Thoughts on new Hellboy trailer?

Finally got around to watching it, and I have to say…I’m worried. I really want this movie to be good, but these trailers just…don’t look amazing. The effects look kinda cheap, Hellboy’s makeup looks questionable at times, and Mila Jovavich’s presence has me concerned because I don’t think she’s ever been in a critically successful film and thus, at least for me, has become synonymous with bad movies.

I remember this movie was being advertised as a dark horror-style film when it was first announce, but both these trailers seemed to say differently, and show that this going to be more of a comedic film, and not the good kind; it’s humor is reminiscent of Suicide Squad or Venom.

These are just my thoughs, what are yours?

2 Likes

Milla Jovovich was in The Fifth Element, which got good word of mouth when it came out 22 years ago. We all know what a Hitchcock-level masterpiece Ultraviolet is (it’s a guilty pleasure of mine TBH) :wink:

I think the second Hellboy trailer is great. The first one looked rather stupid and more like a spoof than a real Hellboy trailer. The second one looks like The Real Deal to me.

1 Like

I will argue that the Fifth Element is the exception because she was propped up by actual talented performers. Beyond that film, she’ll always be the girl from the awful Resident Evil film franchise, and a list of other bad films where she contributes nothing of substance.

1 Like

The Fifth Element is a masterpiece and should be a highlight on the resumes of anyone involved in it (be it in front of or behind the cameras), especially Jovovich.

I’ve never seen a RE movie in full and I don’t want to. They’re the cinematic equivalent of sand on your skin when you’re in a sandstorm.

2 Likes

Looks ok. It sucks we’ll never get a third GDT film, but as it’s own thing, it might be good. I hope it’s not this year’s Pacific Rim: Uprising, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Uprising sucked that bad, huh?

1 Like

Uprising’s flaw was that it was “just okay”. After the first one was so amazing, being “just okay” is not enough.

1 Like

Milla has been in many “successful films” but they are mostly low budget, independent films. The problem is her most visable role is Alice in the Resident Evil series. Those movies are garbage, but she is the good part in all of them. (Ali Larter and Sienna Guillory are also good) Now, even though those are bad films imo, they must be profitable if they made 6 of them. That’s means they are successful. But beyond her roles as “hot action chick” she has proven she can act and that she is more than a pretty face.

Fifth Element is an amazing film and she is amazing in it. I take issue with the idea she us being “propped up” by the actors around her. She covers a wide range of emotions in that film without the power of words. Not as easy as she makes it look.also, Gary Oldman, sure, great actor. Ian Holm, yup I agree. Bruce Willis, Chris Tucker, and everyone else? Less so.

I think the new Hellboy looks good and the fact Milla is in it only makes me more excited.

I thought both trailers looked good so far