Thoughts On The TITAN series

for me personally its hard to compair doom patrol to titans because their different doom patrol was directed more towards storyline and more emotional stuff were as titans was more towards action and killing they are very different it depends on what you like if you love storyline build and direction doom patrol is the way to go you want action with killing or blood spilled titans is the way to go but for me i enjoyed both at first i thought titans was gonna be pure trash and after watching it i had a different answer after i finished season 1 and doom patrol i was already excited for im pumped for all the orginal shows espically harly quinn looks good im loving all the shows

1 Like

I personally think that Titans season 1 was really good and canā€™t wait for season 2. The acting was amazing. Story building was good as wellā€¦ I canā€™t say if Doom Patrol was better or worse I havenā€™t watched itā€¦

Titans was head and shoulders above the snooze fest of doom patrol. You have to actually think about it on a deeper level. Doom patrol is great for people who donā€™t care for deeper shows.

1 Like

@mudlakejs Youā€™re kidding, right?

2 Likes

Iā€™m kind of using this thread as a repository for my own reviews of the series episode-by-episode, so here we go:

Having watched the second episode of the series, TITANS reminds me very much of the MCU Netflix series, both in terms of narrative structure as well as tone and aesthetic, and this is very apparent in ā€œHawk and Doveā€, which felt like it could have come right out of something like DAREDEVIL in the way that it split its narrative between the pairs of Hank and Dawn and Dick and Rachel before bringing said pairs together and tying all of the charactersā€™ stories together in a way that propels the primary narrative forward while also building on the foundation set by the seriesā€™ eponymous Pilot.

ā€œHawk and Doveā€ also goes much further than said Pilot in establishing why it needs to be judged on its own merits and not by peopleā€™s expectations of what they wanted to see because it is through the events of the episode that TITANS establishes that itā€™s going to be much more of a character-focused drama than a ā€œpopcorn flick-yā€ superhero show, with the more ā€œsuperhero-yā€ elements being present yet somewhat ā€˜in the backgroundā€™ to a much greater degree than the other series in which Greg Berlanti and Co. have been involved.

ā€œTitansā€ sets up Dick and Rachel as the seriesā€™ protagonists and introduces Kory and Gar as its deuteragonists, and ā€œHawk and Doveā€ sets up the seriesā€™ first set of tritagonists (in Hank and Dawn) and antagonists (in the ā€œNuclear Familyā€). We also get more on Dickā€™s internal struggles and how they parallel what Rachel is going through, which is set up in the Pilot but becomes much more important now.

2 Likes

I find Titans fair at best. The decision to make it R rated is an abject idiotic decision as it adds nothing yet creates an alienation of families

1 Like

I loved Jason Todd in Titans. He was just hilariously edgy and the actor resembling Dante from DmC was just poetic. However, the rest of the show was quite underwhelming and I had a lot of issues with it that @Awesome_Squid covered. Also I am a little disappointed that the most enjoyable part of Titans for me was something that was so bad that it was good.

1 Like

Titans was decent primarily because of the characters, especially (and kind of sadly) the secondary ones. The episodes featuring Hawk and Dove, Jason Todd, and Doom Patrol were the standouts. The Titans themselves were ok overall, though their characterizations need some work (mainly Dick and Rachel). Anna Diop was a big standout for me though. What brought the series down was the writing. Never could decide what it was trying to accomplish, or how to balance side plots with the overarching narrative. The dynamics amongst the characters, as well as the decent direction, action, effects, etc. kept me coming back, but they really need some new writers for season 2.

4 Likes

Titans seriously needs to get rid of that god awful blue filter. Most of the scene are tinted in this blue instagram filter and it makes every location look the same. Also Robotman gets more character development in one episode than Dick Grayson got in 11 episodes where he whines about his darkness.

8 Likes

I found the Titans to actually be my favorite of the new seriesā€¦ I enjoyed the acting & the story line. The actors an actressā€™s were excellent. Loved the action ā€¦I am only three episodes in with Swamp Thing, I was impressed by set an costumes, amazing graphics ā€¦ but, I still feel Titans is better & what Iā€™m looking forward tooā€¦

1 Like

Titans was much better than I anticipated. Hawk & Dove, Doom Patrol, Donna Troy and Hank & Dawn were my favorite episodes.

However, I think that indicates that the main cast arenā€™t as interesting to me as some of the guest stars, so I think the writing/producing team have some work to do in the second season.

I did enjoy Doom Patrol more - but DP also got more episodes.

3 Likes

I thought Titans was decent but unexpectedly I really fell in love with doom patrol the only exposure to doom patrol I had before this series was Gerard ways run which I didnā€™t like at all but since I watched the series I have read grant Morrisonā€™s run and I love it so much

1 Like

Iā€™ve enjoyed the Titans series for three big reasons. 1. Itā€™s not super cheesy like the CW shows (which are fun in their own right, but I prefer less CW unrequited love triangle cheese). 2. They donā€™t shy away from actually putting superheroes in costumes and letting them be superheroes. So far the story has been solid, my favorite part is them working in Hawk and Dove.

1 Like

I loved it only thing I didnā€™t care for was how starfire looks but guess that me beening picky lol

Titans is not only my favorite series of all time, but one of my favorite things! Season 2 is only going to increase this! The lineup of characters coming is nothing but a good sign. Iā€™m really looking forward to them actually being the Titans we know.

I donā€™t really know what to think. It was competently acted, directed and staged, but it was the definition of dark-for-darknessā€™s-sake. Doom Patrol is, too, but itā€™s also charming and ridiculous (so, super Vertigo).

3 Likes

Also, Doom Patrol is super well-acted, if nothing else.

2 Likes

A few thoughts on ā€œOriginsā€, done bullet-point style:

• I liked that the episode brought Rachel and Kory together, but it wasnā€™t really necessary to spend so much time getting them to St. Paulā€™s Convent

• The writers really ought to have made it more clear-cut that Sister Catherine genuinely cared about Rachelā€™s safety but was trying to protect her in a way that was seriously misguided instead of leaning into the ā€œscary nunā€ trope

• Teagan Croft and Ryan Potterā€™s scene was fun, but I canā€™t help but feel as if it might have been better to have paired Rachel and Gar together after she ā€œescapedā€ from the convent

• One of the Titans-related podcasts I listen to claimed that this episode confirmed that the Nuclear Family were Androids, but I really didnā€™t get that feeling at all

• I really wish there was a way to translate Tamaranian because I really want to know what Kory was saying and what was written on her ā€œmurder boardā€

1 Like

Titans is excellent! I like it better than Doom Patrol and thatā€™s hard to do. Swamp Thing is the best, though.

1 Like

My review of ā€œDoom Patrolā€:
I have a pretty strong feeling that my impressions of this episode are going to differ greatly from most other peopleā€™s since at the time it premiered, there was still the belief out there that it was a backdoor pilot for the Doom Patrol TV series, but since I knew going into my viewing that such wasnā€™t in fact the case, I was able to appreciate it strictly for what it brought as one piece in a story that wasnā€™t about them.

I mentioned in my review of ā€œOriginsā€ that it might have been better to hold off Raven and Garā€™s first meeting until the opening moments of this episode and I stand by that opinion, alrhough some of the dialogue wpuld have had to be changed in order for that to have happened.