Think You Know Stargirl? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about a character who has no natural abilities but derives her powers from the Cosmic Converter Belt and Cosmic Rod. She is the ultimate Valley Girl but now resides in Wally West’s hometown of Blue Valley, Nebraska. She fights villains alongside her trusty “sidekick”, S.T.R.I.P.E. and was originally known as the second Star-Spangled Kid but was renamed after being presented with the Cosmic Rod. Of course, we can only be talking about the one and only Stargirl!

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section! Anyone whose Fun Facts are selected will receive a rare “Daily Planet Editor” badge!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

—We have RECRUITED our very own @HubCityQuestion master of all trivia, to help sort out the facts and answer the questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He remains duty-bound to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, May 19th!

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current Justice Society entry here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/stargirl/

9 Likes

She didn’t like her new Stepfather Pat who she later found out he was a super hero.

Source: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #1

5 Likes

Stargirl has had braces.

Source: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #2

7 Likes

The character is inspired by Geoff Johns’ late sister.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/dcs-geoff-johns-shares-the-personal-story-behind-stargirl-series%3Famp=1

8 Likes

I don’t believe I saw this but it might make a good addition,

When Stargirl joined the Justice Society (Justice Society of America #1 (2008)) she befriended the granddaughter of Red Tornado after the death of Mister America. Stargirl even helped Cyclone create a new superhero costume and name (Justice Society of America #3 (2008))

I also recall she was romantically involved with Tim Drake, but despite looking up IMPULSE to double check I was unable to find confirmation.

3 Likes

Saginaw, Texas native Brec Bessinger will be the third actor to don the live action mantle of Stargirl in the highly anticipated series premiere here in the DC Universe on Monday, May 18 and Tuesday, May 19 on The CW. Previous thesps who’ve had the opportunity to wield the Cosmic Rod in front of the camera lens include Sarah Grey on Legends of Tomorrow (2016) and Britt Irvin on Smallville (2010).

(source: IMDB- Stargirl (TV Series 2020– ) - Trivia - IMDb)

6 Likes

Her step dad Pat Dugan gave Courtney a rebuilt 1958 Lincoln Convertible as an early birthday present

Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #14

4 Likes

The entire Justice Society of America went with Courtney to the dentist to get her braces off, but she was told they had to stay on for another year.

She was also given a photo of the younger members of the society as a gift by Jakeem Thunder that named her their teacher since she passed on everything she learned to them.

Justice Society of America #26

4 Likes

Shiv is a major villain for Stargirl, and Courtney Whitmore is also bad at keeping her secret identity a secret.
Source: Stars And S.T.R.I.P.E comic books.

3 Likes

The car can actually fly and is known as the Star-Rocket Racer! It’s been a part of Star-Spangled Kid’s legacy to have one. Star-Spangled Comics #1.

It will be making its appearance in the Stargirl television series.

4 Likes

Stargirl isn’t the first patriotic DC superhero.

Before her were Mr. & Ms. America (Action Comics), the first Star-Spangled Kid (Star-Spangled Comics), Liberty Belle (Boy Commandos), General Glory (JLI #46) and, of course, Starman (who debuted a few decades before the David Bowie song)

4 Likes

Stargirl had the liberty (ha) of appearing in a few DC comics video games over the years. I just checked and all but 1 were listed in the encyclopedia.

Stargirl was introduced as an Energy hero in the “DC Legends: Battle For Justice” Mobile game in July of 2019 (Along with S.T.R.I.P.E.)! The game is available for iOS/Android and is still ongoing. I’d post a source but… it’s not letting me post links. The game was published in 2016 and is still going strong 4 years later.

3 Likes

Jack Knight, Starman, served with her briefly in the JSA when she was still known as “Star Spangled Kid.” During the “Sins of Youth” event when adults were made into children and children made into adults, Jack got to see the future woman that Coutrney would become, and when he felt it was time for him to retire and move away from Opal City, he gave the cosmic rod to her, feeling that she’ll grow into a “magnificent” person and hero.

(Source: Starman #80.)

4 Likes

Courtney Whitmore appeared in Young Justice Outsiders (TV show) voiced by DC Daily’s Whitney Moore. This is not listed in her media appearances yet

4 Likes