Thoughts on Jared let's joker?

I didn’t like Leto’s Joker but to be fair we didn’t get enough screen-time for anyone to give a legit judgement.

What I will say is that, hadn’t the footage got cut, his version would have probably been more popular than Ledger’s Joker.

In the end, I thought Ledger’s Joker was terrible so Leto’s Joker was a step up for me.

2 Likes

@Gibby: Lol sorry had to! :joy:

ever-read-something-so-stupid-tgivesyou-forest-whitaker-eye-si-peterking-2270579.png

2 Likes

I think he could have been great, but he just didn’t have enough material on screen to really do something great. I’m fine with the crime boss motivation and the tattoos (though I wouldn’t mind if the “damaged” one on his forehead is taken out by a stray bullet grazing it or something), because Joker is one of those characters who is infinitely adaptable, going from gangster to prankster to serial killer and everything in between. He adapts to fit the times or the environment he’s in, and in a crime-infested Gotham where super-criminals are practically super-stars, he fits perfectly.

2 Likes

@InMago

I’ll take it LOL

I unserstand but I will further elaborate so you know where I’m coming from…

Heath Ledger’s Joker was a 8 or 9 out of 10 in terms of performance, being his last big performance before death also gave the role even more recognition but as a character joker it was like a 3 or 4 out of 10. Nolan kind of has a bad habit of letting creativity override the integrity of a pre-established character. Streamlining to make it popular and bring in “non-comic fans”.

Jared Leto’s Joker on the other hand didn’t have much time on screen so there wasn’t any way to see how that version of The Joker develops, how close it was to the actual lore, or how many characteristics of Joker were transferred. It was no more of a gangster Joker than that of the one on The Dark Knight but since the major scene is with him sitting in a club with gangsters, that is going to be the mill-wheel.

So to judge one based on polularity over one in which didn’t get the priority to full attention and time isn’t exactly fair. (Not saying anyone here is comparing, just see this being shared all to often on the net ao wanted to share my thought on it).

If I was going to say that Heath Ledger’s Joker was the worst in history, I would be lying but there are some full legnth fan films out there, these fan films feature small-time actors who are just as talented as Heath Ledger and Jared Leto but havebeen given better scripts. The end result is their Jokers being better.

Joker Rising full fan film here:
https://youtu.be/aTeR5E0qTck

Anywho, just my two cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To paraphrase Jack Nickelson, I’m glad he’s gone

@Gibby: I’m just messing with you lmao! If that’s who you like then that’s all that matters! :100:

1 Like

I didn’t have a problem with it. I don’t love it though.

I thought it was great. They smashed the Jokers over the years into one. Idk why I keep having to say it, he’s not wearing a grill. Batman busted his teeth out after Jason’s death. It’s his teeth capped and rebuilt instead of getting dentures

1 Like

I’m kinda sick of the Joker overall.

1 Like

Favorite joker portrayed in a live action movie tbh

1 Like

Jared was good for what he was given. With that said… I think Jauqin Phoenix in the up coming Joker movie will blow all past Jokers out of the water. (Even though I am not sure if I am digging his face makeup)

2 Likes

Underwhelming, especially given how much emphasis the reports from the set put on his over-the-top method acting. I suppose it could have been, at least partially, the material, though.

1 Like

I thought he was good! Really liked his lines i got animated series vibes from it. Also note, Ayer’s version was going to be darker. I just dont get how people can judge 30 seconds of screentime of his joker (it felt that little) compared to the other theatrical versions which had way more screentime, and were in a BATMAN film. Also the grill thing, those are teeth caps hinting that Batman has beaten the crap outta him! Loved that little detail, only tattoo i have a problem with is, is the “damaged” tat but doesn’t bug me enough for me to cry about it. In conclusion i definitely wanna see more of him, but he’s going to be Morbius for Sony (i believe he’s going to crush that role) so we’ll see what happens next.

Off topic Damn Xnam came with the receipts lol.

4 Likes

@straightouttao they screwed Ayer when Deadpool came out and made him do a bunch of editing and reshoots to give it more jokes and to make it lighter. They didn’t think Suicide Squad would do well as a dark movie, it would have. The comics are light and funny, they’re dark and twisted.
Anyone else remember when Joker tried to make Harley go back to being his psycho sidekick and when she didn’t want to he threw her into a cell with all the other “Harleys” he had tried to recreate her with? It also gives you a vibe that he actually has twisted feelings for her since none of the others ever worked. I would have paid big money to see that on screen. DC needs to keep to their characters and not worry about what Marvel is doing on the other side of the coin.
Also, I’m still holding my fingers crossed for a Mad Love live action adaptation with Jared and Margot.

4 Likes

He’s not as good as Mark Hamill’s or Heath Ledger’s, but I like him.

1 Like

The guy just needed some good jokes, imo. I felt like he was a completely humorless Mr. J. Either way, Leto recently said he would have no problem coming back to the role if asked. I think the reports of Suicide Squad reboot have been greatly exaggerated. If Harley, Boomerang, and Waller arent being recast or redesigned than there isnt a good reason to recast Joker for DC Films set in the current universe.

Remember people, when they announced Gunn and him having a "great new take" they had already had a SS2 in pre-production.

I feel like he didn’t get a fair chance. He reportedly filmed so many more scenes, and we got the theatrical release instead of the original director’s cut, so, I’m wondering if people would have hated it less if they had gotten to see everything originally planned and filmed for the character. shrug

I personally didn’t mind him. The scene where dude kisses his ring was pretty intense, and I like how they worked in a little bit of Mad Love into the subplot. For a modern take on the Joker, going for that ‘2019 drug kingpin’ type of thing, I think they did alright with him. Loved his car, that’s for fucking sure. DROOL Oh! And I liked his “this looks neat” or whatever when he gets his hands on the bomb injector gun, that made me chuckle.

2 Likes

They really need to consider recasting Lex Luthor with a better actor. I cannot take Jesse E seriously at ALL.

1 Like

Much better

Definitely my least favorite version of The Joker. In my eyes, The Joker must have some kind of permanent grin. The fact that they did away with it definitely took away something for me. And as far as the performance…I don’t know…I just felt it was more “annoying” than anything else.
@InMagno, I remember when there were rumors that Bryan Cranston was rumored to be cast as Lex, and I was very excited. He would’ve been a great choice if the role was written differently. I still like Eisenberg though. I feel like if we ever got him in a sequel we’d see him transform into something closer to the comics’ Lex. At least the movies made it seem that way.