate name, one that’s been used before, but not in a while. It’s right freaking there, people!
Anyway, I then remembered that the original YJ comic was very much comedic in nature. They’re name was borne of a joke, their first foe was a magically enhanced woman with comically large breast and a silly name to match. So in some ways, something as silly as “Drake” would actually fit. If that was the tone of this current series, I could understand making the move. I still wouldn’t be in love with it, but in that context, it’s not as stupid as other things I could name.

3 Likes

I was so excited when I heard they were bringing back the YJ comic series, but I lost all interest when I heard Bendis was writing it. Bendis has completely demolished Superman and much of his Marvel stuff is notorious for being poorly written. While it is true he has created some interesting characters, those characters are usually only good when written by someone else.

1 Like

I recall Chuck Dixon once proposing a short, six issue mini where Tim adopted the Blue Beetle identity to help Ted Kord with a mission (this would be set during Steph’s tenure as Robin). Now, I love me some Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes, but…kinda wished we ended up with THAT for Tim instead of this

2 Likes

@MrMorbach Maybe I’m just being stupid, but what name are you referring to that’s right there but hasn’t been used in a while?

1 Like

@BatWatch Creating a costume with blinding sequins and attracting the ladies sounds more like Dick’s territory than Tim’s :joy:

3 Likes

I had a feeling it was going to be Drake … don’t know how but that feeling was there.

@CaptThunder001 It was a name for Tim’s car in the 90’s and one Damien used just before he died (as a grounding loophole): Redbird.
In fact, if they ditched Steph Brown’s retcon, this would lend itself to a few humorous situations.

2 Likes

@MrMorbach. Oh. Duh! Yes, that would be a MUCH better name

Oh yeah, I remember the Redbird. It’s better than Drake, but I can’t say it really works for me. Nightwing and Red Hood both took identities had differentiated them from the Robin mantle. Why do they keep sticking so close with Tim? It makes him feel redundant when he could be his own guy. I feel like the Red Robin was doing okay with this other than with the name.

It’s true that YJ was a comedic series. Tim actually already had an alias created specially for the old YJ series. Hope this is also temporary.

@CaptThunder

Lol. Now that you mention it, Dick’s original Nightwing costume with the blue body suit and the V neck was kink of reminiscent of a peacock.

1 Like

Bendis doesn’t know how to name characters, IMHO. All of his best creations just have normal people names (Jessica Jones, Naomi McDuffie, etc.), or pre-existing codenames (Miles Morales as Spider-Man…), but when he tries to make a new name, we get “Drake”, or “Ronin”. Ugh.

I haven’t seen the costume yet but I really hope it’s exactly the same as his Robin one but with a D instead of an R.