Thoughts on the movie man of steel?

I’m personally a big fan of it, but what’s your thoughts on it?

4 Likes

Thought it had some good ideas that were not executed very well. Clark Kent/Superman barely has any dialogue in both MOS and BVS which imo is a problem. They also get way too heavy handed with the Jesus symbolism. Structure wise the movie itself feels very disjointed. Especially the third act which is just action action action. Ultimately it’s pretty evident that David Goyer was trying to recreate Batman Begins but with Superman instead of Batman when writing the script and it didn’t really pay off well since the movie itself is still polarizing to this day.

1 Like

I love it. Definetly has issues but overall, it’s my favorite Superman film! I’m probably one of the few who enjoys the third act and the action action action

4 Likes

Love it.

5 Likes

Love this movie!

5 Likes

I do not think that zach Snyder really understood the character. Superman is not someone who really feels burdened by human. He shouldn’t have conflict about saving people. In other media, like the dcau, Superman is a really chill dude, like in the comics. I love zod and Lois in this movie though. Henry Caville is my favorite looking Superman though. He is also a really good actor.

2 Likes

I love it visually. It’s a gorgeous movie. I also like a lot of the other aspects. Pa Kent’s death should have been handled better, it was sloppy and unnecessary the way it happened. The stuff on Krypton was great, but it was too long and took away from Superman’s screen time. It felt like we went from Krypton right into Superman vs the Kryptonians without much in the middle. While on Krypton, we’re not spending any time with our main character so it just is a waste of time. We can spend time on Themyscira because Diana is actually there and we see her character and see her training/interacting with other characters, but on Krypton we just see Jor-El. Zod and Lois were great. I really love the Man of Steel Lois Lane. Faora was really cool too.

2 Likes

Best Superman movie yet.

4 Likes

Love it. My second favorite live action Superman movie after Superman: The Movie. I think it’s exactly what a Superman reboot needed to be.

6 Likes

Beautifully shot movie, greater depth than any MCU offering. Really would have liked to have seen a MOS 2

6 Likes

Loved it. And would like to see Faora come out of the phantom zone and try wipe out Earth with Darkseid or some other villain

3 Likes

Great action, music and cast. Awful depiction of Superman’s character arc and his adopted parents gave the worst advice ever.

So I’ll say it’s a bit of a mixed bag for me.

1 Like

Most accurate Superman movie ever

4 Likes

It was a bit of a mess. Henry Cavill was a good choice but Amy Adams was miscast. She never gave me the fast talking hard as nails yet vulnerable Lois I need. Villians were lame, an invasion of Kryptonians takes away the focus of Last Son of Krypton. Clark going to find himself and growing a beard and working on a fishing boat was dumb. Clark as reporter was shoe-horned in at the end so no newsroom chemistry with Clark and bullpen. Also he didn’t appear in his drab washed out costume until last act. Killing Zod was fine but over one random dude? Really? Shouldn’t Lois have been at the brink of death? Not much in the way of a sense of joy anywhere except his learning to fly scene. Unnecessary reboot and Scott Snyder’s vision was as drab and washed out as the costume.

1 Like

To abfgsmw, I’d argue that even if he found a way to stop that family from getting killed, the movie still would’ve ended with superman killing zod. Like zod says himself, “either you die or I do” he really had no other choice. He was never going to stop killing people and there was no non lethal method of taking him down at that point.

1 Like

I was never a fan of Amy Adams as Lois Lane. No knock on Adams as an actress. She just didn’t scream Lois to me. The depiction of Krypton was awesome. I wanted to see more. Glad they just moved fast with the origin story. Hated Supes killing Zod. Maybe find a way to send Zod back to the phantom zone? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’d love to see Faora return. I developed a substantially higher interest in her after Man of Steel.

3 Likes

Superman killing Zod never bothered me. He’s killed Kryptonians in the comics under extreme “this is the only way to defeat them” situations (Superman volume two, number 22 or 23. It’s one of Byrne’s last issues) so being in a tight spot in the movie and doing it made sense to me.

Plus, Superman was still in the infancy of being a superhero. The Man of Steel Superman isn’t the Superman that can pull an ocean liner out of the ocean while knocking out Intergang in one fell swoop and putting out a huge fire all at once. It just isn’t. He’s still gaining experience at the whole “hero to the world” gig. This is a Superman who is learning as he goes along and you just know that if he WAS the “can do it all at once” Superman people would have complained at that and wanted to see him learn as he goes.

I think killing Zod was a learning step. Superman had yet to be in a situation where he had to save other people that were directly in the way of a physical assault from Zod and to him in his limited experience, it seemed like the only way to diffuse the situation. I think afterward, Superman did realize other ways he could have stopped Zod and would put those to use when in a similar situation in the future.

6 Likes

MOS is a mixed bag for me. It was beautifully shot, and Henry looks the part. But it needed more Clark Kent character and personality development, and better dialogue.

Clark is a funny guy, but that wasn’t conveyed in the film.

Clark letting Pa Kent die in a tornado doesn’t fit the Clark Kent I’ve come to know in the comics.

As for Lois, I like Amy Adams as an actor. But I couldn’t connect with her as Lois. I wanted a fiercer, tougher, snappy Lois. Also, I just didn’t feel any chemistry between Lois and Clark. They’re both great actors, so I think something was off with the story.

To me, the scene changes were jarring and there were too many flashbacks.

The entire Krypton scene was a MASTERPIECE. It was beautifully done with excellent acting and cast. As was the first flight scene. And the fights scenes. But overall, I would’ve preferred less fight scenes and more character development.

Faora was great.

Costumes were amazing.

I’m looking forward to MOS 2 though. I think it’ll be better.

1 Like

I just hope the continued rumor(s) of Matthew Vaughn directing a new Superman movie are true. I don’t like Kick Ass but Kingsman (first, didn’t see the second) was fun and I hope he could bring that fun to Superman.

2 Likes