This is a more serious question; so if it triggers anyone Please don’t read. Question below

Ok I was wondering DC Fans is there any other character that has dealt with addiction, example drugs and alcohol? The only hero I can think of is Green Arrows Ward know as Speedy aka Roy Harper he also is know as Arsenal as well. Thank you for your comments and engaging with me and my mostly funny questions of the Day!

10 Likes

Well Hawk deals with drug addiction in Titans. Albeit in a roundabout fashion. I don’t know if he suffers with that in the comics though.

3 Likes

I think it is a fairly decent question, by the way.

4 Likes

@Behemoth thank you I really appreciate it

3 Likes

Check out the Legends of the Dark Knight storyline BATMAN: VENOM, where Batman himself becomes addicted to the super-drug. That addiction carries on through Bane’s appearances later.

10 Likes

@HubCityQuestion omg you’re right just remembered that . Also congratulations on hosting game night. Just saw it on my home page.

7 Likes

@jsmsiggy Thank you so much for using a trigger warning.

2 Likes

Funny how I can think of a lot of Marvel characters but less DC.

I think Thomas Wayne might have had a drinking problem in Flashpoint. And Constantine comes to mind, but I don’t know his character too well.

3 Likes

@CrazyQuilt you never know what people have been or are going through. Also, I have seen addiction first hand and as silly as it sounds just the words could be the tipping point to some not so safe choices.

3 Likes

@jsmsiggy I know firsthand. It’s people like you that make people feel better about their past!

3 Likes

Interesting topic, @jsmsiggy. I’ve found that the references to addiction have been seeded within a storyline more often than they are directly related to a character. Yesterday I came across an example in Deathstroke (The Terminator). What I appreciate about the comic approach is that it always highlights the human element and proves that we are never alone - there is hope, there is light, there is love.

4 Likes

Scarecrow is addicted to his own fear toxin supply. He exposed himself again and again to his own toxin and built up an immunity for fear itself.

5 Likes

I guess addiction just runs in the Arrowfamily because Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) has a history of alcoholism. Some good examples are in Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow (1988) #19-21.
-C

2 Likes

I know that the first Doctor in The Authority had a serious heroin addiction.
Hourman developed an addiction to miraclo pills.
Superman and Apollo could be considered sun addicts.

4 Likes

I was going to mention Hourman as well. I think they dealt with Rick’s addiction back in the old JSA comics, or possibly the Hourman comic starring the android version. I just can’t remember which one, if not both covered it.

2 Likes

In earth-2 (and related series) Thomas Wayne and Hourman are addicted to “miraculo”. Hourman doesn’t really get over it but I seem to remember Thomas getting over at the prompting and with the help of Helena.

Bane, in Tom King’s ongoing run on Batman. (He has addiction problems elsewhere too but I don’t know where off the top of my head).

It has been stated that multiple DC characters are addicted to thrills or similar things. (bad e.g. in Batman: Hush the movie). Not sure that counts.

Superboy in Young Justice Season one. (It’s complicated. You’ll know it if you see it).

Jim Gordon has a smoking addiction

I know of several characters that have had drinking problems but I am not sure where the line between “washing down my problems” and “addicted” is.

addictions to things other than substances (alchol, drugs, etc) like the aforementioned thrills are rampant in comics. Take anything from Riddler’s addiction to Sudoku and puzzels to Superman’s addiction to saving people.

I seem to remember episodes of Static Shock and Batman Beyond addressing addiction. I could be wrong.

I am addicted to comics. :wink:

Not many characters overcome their addictions in comics I notice. I think it’s for the same reason they only develop for the first few years and then after that only incredibly slowly. DC doesn’t want to lose a story-line or change a character too much so the characters reach a certain point and then stay there until DC is done with them. It’d be nice to see any development but especially nice to see such a character as Jim Gordon (for example) overcome an addiction they’ve struggled with for years,

3 Likes

wow. That was long. Sorry.

2 Likes

@TheBatgirlofNML don’t be sorry if you know it and have a vast understanding share it. I can understand a new comic reader being afraid of trying to understand close to 100 years of stories and trying to understand what’s cannon.

2 Likes