Thoughts on Punchline?

I believe that any character can be interesting and well received by fans so long as they are written by a competent author who sees them as more than canon fodder. That said, I was a bit hesitant when I first heard about her.

1 Like

I’m interested to see more of her in the actual comics but am even more interested to see the effect her existence will have on Harley.

I can see Harley going full on hero.

I like er i think she is fresh of breath air and or origin story was amazing as well.

1 Like

I don’t want Harley to hold Punchline back and I don’t want Punchline to hold Harley back. I just like the original crime clowns a lot and I’m just going to try to appreciate this new character. I don’t think Punchline has what made Harley successful but I actually find that to be a good thing and I don’t think it means Punchline won’t find success. I think that realistically in the long run Punchline has most of a chance sticking around as Harley’s nemesis. Idk time will tell if she’s another Harley or just another Duela. Maybe one day we’ll get a book that’s Harley, Punchline, and Duela?

1 Like

I think aesthetically she looks awesome.

2 Likes

I’m just going to second everyone who’s saying something along the lines of:

“Harley Quinn is her own character. Punchline is her own character. The parallels are obvious but putting too fine a point on them only serves to hurt both in the long run.”

I think the motivation for making the character on DC’s end is obvious, (speculator money) but it’s unfair to pass a character off as “just a Harley Quinn clone” before they’ve been in more than a handful of comics.

1 Like

I think we will get to see her shine in the upcoming joker war. I think she is interesting because she isn’t in love with the joker she just wants to use him as a mentor or master to help develop her craft. I’d love for her to just turn on the joker and steal the spotlight for herself.

2 Likes

I’ve also heard a rumor that Punchline is getting her own series.

She seems cool.

Rebirth Harley Quinn is so much better

But the whole story line with the Designer is good.
Speaking of the Designer he is such a cool character and I hope he doesn’t disappear after this story line

To me it’s like when the new Pokémon came out and all the kids like them but I think they’re stupid. I’m 27, and the I’ll always love Harley. And how people are now comparing her to Harley? Cmon. I like original things and don’t like when things change. Plus why did they have to make punchskank hate Harley so much? I think they should go further with the Harley and poison ivy relationship so ivy can beat the f**k out of punchline if they wanted to go down this route.

THIS!
I hope she ignores him sexually which will drive him crazy with desire and allow her to manipulate him. THAT would be cool!

1 Like

When I first heard about Punchline, I quickly wrote her off as some kind of weird knock off Harley Quinn creepy Joker fangirl, and figured she wouldn’t be an interesting character at all. But when Punchline: The Trial of Alexis Kaye came out last September, I decided I’d check it out, just to give her character a fair chance since I really liked her aesthetic and the general artistic vibe of the character and the comics collected in Punchline: ToAK, and I did not regret it at all. I absolutely love Punchline, and I think she has so much story potential and brings something new and much more interesting than the Joker stories we’ve been getting. If you haven’t read Punchline: The Trial of Alexis Kaye, I would 100% recommend it. It has really good art, a really interesting story that combines elements of a typical villain origin story with modern aspects that fit really well, and a great blend of darker moments and lighter moments. Another thing I really liked about the book was that it told the story in a way that made sense, without over explaining, but still gave you all the information you needed to understand the series. It also set up Alexis up as a character in a way that partly acknowledged her similarities to Harley Quinn, but also set her up as a unique individual that wasn’t just a victim of Joker’s, but was definetly influenced by him. I think Punchline could fit really well into a Batman movie, or even better into her own series. The Trial of Alexis Kaye reminds me of the book Sadie by Courtney Summers, which is like a true crime kind of mystery novel told in parts through the main characters eyes, and partly by a podcast investigating the mystery. I think that Punchline’s story could work really well as a series on HBO Max or something, told like the ToAK comic, through her podcast, through Harper Row’s and Leslie Thomkins eyes, through the different veiw Cullen Row had, and through Punchline’s many online enemies and fans. I know it’s unrealistic to think this kind of show would be made, but I really think that it would be enjoyed by both fans and people not terribly inteterested in DC. That’s all, bye.

1 Like