Thoughts on Batman: Arkham City?!

I remember I was 6-years old when this game out and it automatically became my favorite video game of all-time. For me, Batman: Arkham City is the most authentic DC game ever made due to Rocksteady’s interpretation of Batman and his lore. It was perfectly based on 2 of his best adaptations, the comics and the DCAU. And ofc, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil coming back was incredible.

However, the main reason why I like AC is because of its marketing and the story. I remember when the very first teaser came out the same year Arkham Asylum was released and it got me hyped for 2 years. The story of the game was really good too. The whole thing with Hugo Strange and his TYGER organization, Joker being sick “or not”, and Batman slowly dying during the course of these events just made the game so much more interesting. The Dark Knight was desperately searching for a cure to live, while also trying to save Gotham City from a madman.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite games of all time. It is definitely my favorite Batman game. I love the Mr. Freeze boss battle and the Ra’s Al Ghul battle. The story, as you said, is amazing. They did Hugo Strange so good as well as the Joker.

1 Like

I frequently use these wallpapers for my phone.

I know that two of them are from a different but they are still apart of the story still

1 Like

That is so awesome!!! Especially the 1st and last ones!

1 Like

Yea, exactly!!! I honestly thought that the Mr. Freeze boss was the most difficult, yet enjoyable part of the game. Especially, when you play that fight on new game plus on hard mode.

1 Like

Yea very true. They did so great on that game

1 Like

I just finished playing the main storyline in New Game Plus, and I think I can say with confidence that this is easily my least-favorite of the Rocksteady Batman games. (Yeah, this post will be very negative.)

Arkham Asylum feels the most dated, of course, but its rather intimate setting and focused narrative are points in its favor. Arkham City feels all over the place by comparison, jumping from one villain’s storyline to another without making any of it feel cohesive. The asylum setting provided a far better justification for all of the encounters with notable Batman villains.

And as much as I dislike a 'roided-out Joker as a final boss in Asylum, at least I get to face the main antagonist at the end of the game. Hugo Strange never poses any direct threat to Batman, and since some of his trademark characteristics from the comics are absent, he could easily be replaced with any other second-tier member of the rogues gallery.

Then we get to Arkham Knight, which takes every decent idea from City and actually makes them work. The freeflow combat is vastly improved. The gliding is less awkward. And the map is both more expansive and less silly in its layout. (Come on: the Penguin’s Iceberg Lounge is built inside a museum?!)

But the biggest improvement is to the story. The whole premise of Arkham City is utter nonsense. It’s essentially Escape from New York, but without that film’s futuristic setting (which makes the preposterous central conceit a little more forgivable) or its high stakes (i.e. saving the President). Meanwhile, Knight is more akin to The Dark Knight Rises or the third season of Titans, and it feels more like a story that would naturally fit into the DC universe.

Oh, and Knight also offers the best gameplay variety with its discrete mission types. Again, this is where Asylum feels really dated, but City is also extremely repetitive, too often falling back on rooms full of people to punch (or, more likely, to counter). The fight with Mr. Freeze seems to be the only respite from the constant monotony of hitting the same two buttons over and over again.

1 Like

Wow, I do agree with u on some points. But I didn’t expect that, lol. But I respect your opinion.
I specifically agree with the fact that AK feels more like TDKR.

2 Likes

Same here. But to be fair Hugo Strange isn’t the strongest or most willing villain to go toe to toe with the Batman. He is to smart to do that. He knows that he would lose so he sends his TYGER guards after him. In my opinion the story is great and well balanced. Wayne is put in AC because he knows to much and is a threat to Hugo. Once Batman comes into play he wants answers on what Protocol 10 is. So he seeks Selina who is being held by Dent. Then the whole Joker thing comes into play and he gets poisoned so he has to look for Mr. Freeze who is being held by Penguin. Who was holding a League of Assassins member who would lead Batman to the ingredient of the cure. Then he has his fight with Freeze and then he has his fight with “Joker” and then takes the fight to Hugo and Joker in the end. So the story isn’t all over the place to me. It might be to you and I respect your opinion. But as you said there are a few bugs with the game. Like for me I didn’t like Catwoman’s story. It was just too boring and felt like filler. They could have done the Deadshot boss battle way better. But overall to me it was a great game.

1 Like

Yea, one nitpick I have about AC, even though it is my fav game ever made, the Catwoman episodes were so boring. For me, they were really annoying and she is just a weak character to play as. She’s 1 of my fav Batman characters, but her gameplay sucks! Especially Episode 4 on New Game Plus on Hard! Omg, it’s so difficult to play as her!

1 Like

I totally agree. Boring and was just filler

1 Like

Well, yes, but that’s why he has his iconic Monster Men in the comics. (Really, Strange should’ve been the one behind the TITAN chemicals in Arkham Asylum!) His role in Arkham City seems completely disconnected from his traditional storylines.

1 Like