Thoughts on Birds of Prey

Wowzers. Loved it, but the treatment of Cassandra Cain and Black Canary.

6 Likes

I liked the take on Black Canary ā€“ she felt like the same character but starting out in different circumstances. She has the martial arts skills, the power, and perhaps most importantly her severe mother issues.

Cassā€¦yeah, thatā€™s unfortunate. Sheā€™s an okay character in her own terms, but she is undoubtedly the weakest character in the movie and literally the exact opposite of everything that Cassandra Cain is in the comics.

12 Likes

Definitely agree about Dinah. There was enough different about her to make this take feel unique while still staying true to the core of her character.

As for Cass, Iā€™m definitely wondering why they wanted to use her in this kind of role when, yeah, thereā€™s almost nothing about her in the movie that resembles her in the comics. Sheā€™s barely appeared in other media forms, so itā€™s not like they wanted the name recognition since most people in the mainstream wouldnā€™t have heard of her. Sin comes to mind as a better fit for the role, or an original character couldā€™ve worked too.

4 Likes

I almost feel like even Stephanie would have worked better ā€“ like maybe Cluemaster is a grade-D thug in employ of Black Mask with his own illusions of grandeur and Stephanie gets involved in a similar way as a sort of ā€œF-Uā€ to Dad.

6 Likes

I really liked this version of Dinah. That alley fight was incredible!

6 Likes

Why was there almost no huntress? And zasz? I just assumed there would have been more scenes of them because they were pictured on main character lineup.

I think the movie was ok. Its something I would rewatch only when it comes to Netflix or something. It was a step above suicide squad. The main birds of prey did feel very thrown in there.
Why did Harley go nonlethal at the start with the cops? It made a colorful fighting scene but would breaking up with the joker change her into non lethal person so quick? I think she only killed one person the whole movie.
I surprisingly did like the black canary more than I thought I would. :hatched_chick:

Wish we saw more of their costumes. I blinked and I missed most of that end scene.

5 Likes

I think it was amazing and I loved how it stepped up from Suicide Squad! Harley has grown and is very much Jimmy and Amandaā€™s new 52 which I love! Black Canary was awesome and so was Huntress and Montoya! My friend has never read a comic and she went with me, sheā€™s excited for a BOP stand alone now. She wants to see those characters more. This is exactly what Margot Robbie was aiming for. Hopefully we can get a BOP stand alone where Oracle comes to join them. I am so stoked for a Sirens movie now! The Ace Chemicals scene had me dancing in my chair, what a loud statement! Was a little bummed only one hyena and his name was Bruce. This finally made Harley a stand alone in her own right that she has deserved for years now. While Iā€™m still waiting for my Harley and Joker mad love movie this was hands down amazing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I am surprised to say that i prefer the DCU animated series! Sadly my girlfriend really disliked the film, to the point where it negatively impacted my viewing. Iā€™m going to try and see it again either by myself or with a friend and see if i feel differently.

One thing I will say is that it is very different and I appreciate the effort it takes to do something new.

1 Like

I mean, all the action was pretty freaking good. When you get the guys from the John Wick series involved, thatā€™s pretty much inevitable.

4 Likes

The film was okay, but not really great. Black Mask barely wore his mask at all. It kind of reminds me of the Stallone Judge Dredd movie. It really felt like they only cared about the fact that Cassandra was Asian. Once that box was checked off, nothing else mattered. Harley going to Catholic School was kind of weird, too. Iā€™ve been fairly sure that she was Jewish.

7 Likes

@J3D28F.17202 This pretty much mirrors my feelings perfectly.

3 Likes

I just saw it last night & holy **** holy,:+1::+1::+1::+1: holy, :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:[.

2 Likes

Cain treatment was bad. Huntress ok, Canary was good. My god Robbie completely dominated that film from start to finish. The soundtrack, clothes, & the level of acting displayed by Margot was a complete visual feast.

4 Likes

Did not hate it, did not love it. I think there is a big gap between what this movie could / should have been and what we got. Margot was great, McGregor was very good. Some of the action scenes were amazing (but they canā€™t carry a movie) and some were ā€˜mehā€™. A lot of stuff around the action scenes was ā€˜mehā€™ or worse. There were a lot of 'just turn your brain off and donā€™t think about it" moments. The plot and writing were not great. I am not upset I went to see it, it was a fun ride. Ultimately I would rate it as ā€˜disappointingā€™.

3 Likes

Yeah the turn your brain off and donā€™t think about it. I didnā€™t like this movie guys :frowning: they trashed black mask and Victor Zzazz in my opinion. You guys already mentioned Cassandra Cain. Those three where the worst. I hated the madonna coverā€¦ it sounds so bad. But i did like Harleys coriography, so there was that. And i liked montoya and black canary and how they worked together. Really all I wanted was a crazy good time like I had in the 90ā€™s with tank girl and this movie did not deliver.

2 Likes

I thought the movie overall was good.

I think the movie struggled when it left Margot to pull the movie by herself. Talking to herself with some 4th wall breaking didnā€™t really work for me.

I really enjoyed:

The death of Black Mask. It was one of the most beautiful cinematic deaths in all its simplicity. Assymetric explosion of a villain, I mean how often do you see that?

2 Likes

I enjoyed the movie. If I felt strongly one way or the other about Cassandra Cain, I might be more upset on that front. (It really could have been anyone in that role, though. How about Stephanie? No one likes her, right?) The movie did a great job with Black Mask and captured the post-Crisis Huntress origin quite well (while acknowledging that sheā€™s always running the risk of being tediously self-serious). Montoya has real potential that a sequel could explore. Canary was fine. Iā€™m glad that Harley is finally over Mistah J and can start forming the Sirens.

1 Like

I like her! Though I think she would be a closer candidate to what the character in the movie is than Cassandra.

And yeah, reading the old Black Mask origin for, well, Renegade Robins now did help appreciate more of what Ewan did with the character.

3 Likes

Fine, then. Harper. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, closer to the mark, and I like her too!

1 Like