Thoughts on James Gunn writing Suicide Squad 2?

I’m excited for it! The GotG movies were my favorite MCU movies, and I was very sad to see him go. But I think this is a great marriage of material and director. Hopefully this is just the start and they give him some of the DCEU to oversee if it goes well. I actually really liked Suicide Squad and I think he could use that movie as a foundation to make something even better. I just hope he at least retains Harley, Deadshot and Waller.

I’m excited. The first Suicide Squad was a mess. The cast was good but the script and direction were weak. Gunn showed the right touch for a group of roguish misfits in a tight exciting movie.

He might be the one legitimate unfortunate victim of the #metoo movement. Assuming he isn’t a secret serial killer or perv, I’m glad DC hired him. Still, Suicide Squad does seem a bit derivative. Would have liked to have seen him end up with something of a new challenge. Isn’t GoTG basically Suicide Squad with fewer asshats?

Legitimately a really bad choice and it’s pretty clear why WB hired him. They weren’t looking at talent, imo. They were looking at the fact that he was a Marvel director just like what they did with Joss Whedon.

2 Likes

I’m on the fence. I think he will do a decent job, I just hope he doesn’t totally reboot and forget the first movie. He doesn’t have to keep all the same characters, but would love to see some of them. Suicide Squad does change characters from time to time. I would like to see them keep Rick Flag, Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Cap. Boomerang. I wouldn’t mind Harley Quinn but I think she is going to be separate from the rest. I think Gunn can do a good job just don’t totally reboot and don’t put stupid jokes just for the sake of having jokes

2 Likes

His humor in his films are not for me but he is a talented director and writer. He made me care about the GOTG, who I was never much of a fan in the comics.

He’s at least much better than Shane Black has been for a very long time. I worry he’s going to reboot Suicide Squad or make it as different from the first movie as possible though including cast changes.

The team changes but Viola Davis needs to return as Waller and Jared Leto needs to be given a 2nd chance

Honestly when I first heard he was fired from Disney/Marvel I had a feeling he would be looked at for suicide squad. DC did the right thing to sign him. Now if warner bros will just let him do his thing with Suicide Squad we could have a very different movie from the first. I did enjoy the first film but I felt it was lacking so much and a bit of a mess. Im excited to see what he does with the squad.

Horrible, hes a disgusting person that has made dozens of pedophilia and rape jokes when he was 40, not only that but he also dressed as one. That man should not have a job, much less in a superhero franchise

1 Like

Who knows. Writers and directors are like everyone else, it’s hit or miss. Just because he’s a good writer/director doesn’t mean he can’t churn out some stinkers. He made people care about a tree and a racoon so maybe he can make people care about some villains. But it is also a team effort and any shoddiness by one part will effect the others so they need more than just him. You really think anyone would remember how great the characterization of Rocket Racoon was if they CGI sucked balls?

1 Like

Good point

This thread is being monitored. Please be mindful of unsubstantiated or speculative accusations and defamation of character.

2 Likes

Good thing I’ve only talked about his work and possible work on this film

I don’t want him writing women. No no no. Especially not Harley.

1 Like

Why? He did great with Gamora and Nebula

It’s gonna be great this has me hooked on a feeling for Suicide Squad 2

1 Like

Guardians 1 and 2 were some of my favorite mcu movies. Looking forward to what he has in store for suicide squad :slight_smile:

In a word: YES

1 Like

Simple Si huh?

He made a bunch of nobodies from Marvel Comics into househould names. Imagine what he could do with Suicide Squad.

2 Likes

Would be nice if he made Rick Flag Jr into a badass and I’m sure he’ll bring Deadshot into a higher level

1 Like