Thought I’d Share Some of My Collection

Thanks!

2 Likes

This is amazing! You even have a Mojo Dojo helmet.

edit: my favorite is definitely the signed star girl JSA image.

2 Likes

I made the Mojo Jojo helmet myself… it’s part of my Mojo Jojo costume.

5 Likes

amazing! wow!

2 Likes

Holy cow. My collection was all over the place so I started to narrow it down and now it’s pretty much I enjoy collecting prop replicas so to see your collection is pretty amazing and the fact that you made some of them is Mind blowing. What skills make it easiest to make a replica of a prop? If someone wanted to learn what would be good first steps to take?

2 Likes

That’s kind of a big question and it really depends on the prop. My Constantine record was a combination of graphic design and sound editing. The Westworld maze was mostly graphic design, but also some painting and staining and aging.
My Farnsworth communicator was honestly just finding all the pieces and putting them together properly, but for the internals (not pictured) I had to design the interior look and work in functioning electronics while keeping the modern electronics hidden while showing all the vintage 1930s components.

I’m currently working on an Hourman hourglass from solid brass, so that’s actual machining on a lathe…

What I’m trying to say is that prop replication can run the gamut of skills… sculpting, molding, casting, painting, electronics… but which skills are needed varies from prop to prop. But learning to sculpt (or 3D model, of you have a 3D Printer) is going to be your very most useful skill. If you want repeatability (like if you want to sell copies), then you’ll want to learn to mold and cast. And painting is super important as well (though, admittedly, my biggest weak point).

What kinds stuff are you interested in making?

2 Likes

Funny enough you mentioned an hour man glass I was just thinking about that today. I thought it wouldn’t be something too hard to replicate but I could be totally wrong. Id also like to relocate the Bizarro #1 Plaque he wears around his neck

2 Likes

Wow…you have one of the coolest collections I’ve ever seen

1 Like

Really impressive. I was wondering, do you have any build videos from the hammer or the guns, or anything else?

2 Likes

For the hourglass, it depends on how you want to do it. Even without any experience in 3D modeling, you could learn the basics from some videos and model the pieces to it in an afternoon. Then 3D print them, find the right chain and the right hourglass and get it put together and have something pretty close after some sanding and painting. The ones used on the show aren’t real brass… they probably used this method, then molded and cast their masters and made several for the production. Of course, they also had to do a bunch of different versions to nail down what Geoff wanted, I’m sure.

I’m making it all out of solid brass, which is much more difficult. I also need to drill a hole into the end of the hourglass so I can replace the sand with the proper color… and I have to figure out how to cut it in half cleanly at the narrow middle part, because the prop has a little brass neck there. So I need to machine that, and need to insert both parts of the hourglass into it so that the sand still passes through. I’ve always been a huge fan of replicas that are made from real metal or whatever material the prop is supposed to represent, even though the actual prop isn’t that thing, y’know?

As for that Bizarro plaque? I’d just get some clay, roll it out flat, cut it to the general shape you want, and add the rock texture by pressing some actual rock into it… Something like Basalt or Diatomite have the kind of texture I think the real deal would have… (Here’s a list of different rock types with pictures that you could use to select one: Rock Types )

From there, carve in “Bizarro #1” build a mold box around it, make a mold, and then cast it from that mold and paint it. Really straightforward process, though I imagine you’d want to play with some painting techniques to get it to look properly like stone. I can’t help there. I often give up on painting and just take stuff to work and ask the lead scenic to help me out. Working in film and being able to pass if off to someone that paints stuff to look like other stuff for a living has handicapped my paint skills.

But, dude, the most important thing: Post whatever you make and tag me so I can see it!

1 Like

Rock n Roll! Quite the collection you got there, man! I do a lot of wasteland inspired props myself! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! Killer collection!

1 Like

Wow, amazing collection, the cast signed injustice society is awesome

1 Like

@c-m-woodworks.91222 Unfortunately, I’m really bad at documenting my projects, at least with video. I tend to take a bunch of photos with the intention of putting together a build diary and then never do that. That said, what I do have is on my too-rarely-updated YouTube channel… there’s a Two-Face coin tutorial, a preview of the Westworld maze build that I never did a complete video for, and a look at the Constantine record, as well as a bunch of reviews and stuff: YouTube

2 Likes

I just watched the coin video. Very cool. I like that it’s something doable for people without a really advanced skill level. Still is really nice when it’s done

1 Like

I’d really like to make one of these from the dolph lundgren punisher film. I can do mostly anything with woodworking, but the knife seems like a hard project for me.

I’d really like to get me hands on one of the actual props from the movie, but I’ve basically given up on that.

1 Like