Three Jokers: Book Three (10/27/2020)

Here is my take on Three Jokers. This entire post is full of spoilers.

There are a couple things Iā€™ve noticed here and I think people are missing one of the big points of this series.

Iā€™ve read some posts here and watched some Youtube videos online after reading the book and people keeping asking who the real Joker is.

Asking who the real Joker is misses a key point of this series. Theyā€™re all the real Jokers.

To prove that point, let me ask you this. The Joker and Robin were both around for almost exactly the same time. Eighty years, only introduced a hand full of months apart from each other. So, whoā€™s the real Robin?

Asking who the real Joker is; is just as ill-concieved a question as asking who the real Robin is.

Say for a moment that I said that the answer to who the real Robin is; is that the real Robin is Damian Wayne. If thatā€™s my answer, because heā€™s the newest and most current Robin, I have just invalidated every other Robin that has ever existed.

So, to try to pick which Jokers of the three is the ā€œreal Jokerā€ is to miss the point of the story that they were all three the ā€œreal Jokersā€ in their era just as much as each Robin was the ā€œreal Robinā€ of their era.

I think one of the key points of the three Jokers was to give a comprehensive and direct explanation as to why the Jokers before and after the comics code have absolutely nothing to do with each other besides superficial aesthetics. They all three look like ā€˜the Jokerā€™ just as much as all Robins look like ā€˜the Robin.ā€™ They all call themselves ā€˜the Jokerā€™ just like all Robins at one point called themselves ā€˜Robinā€™ in the singular. They each wanted to hold the position of being Batmanā€™s arch enemy. Just like each Robin occupied the position of the person who trained under Batman.

But, give any criminal pathologist a study of the personality traits of the Jokers over these eighty years; and the conclusion will be that these three eras are three different people. They are as legitimately different as each Robin was. They are, in fact, nothing alike substantively.

DC decided with this series to turn ā€˜the Jokerā€™ into a mantle, instead of a single character. DC did this because it was the most direct way to explain why the Golden Age Joker, the Silver Age Joker, and the Bronze to present day Joker are written as if they were three different people.

Trying to explain the eighty years of the Three Jokers as if the Joker was a singular character would be as contradictory as trying to explain eighty years of the Five Robins as if the Robin was a singular character.

The only real difference here between the Three Jokers and the Five Robins (aside from there being 3 and 5) is that the reveal of the five Robins were explicit reveals and the reveal of the three Jokers was an open secret.

The five Robins were shown to us over time directly as each Robin passing the torch. The Three Jokers was instead an open secret that DC finally canonized with this series.

When the comics code came in and the original Joker (date wise) had to be turned from a unhinged mobster into a wacky and zany prankster; the writers didnā€™t give an explanation as to why the Joker changed into an entirely different person overnight. It just happened one day, and no one at that time gave an in-story reason for it. Then, when the comics code was lifted, they wanted a darker Joker again. But, not the mobster. It was the 1980ā€™s, and the mobster was dated as something from the 40ā€™s and 50ā€™s at this point. This is where the writers created the nihilistic sadist. Like before, this change happened overnight and no one at the time gave an in-story reason for this change.

So, these are the breaking points. These are the Three Jokers. The Criminal Mobster from the 40ā€™s to 50ā€™s. The Clown Prankster from the 60ā€™s to 70ā€™s. And the Comedian nihilistic sadist from the 80ā€™s (The Killing Joke) to the present day.

These lines were drawn by the original creators, because of the comics code coming and going, but without any in-story explanations as to what happened to the Joker or why the Joker changed.

So, Batman: Three Jokers comes in after all this time and instead of keeping the decades long ruse that somehow these three different characters that have three completely different personalities are somehow one character; decides to canonize the obvious and say that they are three different characters because there is no way to reconcile them together as one. Because the people who broke Joker going in and out of the comics code didnā€™t reconcile him as one at the time of the breaks. They broke him, gave no reason, broke him again, gave no reason again. So, they left the Jokerā€™s personality continuity as a complete and total mess. Three Jokers is finally mopping up that mess that DC has inherited from its own past in the only logical way that it can be mopped up now; by turning the Joker into a mantle and retroactively drawing canonical lines separating him into different characters going in and out of the eras of the comics code.

