Think You Know The Flash TV Show (1990)? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about a TV show whose pilot episode features an accident in which Central City Police forensic scientist Barry Allen’s crime lab is struck by lightning. Allen’s electrified body is flung into and shatters a cabinet of chemicals, which are both electrified and forced to interact with each other and with his physiology when they come into physical contact with his body. He soon discovers with the help of S.T.A.R. Labs scientist Christina “Tina” McGee that the accident has changed his body’s metabolism and as a result, he has gained the ability to move at superhuman speed. To avenge the murder of his brother, motorcycle police officer Jay, Barry demands that Tina modify a red S.T.A.R. Labs prototype deep-sea diving suit, designed to withstand tremendous pressures, into his costume, to which she reluctantly complies. Thus, Barry Allen becomes The Flash.

Of course, we can only be talking about the one and only The Flash TV Show (1990)!

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section! Anyone whose Fun Facts are selected will receive a rare “Daily Planet Editor” badge!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

—We have RECRUITED our very own @HubCityQuestion, master of all trivia, to help sort out the facts and answer the questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He remains duty-bound to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, October 6th!

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current The Flash entry here:

5 Likes

The pilot episode of The Flash included Barry’s brother, Jay Allen, whose first name is a nod to the original Golden-Age Flash, Jay Garrick.

4 Likes

The lead actress on the show was Amanda Pays, who portrayed Dr. Tina McGee and was Barry Allen’s love interest. In comics, Tina McGee was a love interest (for a short time) of Wally West’s. Amanda eventually portrayed Tina McGee on the CW’s Flash series many years later. This version has no close personal relationship with Barry, but did give Barry’s dad, Henry Allen, a knowing glance when they met :slight_smile:. Henry, of course, was portrayed by John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen in the 1990s show.

(see “Revealing her Knowledge” in link below))

Amended links:
Amanda Pays IMDB - listed in cast for Flash 1990 as Tina McGee

Wikipedia links which mention both the comic origin of the character (Supporting cast for Wally West)
and that Amanda Pays portrayed her in both FLash 1990 and the CW’s Flash. (and mentions her meeting Henry Allen)

Tina meeting Henry Allen on youtube

3 Likes

Some fine ground work, @silveralex, but we’re looking for sources other than user-generated wikis. Got anything more official?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Added a few links to the Tina McGee item above

3 Likes

Mark Hamill plays the Trickster on the 90s Flash and reprises his roll on the CW Flash series as both the Trickster of Earth 1 and Earth 3, Earth-3 trickster in season 3 episode 9. There are a few references to the 90’s Flash in season 1 episode 17, Trickster.

The pictures in the newspaper about Jesse’s trial and conviction are screenshots from Mark Hamill’s appearance in “The Flash: Trial of the Trickster” episode of the 90s series.

The music for this episode includes Shirley Walker’s theme for the Trickster from The Flash (1990).

When Mayor Anthony Bellows (Vito D’Ambrosio) asks The Trickster (Mark Hamill) who he is, he replies “You forgot me already?” This is a reference to The Flash (1990), in which both actors played the same characters.

The trench coat Henry Allen (John Wesley Shipp) wears at the end of the episode, before Joe takes him back to Iron Heights Prison, is the same jacket he wore several times as Barry in The Flash (1990). According to John Wesley Shipp in a DC Daily interview, this came about because he mentioned that he still had the outfit and was told he has to wear it.

Vito D’Ambrosio To Reprise His Role as The Flash’s Tony Bellows From 1990 Series. In the 90s show he was a police officer; on the CW show he’s the Mayor of Central City. The IMDB link also sites this.

Alex Desert reprised his role as Julio Mendez in season 3 of the CW Flash.

Corinne Bohrer reprises her role as Zoey Clark, Prank, Tricker’s sidekick, in the CW Flash episode The Elongated Knight Rises.
The Flash Brings Back Corinne Bohrer From 1990 Series As Prank.

CW Flash season 6 episode 9 spoiler Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover

In season 5 episode 8 of the CW Flash the 90s Flash is revealed to live on Earth-90. In the Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover the Earth-90 Flash, played by John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen on the 90s show, steals the CW’s Flash speed. “I’m momentarily stealing your speed. You play this speedster game long enough, you learn some neat tricks.” He sacrifices himself to save the world instead of the CW Barry Allen. In his final moments the 90s Flash theme plays and a clip from the 90s show plays in wide screen. The 90s show was not wide screen. 13:36 in the crisis aftermath mentions having to change the aspect ratio The flash season 6 episode 9 | Earth 90 flash dies - YouTube 'This was a send off for the 90s Flash who never got a proper finale for the show. 15:29 of the same Aftermath show it’s mentioned the Shipp was grateful to be able to close that chapter.

Initially, CBS didn’t want Barry Allen to HAVE a costume, just a gray sweatsuit.
The Trickster was the only villain on the show who wore a costume.

