Thoughts on Tom Kong’s Batman run

I’ve been reading King’s Batman since the inception of Rebirth and there have been only a handful of issues I enjoyed. For most of the series, the artwork has been spectacular and I guess that’s what keeps me on board. But for the love of God–get to the point! In previous years, King’s entire run to date would have taken up two dozen issues and a couple of annuals. I’ll stick around for the “big finish”(?) but I also eagerly await his replacement.

I love his run, but feel he made a mistake taking 25 issues to hit rock bottom. Vol. 9 Cold Days is really good and I liked the Fall and the Fallen and City of Bane is really interesting BUT Nightmares is only enjoyable as a binged set of one shots which still isn’t great.

Honestly Nightmares is the only arc that I haven’t enjoyed.

1 Like

I have all of the individual issues from his run and then I won the trades through War of Jokes and Riddles. I love everything up until issue 24. Jokes and Riddles was very underwhelming to me and it could have been so much more.

1 Like

Overall a fan but haven’t been reading it for the last year. I won’t defend every decision in the first fifty-five or so issues I read, but overall, it delivered many more amazingly great moments than bad moments for me.