The same goes for people asking for the Jokerā€™s real back story. Again, each Joker has a different back story. They are three different people. Do the five Robins have the same back story? No; of course not. Why would they? Theyā€™re five different people.

One question I have seen raised is one that was thrown to us as readers by the Comedian at the end. Who was the original Joker?

This is a really good question, actually. Comic timeline wise; that would obviously be the Criminal. Butā€¦ story line time wise; thatā€™s put into a lot of question. The Comedian himself says he was, but then turns around in the very next sentence and says that the Criminal was.

I tend to think it was the Criminal. The Criminal says ā€˜before Batman, I ran this town.ā€™ Batman says, the Criminal reminds him of the first time he ever encountered the Joker.

I think the Criminal and Batman are far more reliable people to trust here than the Comedian.

The Comedian told us, in The Killing Joke, that he often remembers his back story one way and other times other ways. That he himself prefers his back story to be multiple choice. The Comedian tells us here, in three Jokers, that he doesnā€™t want the Joker to be a defined concept. This is different from the Criminal who tells us that he does want the Joker to be a defined concept word for word in this issue. Just another example of how these three Jokers are three different people with three different personalities that can have different goals from each other.

Many have called the Comedian an unreliable narrator by his own admission, as far back as in The Killing Joke. Three Jokers takes this a step further and has the Comedian tell us, by his own admission, thatā€™s heā€™s an intentionally unreliable narrator. The Comedian wants the Joker to be a mysterious and undefined concept on purpose. This constant misdirection is on purpose.

So, because this misdirection is purposefully unreliable and contradictory; the safest thing to do is to just throw out everything that the Comedian has to say about who the original Joker was.

This makes the original Joker the Criminal for four reasons.
1: It makes sense with comic release dates.
2: Batman says he is.
3: The Criminal says he is.
4: The Comedian misdirects on purpose and so his words mean nothing on this topic.

I think some people have missed the point as to looking for the original Joker. Itā€™s not a bad thing to look for this. The story itself invites you to. But, many seem to be emotionally taking that quest of who the first Joker was as meaning the same as who the ā€˜realā€™ Joker is. As if the community can somehow make the other Jokers ā€˜fakeā€™ by finding the ā€˜realā€™ Joker by finding the original Joker. Again, this is a quest of validation by trying to call one Joker real over the others by assigning more value of legitimacy to the original Joker. As if somehow the original is ā€˜realā€™ and the others are ā€˜fake.ā€™ Again, thatā€™s as pointless as trying to say Dick Grayson is the ā€˜realā€™ Robin because heā€™s the original Robin and all Robins who came after Dick Grayson are somehow ā€˜fakeā€™ Robins.

I think this is all interesting, from a psychological perspective, because itā€™s an interesting case study in fandom. What happens when you canonize the obvious but unspoken?

I think itā€™s been obvious that there were three Jokers for decades now. Itā€™s a rather long standing fan theory to explain away the personality inconsistencies that arise if you try to say that the Joker is one person. DC essentially canonized the fan theory because itā€™s the only good explanation that can be given that makes any real sense.

My take away, is that some people are in a sort of shock and denial phase at this point. The Joker has been seen as one character by many of the fans for years. So, the first reaction from many fans was to try to push this new idea out of the way be constantly asking if it was canon so that they could easily write it off as not canon and not have to think about. When it was confirmed to be canon, the next step was to try to say it was multi-verse Jokers. When it was confirmed it didnā€™t have anything to do with Jokers from different universes, the next step was to try to say one of the three was the ā€˜realā€™ Joker while the rest were essentially ā€˜fakeā€™ Jokers. When that didnā€™t work, the quest for who the original Joker began. Some people think that the idea of finding who the original Joker is gives more ā€˜realnessā€™ to the original Joker. When people realize that all three Jokers are the real Jokers, regardless of who the original Jokers was, the real take away will eventually became clear to everyone.