If season 2 of the show were made, the Rouges, Captain Cold, the Mirror Master and the Trickster, would have teamed up to try and take down the Flash.
two sources for this fact, a link and book: The Flash: The Fastest Show On Television

Hofius, Jason; George Khoury (2010).
Age Of TV Heroes: The Live-Action Adventures Of Your Favorite Comic Book Characters* . TwoMorrows Publishing. ISBN 1-60549-010-5.

The series featured the first live action appearence of S.T.A.R. Labs.

When Christina McGee calls Barry for the first time, she tells him to come to “50, Garrick Ave”. Jay Garrick was the name of the first Flash, and the series premiered in the year of his fiftieth anniversary of publication.

The series is replete with references to the comic books and their creators. In addition to the “Garrick Ave.” reference mentioned in another item, episodes have referenced “The Hotel Infantino” (a nod to Silver Age Flash co-creator Carmine Infantino), “police captain Julius Schwartz” (a nod to Silver Age Flash co-creator Julius Schwartz), “the intersection of Gardner and Fox” (a nod to Golden Age Flash creator Gardner Fox), “Professor Zoom” (a recurring villain in the Silver Age Flash stories) and “Gorilla Grodd” (another recurring Silver Age Flash villain).

According to producers, had the series received a second season it would have featured appearances by classic Flash villains Vandal Savage and Weather Wizard.

In the DC Daily interview, John Wesley Shipp reveales it took a whole night of filming, “from dusk to dawn,” to figure out how to film the super speed shots. He had to run a certain way to not cause him to bounce up and down when sped up. In the end they told him to just try to run as smooth as possible.

He also mentions in the interview, when he saw Mark Hamill work with the Trickster suit, he knew if Hamill can do it then he needs get over his self consciousness of being in the superhero suit, not being comfortable in it and not wanting to talk in it.

“The [1990] Flash is the most expensive weekly series in television history [(possibly at the time)], budgeted at $1.6 million per episode[.]” You think they wouldn’t have budget problems with money like that, “but instead, [show creators] Paul and Danny frequently seemed concerned over every cost.”
From the beginning of the “How it works on TV” section of “The All-New Flash TV Special”

3 Likes

EXTREMELY thorough, Green_Loontern! I guarantee we’ll be using at least some of this.

3 Likes

I remembered a few things from watching the CW Flash but didn’t know if those were good enough and took a while to find a great fact about the 90s series itself I was happy with. It’s also hard to search and not get CW results. I also left out the fact about the suit getting hot and needing a cooling unit for it.

The DC Daily interview is definitely worth a watch.

Edit: I also left out the fact about the crazy pitch for a show that got turned down for being too big and the flash was made instead

3 Likes

The scene in CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths when Flash 90 was vanishing on the treadmill as scene from the Flash 90s show played. That scene was form the end of the pilot.

Source: The Flash (1990) S1 E1
The Flash (2014) S6 E9

2 Likes

I didn’t know this. Interesting. I’m currently watching the pilot as I type this. It’s fascinating that the scene both starts and ends his journey.

2 Likes

Yeah it was definitely a nice way to do it.

2 Likes

Sry i missed it

missed this? you have a week to post facts, until the new encyclopedia entry is chosen to work on next tuseday. You can still post facts about the show.

1 Like

Not a show specific fact, but I’ll be honest… When I heard John Wesley Shipp was being cast as Henry Allen, I actually saw this…
eb3e7dc91841f8489eedd29862086e6b
as a picture of Barry’s parents before his mother’'s murder.

1 Like

The Flash (1990) had some comic creator connections you may not be aware of.

The show’s creators Danny Bilson and Paul de Meo were the writing team behind the film The Rocketeer (1991) were working with Dave Stevens the creator of the Rocketeer. To convince CBS to go with a traditional superhero suit they had Dave Stevens sketch a Flash costume. CBS wanted a track suit and LED tennis shoes.

Famed writer and artist Howard Chaykin (Blackhawk miniseries here on DCU) penned ten of the Flash series episodes.

Other DC related connections

Danny Elfman, the composer of the Batman (1989) movie composed the theme for the Flash. Shirley Walker of BTAS fame did the music for all 22 episodes.

Like Batman , The Flash took a heightened and “timeless” approach to its production, blending fashion and technology from the 1940s and ‘50s with the modern day. And like its big screen cousin in Gotham City, the series boasted a memorable, heroic theme composed by Danny Elfman. But the rest of the show’s music was composed by Shirley Walker, who went on to do memorable work on Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series soon after.

“She used a 35-piece orchestra every episode,” Bilson says. “It wasn’t synthesizers or faked. We budgeted for it. I think she had 65 pieces in the pilot, and we managed to budget 35 pieces an episode to keep that orchestral score going. Shirley was amazing.”

2 Likes