Thoughts on "Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow"?

Tom King can be hit or miss for me. His run on Batman was underwhelming, didn’t care for Batman/Catwoman and I hated Heroes in Crises. But I thought Omega Men was pretty damn good and Mister Miracle was great. And since they are turning this 8 issue story into a movie, I decided to check it out.

The art is beautiful. And I didn’t feel betrayed by the fact that the title character isn’t technically the main focus to an extent. It still showed what kind of character she is and ehat makes her different from her cousin. Probably the most honest depiction of her. The adventures and action were great and I did like how the type of story changed a little bit from issue to issue.

If there is one thing I’m still unsure about, it’s the final fate of Krem. It didn’t end how the beginning of the story implied which is good. But I’m still not sure how to feel about the actual ending. For those of you who have read this story, what are your thoughts?

514Ye1z8-wS

5 Likes

The art is amazing and…
The art is amazing!

4 Likes

That means you weren’t a fan of the story, am I right in assuming that?

2 Likes

The story is very much inspired by westerns like True Grit and for what it is, it has a great atmosphere and the art help make this story stand out. I am mix how the portrayal Kara is handled here with Tom King writing her somewhat cold compared to what I am used to. That being said, I don’t hate it as while Kara could be mistaken as a carbon-copy of superman/clark kent nice guy, I do forget that she can occasionally be characterized more moody and a hardcase in other comics.

While not in love with the story, it does have it’s moments and it’s a good way to showcase a evolution for Supergirl character that is more independent from Superman more optimistic demeanor.

3 Likes

I really liked it. It actually made me cry when we had the mini origin story for Kara in the second to last issue (I think that’s where it was, I read the trade.) It was different interpretation than I’m used to, and I liked seeing Kara from the point of view this little alien girl. And of course, the art is beautiful.

But I didn’t like her swearing all the time. I think it was meant to be funny but it didn’t work for me.

4 Likes

I liked the story and development of supergirl. I believe she is underrated and not used enough and deserves the spotlight.

On a separate note Supergirl: Woman of Tommorrow #1 value is rising due to the announcement of this series becoming a movie and im predicting it’ll rise more and I intend to get my copy graded

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m a big fan of Supergirl. She’s one of my top five DC characters, and I was not a fan of how she was portrayed. It kind of felt like how Zack Snyder would write her.

5 Likes

No. If it was Snyder, she would have straight up killed Krem herself

3 Likes

personally i like how she was portayed it definitely shows the differences between her and her cousin. but it shows how caring and kind she is. With Kara cursing helps her be more relatable to most readers (at least to me anyway). The scene where she saves the purple baby and helped the green aliens was really touching to me as a reader. Scenes like these are inspiring to me. :00_supergirl_arrowverse:

3 Likes

Agree that King is hit or Miss, this was a huge hit for me

2 Likes

What were the ones that you liked?

2 Likes

His Batman run (most of it), I thought Rorschach and Strange Adventures were really good, Heroes in Crisis was a great idea that starts strong before losing its way because of higher up mandates. Vision for Marvel was A+

1 Like

I have yet to read Strange Adventures. His Batman run was underwhelming. Still mulling over Rorschach

2 Likes

It’s honestly my favorite Supergirl story. It’s a coming of age story disguised as a revenge story with the ultimate theme being overcoming trauma by the choices you make. It also allowed itself sub-plots within the greater plot like the amazing story told in issue #3.

Kara’s characterization never bothered me. She’s been characterized as a bit moody since she returned to the mainstream universe in 2005. I love Silver Age Supergirl stories but that’s more because of my greater love for Silver Age Superman and less because of Kara’s personality in those stories. Her character arc in Woman of Tomorrow makes more sense to me. Unlike Kal, Kara didn’t arrive on Earth as a baby. She got to grow into a teenager on Argo while everyone she knew and loved died around her. Then she shows up on a planet with a foreign culture that treats her as a potential threat because of her abilities. That kind of trauma is going to affect how you turn out. It gives Kara an edge, but she ultimately overcomes it by making the right choices. That’s what defines her. Ironically, the way they dealt with Krem is a very Silver Age solution despite how different Kara was from her Silver Age persona.

Great art. Wonderful story. A solid choice for movie source material.

1 Like

I’ve always felt that Kara was a more psychologically interesting character than Superman because she actually had a life and memories of Krypton.

Tell me, how do you feel regarding the fate of Krem? I know Kara didn’t kill her but she did let it happen. Not sure how to feel about that

1 Like

I don’t think Krem died. I understand why you (and others) would think that because the art there is a bit ambiguous. However, Krem’s arm is up rubbing his wounded face in the penultimate panel. His body language in that page communicates that he was surprised at being hit. My reading of that moment was that Ruthye gave him a good, violent smack, but he survived. In the final panel, he lays prone on the ground because he realizes that Ruthye does not forgive him despite the fact he’s changed and because her forgiveness is all he wants at this point. That was my reading of it anyway.

I will have to look back at the art for those few panels. But that does make more sense. It is in keeping with Ruthye’s character and it actually speaks a bit about Kara’s character. She wants others to overcome their crueler instincts and be stronger but knows that the pain and trauma can never truly go away and accepts that as well

1 Like

Still need to read it buuuuuuuuut given it’s from Tom King I guess I am supposed to hate it…?

1 Like

Yep

I don’t really understand the Tom King heat. I’ve really enjoyed most of what I’ve read that he’s done. My limited understanding of the Tom King criticism is that it comes from his Batman run. I’ve only read some of it, and, though it’s not amazing, I’ve read worse out of the Bat books. Batman fans are very particular about what they want to see from the character and his stories, though. If you don’t hit the exact right notes, they don’t forgive you for it.

2 Likes