Thoughts on Birds of Prey

Huntress is so cool!!! I need more of Huntress and her crossbow :laughing:

Black Canaryā€™s cry was phenomenal

Montoya was a delight

I liked Cass, but as others have said, she couldā€™ve been any character

Harley was great, but I want a BOP movie without Harley. I like her, but she dominated the film and I really wanted more time with the Birds! Maybe a sequel will focus more on them and bring in Oracle.

Overall, it was a fun film with great fight scenes.

Black Maskā€™s explosive ending was satisfying to me because it was nice to get closure on a villain.

7 Likes

People said it was too much for Robbie to carry. Robbie picked it up & smashed it against the wall!!!

5 Likes

Just saw it and loved it. I was worried at first as there was no Batgirl, which I understand considering she should have had her own movie by now and it probably wouldnā€™t have even been an issue. Maybe they should have left off the ā€œbirds of preyā€ part of the title and left the Harley parts. That way, itā€™d be clear that Harley was more of the focus.

Still enjoyed the film. The fight scenes were awesome, and the awkwardness from Huntress was too funny. I think everyone did a great job. The only blight on this movie for me is Cassandra. It just seemed like such a random thing.

Like it really could have been, and should have been, anyone. Stephanie, Harper, or anyone would have made more sense than Cassandra. They should have either called her someone else or actually had her behave like Cassandra. Itā€™s the one downside I have about this film, and I doubt Iā€™ll ever get over that.

Otherwise, great film. Definitely going to add it to my collection once itā€™s out on Bluray.

6 Likes

Loved it. So much fun.

Truth be told I never hated Suicide Squad like a lot of people did, but this was so much better and utilized Harley better.

3 Likes

The choreography for the fight scenes in this movie were amazing in my opinion.

Not too happy where they made a character and then slapped Cassā€™s name on it (probably to make people excited). Stephanie definitely would have been a better name drop for that character.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the movie and would go back to see it again.

Also, I LOVED the cover for Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

5 Likes

My friend & I were discussing that on our way to the theater last night. I donā€™t see whatā€™s not to like, let alone hate, about Suicide Squad. I loved it at the theater & every time Iā€™ve watched it since then. I get that maybe, if u read the comics throughout the years, it wasnā€™t your cup of tea. I read em & itā€™s still a great movie. I guess Iā€™ll never understand the hate it gets?

4 Likes

I think at worst itā€™s fun. Itā€™s not the best movie ever but it was kind of a welcome change for me with how grim Man Of Steel and BvS were. Plus Margot and Will were both genuinely good and I loved the Flash and Batman cameos.

2 Likes

I love that for a good portion of the movie she was wearing a shirt that says ā€œI shaved my balls for this.ā€

Eh, I mean, Iā€™d be okay with Oracle, butā€¦man, wouldnā€™t it be great to have a Batgirl on the big screen that isnā€™t this, just once?

I feel like Birds of Prey was what Suicide Squad wanted to be, but had the added benefit of having time to actually develop the script, and a studio that wasnā€™t constantly fiddling with the editing process.

6 Likes

Oh man. The choreography, wardrobe, soundtrack & action scenes were incredible. I went into this movie excitedly waiting to see Huntress, Canary, Cassie etc. I was excited for Robbies return as Quinn, but I wanted to see Huntress 1st & Cassie & Canary 2nd. Margot simply dominated this movie. Some of my favorite characters didnā€™t get the treatment I looked forward to, since the day it was announced. I couldnā€™t even be mad b/c Robbie was unreal. Ewan McGregor was a great black mask imho. His anger was so fierce it made me laugh in a good way.

4 Likes

I would rename the movie Harley Quinn Meets the Birds of Prey. I think thatā€™s an accurate representation of the content (and a play on 1940s-1950s crossover movie titles).

9 Likes

I agree with that. From that standpoint tho, Margot absolutely killed it again as HQ.

4 Likes

The editing is a bit dodgy, but otherwise, itā€™s a fun throwback to 1980s ensemble action movies/shows.

4 Likes

That T-Shirt was amazing. What an entrance to make. I had my Batgirl button on my hat, just in case.

1 Like

In defense of Ms. Silverstone, I will say that her character arc was more interesting before her tie to Alfred was, uh, simplified(?) in post-production. As scripted and filmed, Barbara Wilson was the daughter of Alfredā€™s old flame, and the ā€œuncleā€ title was a term of affection for a family friend, not literal. Thus, when she says, ā€œIā€™m family,ā€ sheā€™s talking about something other than consanguity, and her inclusion fit far better into the ā€œfamily you makeā€ theme of the rest of the movie. Thereā€™s some awkward ADR in the final cut to erase the idea.

The scene as filmed:

The scene as mangled in post-production:

3 Likes

This whole post so much. Couldnā€™t agree more. Butgotta be honest, Silverstone is hot and I had no problem with that Batgirl.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, she was okay for the role that she had, and from what I understand she dealt with some pretty messed up stuff during production.

The point I was making was that I would like at least one proper movie of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl before Joker starts putting on his Hawaiian shirt.

4 Likes

funny you mention that

There was an early leak for this film like two years ago, when Robbie was getting together with executives; journalists were saying that this movie was gonna be Gotham City Sirens.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll get a Birds of Prey 2 without Harley Quinn. Weā€™ll most likely actually get a Gotham City Sirens movie, but weā€™ll see what happens with The Batman. Imagine Harley Quinn being older than Batman, hahahaha

2 Likes

See thatā€™s odd, I didnā€™t know that, while I thought the choreography was good a lot of it didnā€™t make sense. John Wick is Ulta realistic, where is in Birds of Prey people didnā€™t take enough hits. Montoya gets a cellphone to the face and Harley gets away? Yes right. Same with that giant explosive that almost killed Bruce, that dude outside didnā€™t attack Harley again-when she comes outside?

By no means was it a 10, but I loved this movie. Literally all they had to do was make the thief be played by a little blonde girl and name her Steph, and have Black Canary be the daughter of a vigilantee instead of a cop. For all the feminism, none of the women get to exist on their own and have interesting origin stories

2 Likes

I took it that she was a vigilante. Didnā€™t Montoya call her mom ā€œBlack Canary?ā€

Yeah, I think Montoya said that her mom helped the police with her power, so I think she was a vigilante.

2 Likes