Thoughts on Harley Quinn TV show

I may be in the minority but I didn’t personally think that the Harley quin show was nearly as good as the other shows that they have put out. I know that the characters are supposed to be cartoony but they didn’t really fit their characters.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was a bit much for me. But I can understand why some people like the mature comedy aspect of it.

3 Likes

I agree on that bit. There are moments that are great but most of the time I feel like they are just messing the characters up. For example I really didn’t like the way that bane was portrayed as a goof that didn’t have any friends.

3 Likes

Yes, you would be in the minority, but if it wasn’t your cup of tea, it’s all good. Sooner or later, everybody is on the opposite side of movies and TV shows. It can be an awkward place, but hey, it’s better to be honest than to say you like something just to fit in with some crowd.

Rotten Tomatoes (84%)

IMDB (8.4/10)

Metacritic

5 Likes

That’s more or less a parody of Bane from the Dark Knight. The LEGO Batman movie did the same thing.

2 Likes

Also, welcome back to the forum!

2 Likes

Fair enough, but I think that in the lego movie had a different type of appeal it was designed for kids in that regard. The Harley quinn show seems to be aimed at adults but uses very childish jokes and mannerisms but very adult language and gore. If you compare that to BTAS or Teen Titans or Young Justice which are all aimed at kids but have very adult themes while staying mostly true to all of the characters. I think I expected something along those lines where Harley was very reminiscent of the Harley from BTAS crazy but enjoyable, instead of whiney and dramatic. Either way thanks for the responses, I was just curious if anybody else shared a similar opinion.

P.s. I do enjoy the Poison Ivy character though she is very well designed.

2 Likes

Agreed about Ivy.
I was also expecting something that was along the lines of BTAS when I first heard of the show. It surprised me how all out the writers went.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong the characters make sense in the world they made, just not the type of world I wanted to see I guess lol. They did a great job with the characters for what they were trying to do.

2 Likes

I think it’s hilarious. The funniest adult animated show since Bob’s burgers

3 Likes

I love everything about the show, but if I have to say something negative about it is gonna be probably the contiunity inside the own show also I would love to see more characters from her recently solo comics.

I don’t mind the change to the characters because this more of an alternate reality.

2 Likes

I enjoy the comedy of the show. I like seeing Harley remove herself from Joker’s orbit to become her own person. I like the friendship between Harley and Poison Ivy. I like the oddball personalities that make up Harley’s crew. But when I watch the show it is important to tell myself it is all parody. The Batman and the Justice League on this show are played as being slower on the uptake and less coordinated as Harley, which is not the case. We see Scarecrow as Joker’s personal b!@&$ which is not the case. We also see several of Gotham’s rogues gallery in the Legion of Doom, which is not the case. Also, if it is meant to be a comedy, I think they go a little overboard on the violence. I mean if they were trying for something a little more serious then OK. But if you’re looking for laughs maybe having King SHark bite off a security guards head or Queen of Fables wiping out a family picnic is not the way to go. That is my personal opinion. The show is funny and I am looking forward to next season.

1 Like

Ya know, watching the pilot, I thought it tried way too hard to be edgy and just dropping F-bombs everywhere. The violence was a bit gratuitous too with barehanded blows resulting in bone breaks. It really felt like they were trying to make the statement, “This isn’t your Dad’s cartoon!”

I feel like that toned down throughout the show though. I do enjoy some interpretations of characters and even appreciate them becoming caricatures when it made sense.

For example, we all know Clay Face used to be an actor so they accentuate that one aspect of him and make him go full method to funny results IMO. Other characters, I felt they had no idea what to do with such as King Shark being a soft spoken tech geek. I do understand the classic gag of Big Person/Gentle Soul but eh.

The show felt more like a caper of the week to me but there is some kind of through line. Harley does tend to progress and regress a lot though especially with her seeking approval from LOD, figuring out she doesn’t need it, then back again, etc.

All in all, it’s a nice show that I can sort of half watch while doing other things and not miss anything too deep or complicated.

2 Likes

I can appreciate it for what it is. Loads of people hate Teen Titans Go! and its take on those characters. This is very similar just on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as maturity. I am not a fan of the “adult” stuff that DCUniverse has been putting out, but I support it in hopes that we get more new content. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I hate any of the shows, I just prefer that they be toned down a bit. However, I totally get that some people enjoy them the way they are and that is okay as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that’s the best thing about these characters is how versatile they are to interpretation. I loved the show and thought it 'did its thing’s better than other DCU shows ‘did their thing’s’ with Doom Patrol being a close second place. As far as an adult comedy that takes the piss out of the DCU, it really nails it.

5 Likes

I think its great.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the show although it could’ve been better if Harley had the New York accent but Cuoco did a decent job with the voice over even though she’ll never be like Tara Strong. Most from what I’ve read didn’t like the language in the show but honestly I was LMAO, I was thinking “finally, a DC cartoon show that isn’t kid friendly and broaden the horizons of sarcasm and jokes.” 8/10 is what I would give it. The only real drawback for me was Clayface acting too much of a Thespian and not like the Clayface I loved in Batman:TAS. King Shark’s voice was freaking awesome. Overall, not highly up there with other shows but was incredibly enjoyable and made me laugh in every episode.

3 Likes

No ones ever gonna be like Tara Strong.

1 Like

Arleen and Tara…ultimate!

1 Like

For me, DC characters are rough templates of mannerisms and general historical “touchstones” for the characters. As @Zombedy pointed out clearly, their strength is in their versatility to be interpreted by each writer. Let’s be honest, if all of the DC characters were set in stone there is no way some of them would have lasted over 80 years. That’s why the first thing I look for in a DC story is a new interpretation of a character. I want to see what the writers and artists/animators/actors have to say about these characters and what they mean to them. If I haven’t learned something new about a character by the end of a story, the story hasn’t really fulfilled it’s purpose.
With that in mind, I really enjoyed Harley Quinn. I didn’t feel like any of the jokes were forced; they all seemed to be natural results of the characters’ own senses of humor. If there’s anything I would critique it’s that the pacing for the last couple of episodes was off. Some of the emotional beats just didn’t land for me when they really mattered most. I cared about all the characters, but the execution of the final episodes just didn’t work for me for some reason. As a whole I was satisfied with the series though and can’t wait for a Season 2 if that’s in the works.

2 Likes