Thoughts on DC Ink?

What are you guys thoughts on DC Ink? I thought Mera: Tidebreaker and Under the Moon were looking like it were going to be really good but have heard some very mixed reviews about them. Are you looking forward to the next entry starring Raven? Are they planning to add more titles to the line in the future?

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the Mera and Catwoman books. Under The Moon had a moment that felt like a gut punch to me, and was quite effective in emphasizing why Selina ends up as she does.

I’m looking forward to the Raven book.

As for Zoom, Super Sons was okay. It got better as I progressed in it, but I’m glad I didn’t buy it as it likely would’ve been a One Read Only book.

SN: if you want to try these books out before you buy them, all of the Ink and Zoom titles are available through Hoopla.

5 Likes

I really liked both Mera and Catwoman. Amazing art and fully realized stories. I’m sure Raven will be just as good. I like the style these are going for.

5 Likes

And here I thought “ink” equates to “tattoos”. Never mind.

4 Likes

Looks like they are going to be adding a few new titles: Beast Boy, Oracle, Batgirl, and Nightwing. Thoughts?

3 Likes

What is ink?

3 Likes

@Bullcan DC Ink is an imprint of graphic novels (with fantastic art) that is focused towards a younger demographic, though also able to be enjoyed by adults.

1 Like

Disclaimer: What you are about to read is my excessively long winded opinion. Views expressed in this review are my own, and do not represent that of any other human being, fish, reptile, or bird.

I’ve only read Mera, and the art was gorgeous. The story, however, was very generic. It was clear to me that this was to be a work directed toward pre teens-young teens, however when I was that age I was already tired of the tropes that were present in Mera. It was highly predictable as well.

However, the cons didn’t keep me from enjoying it, because that’s how well it was done. The panels flowed flawlessly, the color tone set the mood in an appropriate way, the structure was really quite good. I also adored the fact that this could easily be someone’s first comic. It doesn’t require ANY prior comics knowledge, which makes it absolutely perfect for a child/teen who has never read one before. And with the panels being so easy to follow, it’s that much more perfect for a beginner. I just wish that the characters hadn’t been so generic and that it didn’t rely on tropes so heavily. If those two things had been corrected, it would have been near perfect.

I’d say that if you go into this knowing it was made for a younger audience, it’s very much enjoyable. The art just about made my heart stop, and it really was put together quite well.

4 Likes

The Ink titles look great but I can tell they’re not for me, which is good. Not everything should be for me. The DC characters are so malleable that DC should have different lines to appeal to different reader demographics.

4 Likes

@abfgmsw - So both imprints are for kids?

Sorry, had to be a cynical old man.

3 Likes

Picked up Mera: Tidebreaker and really disliked the writing and tote plot. The art was gorgeous, though. Haven’t read Under the Moon because of M:T. Holding out hope for Raven. Fingers crossed!:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Love it. Ink & Zoom are great ways to bring in new readers and give us some fun one-shot &/or self contained stories!

Great for fans young & old alike IMHO!:grin::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m excited to see what’s planned for the new books (Oracle and Nightwing!). I was disappointed with Mera, but Catwoman was much better than I expected. I liked the art in each of them, but I thought the Catwoman one flowed better from both a story perspective and use of creative layouts. Mera seemed to skip around more, and at one point I think it even referenced a character’s comment that’s made later in the book, like the panels had been rearranged or something.

2 Likes

I flipped through Mera and Catwoman at the bookstore. Seemed very teen (and casual audiance) targeted and wasn’t fond of the muted colors for the art. I know Super Sons made some heavy changes for their take. Not that that’s bad either, elseworlds should be embracing change and what not.