This Is and Always Shall Be Captain Marvel

it is ridiculous to change your characters name after decades of it being one thing. Captain Marvel will always be captain marvel Shazam is the wizard who gave Billy Batson his powers!

7 Likes

DC didn’t change it by choice. The reasons behind it are rather unmarvelous.

4 Likes

Marvel afraid of the competition lol

3 Likes

If both companies had a hero named Captain Marvel, they’d have to worry about being the indistinguishable competition.

(That said, I agree.)

2 Likes

I fully agree Captain Marvel always!

Captain Marvel (DC) was the first to appear while later Captain Marvel (MC) made her appearance so there for I’ll always think of Captain Marvel when someone says Shazam.

1 Like

DC Should create a hero named “Marvelous Mike” or something like that just to ruffle up a few feathers.

1 Like

Or start emphasizing Superman as “The Metropolis Marve,” again. :rofl:

1 Like

I kind of agree, but at the same time due to the issues with Marvel they have been branding the Shazam! name for so long a lot of people, even some casual comic book fans, thought that was his name anyway. And having two Captain Marvel’s caused no end to confusion and it is clear especially now Marvel will never be letting that trademark lapse. So going with the name they had been branding him with for 30 years over one that confused a lot of people and they could never put on the cover of anything anyway, they probably made the right call. Still is weird him not being Captain Marvel anymore though.

2 Likes

He’s always going to be Captain Marvel, but that said I think fans of Chuck wouldn’t mind if they called him Captain Awesome

1 Like

it was my biggest disappointment in the movie. Absolutely gutless to avoid using it. Perhaps they will get a backbone in the sequel.

1 Like

I know that this may seem odd, but I believe in this thing called the Curse of Caption Marvel. I know that it sounds insane, but hear me out. Every since Marvel took the name from DC (even through it was done legally so I can’t fault them) the title has been cursed. For example, no matter whoever holds the mantle of Caption Marvel the character has never been widely popular as their counterparts. The books never really sold well even after the a movie came out. The characters that used the name had tragic fates. Mar-Vell and Phyla-Vell both died (Mar-Vell being the most important thing he did existence.) Monica was well liked, but was pushed from being the leader of the Avengers at one point to being unknown. Carol was stripped of everything that made her Carol Danvers, drawn like a man multiple times, written inconstantly due to multiple writers, and had multiple reboots and a ret-con origin all because marvel for whatever reason wanted her to be their company’s female figure. Therefore, I have concluded that even through Billy is the OG Captain Marvel he should never have that name again due to fear of him suffering. The best DC can do is give him a name that is cool because dude can’t even say his own name.

1 Like

It’s not about having a backbone in using. Shouldn’t risk getting sued and it just what is

1 Like

If anything Shazam sounds better than Captain Marvel.

1 Like

He can be called Captain Marvel. Its the title of the movie or comic that can’t be…

1 Like

I’m gonna play a little devil’s advocate here and say that not only is Shazam a better name, the rework that came with it makes him a better, more unique character.

Whilethe initial lawsuit that brought about this problem was erroneous (and the then National Comics trying to cut the legs of the completition that was beating them), I think that especially the changethat came from the New 52 where he’s not just a superhero, but the protege of the nexus of magic gives him a more unique power set and motivation when at his worst he could have been labeled “kid Superman.”

2 Likes

Actually I just posted the picture of the only real Captain Marvel on this week’s book club multiversity review

Shazam is the better name, as it was an acronym for his power set.

Calling him “Shazam” is about as logical as if Superman called himself “Krypton” or Batman called himself “money.”

It’s especially insulting because Marvel’s Captain Marvel usually holds the rank of Major. She should just be Major Marvel. There. If Marvel is the one to budge, there’s actually less confusion.

2 Likes