Tim Drake Spoilers! - Batman Urban Legends #6

And I’ve said my peace. I think it was a business decision and a stupid one at that.

Manga is outselling comics hand over fist and it’s because they concentrate on good art and great “heroe’s” journey stories. (Think “My Hero Academia).

Woke silliness doesn’t bring new readers and only causes old fans so say “screw it” - so they start buy stuff from VizMedia and in 2020 Manga overtakes comic sales in America for the first time.

I’m done now. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a pretty big leap to say one fictional character coming out of the closet is a demonization of all straight white males. I’m sorry you see things that way but it’s just ridiculous.

8 Likes

I will admit that I was very young in the time of Tim’s solo series and I wasn’t reading comics yet. But honestly, I didn’t know about most of those characters. And they are all either bad guys and/or characters who didn’t have their own series, right?

Tim, was a big character as Robin very quickly after he was introduced. I can’t say that I know anything about the innerworkings of DC but I guess that rules about what characters can be or say were different for ones like Robin vs someone like Tasmanian Devil. (who I have never heard of until today) So they could be written in a different way. I really hope that makes some sense.

Non-Straight characters were mostly secondary characters in this time period. Or villains. (As far as I am aware) So to be able to be here and now, where there are so many more LGBTQA+ characters and readers, is just a fantastic growth in comics and life.

Again, I fully admit I wasn’t reading comics when Tim became Robin so if I am completely mis-representing what was going on then, please let me know. This is just my understanding of it as I look back at it now.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m also a straight white guy and I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve never once felt that any efforts to diversify characters like this was ever meant to demonize me. I’ve gotten to see more than enough of myself in comics, and so l love getting to see all sorts of people who are different from me represented in a lot of different ways. It usually makes for more interesting, varied stories, and people deserve to be able to see themselves in comics (and media in general) no matter who they are or where they come from, and efforts like this certainly help to strengthen that

15 Likes

Seems sick. Representation is cool. Tim being bi makes sense given his highly queer-coded history and doesn’t really take away from past relationships. Now it’s time to see if they’re going to see it through in other runs and outside media like Titans on HBOMax.

11 Likes

Why’s that? It’s not like it’s the first LGBTQ+ character that DC has introduced, nor is it the first time we’ve seen a character we previously PRESUMED to be straight come out as something else. Nothing about Tim being bi really changes his character.

9 Likes

Don’t argue with trolls…they just drink the cool-aid…

In all seriousness everyone, I’ve been so happy all day and if you have a problem with Tim Drake being bisexual, then you should look inward and learn what being bisexual means. This is amazing news and I’m so happy that DC did this.

11 Likes

Let’s not jump to name calling or accusations. People can be either happy or unhappy with the direction of this story and character without resorting to either.

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily care if Tim is bi or straight. I do hope quality stories come out of it though. Tim is underutilized and this brings another dimension to his character.

I feel like Steve Orlando’s Midnighter series handled a character’s sexuality very well. He was gay and proud but it was a facit of him not the basis for the entire book.

5 Likes

Hey,

Just a reminder to keep things civil and on topic. I understand that this is a fairly sensitive topic and there’s people on both sides of it. That’s great, diversity is what keeps things interesting.

Just remember to be civil.

7 Likes

Lets just make the whole Batfamily Bi

6 Likes

yeah thats a very popular headcannon that they are all queer :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m indifferent to him being bisexual but I do thank having him break up with spoiler off panel was stupid.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Everything you just said in this post is proof that the best thing I can do here is walk away.

There is no reasoning with this.

5 Likes

So long Dude

1 Like

That’s the hope :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hope to see you on other topics and that we can eventually find the stuff we do agree on.
See ya :wave:.

6 Likes

This is a topic that’s hard to stay civil over, and I’m grateful that many people have remained so, but the non hetero normative people have always been made to sit down and shut up about ourselves. I’m proud of every little step of traction we get. I’m hoping every queer comics reader has something more to look forward to, every week, every month, with a major LGBTQ+ character at DC.

8 Likes

I understand that this is a celebration within the LGBT+ community, but to say that Tim Drake is finally coming out is not correct. The writers have decided to make him LGBT. I have no issue with creating new characters and exploring their sexual preference, but I do take issue with radically changing a long established characters to fit a progressive agenda. I get it that gay and bi kids want to identify with characters too, but what about us straight kids who identified with Tim Drake and now feel shut out? I seriously think this is going in the wrong direction.

4 Likes