1: The Joker was broken by the comics code coming and going.
2: Canonizing the fan theory that heā€™s been three different people this whole time is the most direct way to fix the comic code coming and going breaking the Joker.
3: Each Joker is real and legitimate and should be given the same proper respect as each of the Robins.
4: The debate on who the original Joker is might go on forever. But, again for my take on it, I go with the Criminal. But, I think healthy debate is a good thing on this topic.

What I donā€™t understand is why the three Joker concept is seen as so shocking and bothersome to some people. It makes perfect sense to me. Itā€™s basically like paving over pot holes. The Joker was broken twice with no real good in-story reason ever given either time. He was broken so badly that he became effectively three different characters. I think itā€™s better for canon to just canonize him as three different characters rather than leaving him as a mess of three different personalities that donā€™t fit together as one character. What they did here was the responsible thing to do for the Joker mantle.

And, look, they left us with the Joker most people today actually like anyway. So, itā€™s not like much really changed in the modern cannon. It was more like a retroactive story patch than a modern canon overhaul.

5 Likes

Parts I liked :

Parts I disliked : Everything else

Okay but actually I loved the art, that part was amazing! I just have weird feelings about the Jason/Babs romance it just doesnā€™t sit right with me. I canā€™t compare this to stories like The Killing Joke because I havenā€™t read much about the Joker yet, but If you donā€™t compare it to other origin stories and just read it as a stand-alone, I loved the story.

Did I mention I loved the art? I loved the art.

1 Like

I think this issue was a OK way to end the story with a sort of low blow near the end. I feel that the retcon at the end destroys the purpose of the Jokerā€™s philosophy and seems like a poor way to end the book, however overall it was solid and the varientā€™s will be hung on my wall soon hopefully. They are amazing and will be valued highly in my collection.

1 Like

The answer to your question on whether or not Batman: Three Jokers is canon. Also some more info about the story that might be considered spoilers. I donā€™t really think it is considered spoilers. But, just to be safe, I marked it that way anyway.

Yes, according to its writer, Batman: Three Jokers is canon. Also, in the same article, the Jokers are not from different universes.

Batman: Three Jokers: Geoff Johns Debunks a Fan Theory About the Clown Princes of Crime

ā€œIā€™ve never really told a Batman story. Iā€™ve done Batman: Earth One, but thatā€™s a different, younger low-tech version. This was the first time I had a chance to write a real Batman story, in continuity, with The Joker. Thereā€™s so many amazing stories out there about The Joker, and I didnā€™t want to tell another one unless we had a different story and explored something new. Itā€™s not a parallel Earth story. These three Jokers are not from different Earths. We tried to make it as grounded and personal as possible.ā€ - Geoff Johns - Batman: Three Jokers Writer

2 Likes

Jason Todd Question.

I liked the idea of Jason Todd becoming the Fourth Joker. Was I wrong to think this was a good idea? Iā€™m still pretty new to Batman. So, was the idea in Issue 2 something that was being really considered? Or, was this something people who know more about Jason Todd knew was not going to happen because it wasnā€™t in Jasonā€™s character to become a Joker? Would his fans not have liked him to become the new Joker?

I wouldnā€™t have liked Jason becoming the next actual Joker. A temporary exploration of that path could be fine if handled well, but I like Jason fighting villains.

2 Likes

I would hate that so much. Jason is driven by getting back at Bruce and killing the Joker. Their reasons to kill are completely different : Joker kills because it amuses him, Jason kills to protect others. Even when he wasnā€™t thinking right under the effects of the Lazarus Pit, he only killed people he believed deserved it. A lot of the reason I love Jason Todd is because he is so different from the Joker.

2 Likes

Thank you. That helps explain that better to me. Iā€™ve only started getting into Batman seriously about a year ago. I donā€™t know near as much about Jason Todd as I do Batman and the Jokers.

I have only a cursory understanding of Jason Toddā€™s story. I read A Death in the Family and watched Under the Red Hood. I come from more of a horror movie background, especially 1980ā€™s films. So, to me, it looked like an interesting idea. But, then I started to wonder if it would really be in character for him or not and whether or not his fans would like it. So, these comments have helped me to better understand why they chose not to go that way.

