Thoughts on Shazam! Movie?

@JByrd, I totally agree. For all the crap that gets thrown at Snyder and MoS, it clearly resonated with alot of people and invoked alot of passion, something few movies ever accomplish.
I haven’t seen Shazam, but regardless of what it cost to make, public interest is apparently minimal, half that of MoS at this point. It really does feel like WB threw in the proverbial towel with “solo, unconnected” movies. Captain Marvel, a character less known than og Capt M, cleared a billion. I believe this is because its episode 21 of a series with forward momentum.
Not only is Shazam an unknown but the trailers tease a generic and predictable movie, just like the trailers for JL did. If people are voting with their wallets thats a big vote against this narrative that making everything “lighthearted, weightless, optimistic, and about hope” isnt something that engages most theatre goers.

2 Likes

Also, I personally think alot of Aquamans success lies in the fact we havent seen alot of films explore a fictional ocean world since CGI became the norm. The trailers show an exotic action adventure.

3 Likes

That’s exactly correct with Aquaman, :+1: it was something new and different from the other superhero films.

I wish WB would demonstrate they have a backbone and not bow to a minimal crowd of viewers who bashed reviews. The REAL fans, those who bought the all of the DC merchandise, the DC movies, etc… they were silenced and WB turned a listening ear to bloggers and others who made assumptions before giving WB/DC a chance. I guess that’s the way the world works now. Companies fear negative input. You know, nowadays, it seems a company can fall from a dissatisfied customers finger presses on his or her phone. It’s ridiculous. WB… tighten up and grow some. DC: you’re the best.

1 Like

Let’s not kid ourselves about Aquaman. It did a lot of business just because Mamoa is eye candy. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s hardly evidence of a promising new era. BvS is still my #1 post 2012DCEU movie.

1 Like

3000… you have good taste!

BvS is the best!

1 Like

… and also, BvS is a movie (like Man of Steel) that will always be absolutely re-watchable!

2 Likes

One of the best superhero movies and tied with WW as best DCEU movie. The future looks bright.

4 Likes

I hope WB realizes their missed opportunities and keep their work consistent with these quality films.

1 Like

I just saw it with my 7, 6 and 3 yr olds. It was a ball!! The kids loved it. I thought the cast was great and had villians with real threats. That boardroom scene was just the thing to raise the stakes. The only thing that maybe hurt the box office was that you had no idea about the Shazam family. I wiuld give it a solid 9 or 9.5. Very fun and a welcome direction for DC films.

4 Likes

Did you really take a 3 year old to the movies to see Shazam?

I mean that’s cool. I wouldn’t take my baby girl. I wouldn’t know how you could enjoy a movie with your hands full, especially with a three year old, that’s all.

I liked it. Thought it was a good overall effort and stuck to the core of the character, in which it’s a teenaged boy who gains magical superpowers and immediately thinks about how cool this really is. While the plot did seem to be a bit rushed in spots, I thought they had a good character arc for Billy Batson and how he learned to accept his new family.

The film wasn’t overly dark, but did have dark undertones, and the Seven Deadly Sins were downright creepy.

Zachary Levy was the perfect casting, too.

1 Like

A few flaws here and there - the horror film aspects collide with the overall family friendly goofiness, and I wasn’t too excited by the new version of Sivana - but by and large it is a lot of fun with a surprising amount of heart, a great cast, a great score, and solid pacing. I love all the meta jokes, especially Sivana’s villain speech. And the closing animation was adorable.

2 Likes

Shazam! was a fun, lively film about family and friendship. It could not have come along at a better time.

2 Likes

Fun, fun, and more fun… :grinning::grinning::grinning: :lying_face:

3 Likes

It was a good movie , B score.

2 Likes

I saw Shazam on advanced screening then two times opening weekend. Since Shazam is my favorite character I loved it and that he even got a movie tho I thought they could do better in some regards such as only having the shazamily in the last 15 minutes so they didn’t really flash out their alter egos although I loved freddy carrying them by their underpants was a nice touch they should have kept the movie and all the billy parts but make the movie longer to incorporate the shazamily.

Thought it was one of the better DC movies. Thought it captured the character well and the fun that was had, was fitting of Captain Marvel/SHazam. While it it was a lower budget movie than some of the others, i didn’t think it suffered greatly from it. The start of the light at the end of the Tunnel. Good 365 for DC this year in theatres. Aquaman, Shazam and Joker were all solid flix and solid hits financially.

Just have to quibble about “real” fandom as i think it’s often the feeling of Snyder purists, that real DC nerds wanted the snyderverse and WB ran afoul of us by “Marvel-ising” their output. I am a huge DC fan and i think it has more to do with how you want to see superheroes. Snyder seems to have hit on a very powerful theme of godlike, objectivistism that works for some people, but it’s not at all what i like out of superhero mythos. I’m very glad they are trying new things.

cute- less action than i’d want in a superhero movie

but also aquaman sucked so it was definitely better than that mess