1 Like

Exploring that thread may be interesting for a hot-off-the-press ā€œTales of the Dark Multiverseā€ book, but I think itā€™s something that would be best left untouched in main continuity. I canā€™t say that Iā€™m the worldā€™s biggest Red Hood fan, but I feel like with everything thatā€™s been going on with him character-wise, turning into the Joker would be a serious step in the wrong direction for that character.

1 Like

A huge thought about the Comedian.

Does the Comedian know his wife and child left him?

I was thinking about Three Jokers and the reveal at the end. But, that made me just now think about the opening of Issue 2.

The second Issue opens with the Comedian having a reenactment/flash back/day dream about his wife and son being afraid of him.

How does he know exactly what his fully grown son looks like when she ran away before birth? Is this merely artistic license?

Also, I didnā€™t really get domestic abuse from The Killing Joke. Knowing what the Joker became, I can certainly see it having been there. So, maybe thatā€™s part of what the Comedian meant when he says he remembers things in different ways. Maybe he edits out those parts. But, in The Killing Joke, the worst of it we see in those glimpses is him arguing with her because he feels heā€™s not going to make it as a comedian and wonā€™t be able to support her and the baby.

So, why would he think she has any intention of running away with the baby? Like, really? You can tell in The Killing Joke that he certainly believed that they died at the time.

So, why is it that Issue 2 opens with him having such a now clearly seen as on the nose daydream?

Could it be that in the many years sense that the Comedian has found out that his wife ran away with his child? I mean, if he doesnā€™t know, how else do you explain him being spot on in this opening day dream?

Does he know where they are? Was he so hurt by her running away that he simply let them go and balled up the pain to fuel further insanity? Or, does he knew she fled but simply doesnā€™t know where they are?

But, this questions keeps haunting me now that Iā€™ve connected these dots in my head. If he really believed she died and really has no idea that she ran away to escape him; why is he daydreaming that sheā€™s afraid of him with a fully grown boy that looks just like he actually looks even though heā€™s supposed to have never seen him before because she ran away before he was born?

I think that totally makes sense and is a good idea, however how it ended with Joker now Batmanā€™s greatest enemy and forgiving Chill I thought was a solid ending. Then it did the retcon with The Killing Joke and my hopes were lowered a bit

All he knows is that they are dead, and I really donā€™t like that retcon. If you were to take the Jason/Barbra and the end with the retcon, I would not have a issue with this and it would be a perfect 10/10. however those two things drag it down to a 8/10 for me. Solid story with some fault, but the art saves a lot of it.

This is me just showing offā€¦

4 Likes

Anyone else notice this in Book Three? When Batman and Joker are in the GCPD van talking, Joker reveals his whole scheme and then, right at the end, talks about how heā€™ll cut Batman and keep twisting the knife until they both die together. Obviously, weā€™ve seen Joker use knives and all sorts of other weapons before, but the phrasing of that line reminded me a bit of the Batman/Joker showdown in ā€œThe Dark Knight Returnsā€:

I donā€™t know if this counts as an Easter egg reference or if itā€™s meant to feel more like grim foreshadowing, but I figured Iā€™d bring it up. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Greetings. Gothamites! Newb here, but lifelong fan of all things DC. This book series has been the first I actively grabbed from my local comic slingers. I was titillated by the premise and gobbled up the first ish immediately. There is something attractive about the idea that the Clown God ā€˜oā€™ Chaos is just that: a force of nature or more accurately, an incurable and virulent disease that is almost 99.9% fatalā€¦ The reality is that within some is the seed that can blossom into madness. At least thatā€™s what I gleaned from the revelations in Ctime Alley. My only only complaint is I hotta have the backstory of the other twoā€¦ maybe even a revenge plot on the Last Joker by an old henchman. But hearing the stories of The Criminal and The Clown would be nice.
Also, RIP Gaggy.
(Reslly Inappropriate Pun)

1 Like