Think You Know Justice Society of America? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about not one character, but an entire Society of them! This group of superheroes have been fighting the world’s villains since World War ll and are the world’s first team of DC Superheros. For a brief period in 1942, they were known as the Justice Battalion, as they became an extension of the armed forces of the United States of America during World War II. These heroes disbanded in 1951, due to the waning interest in comics that began in the 1940s. However, they were re-established as actually operating on Earth-Two, while Earth-One had a different League of superheroes. Of course, we can only be talking about the one and only Justice Society of America!

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section! Anyone whose Fun Facts are selected will receive a rare “Daily Planet Editor” badge!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

—We have RECRUITED our very own @HubCityQuestion master of all trivia, to help sort out the facts and answer the questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He remains duty-bound to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, May 12th!

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current Justice Society of America entry here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/justice-society-america/

6 Likes

JSA Vol 1 #16-#21 2000-2001: A reconstituted JSA faced a new injustice society headed up by Black Adam, who would later assist the JSA in bringing Hawkman back to life. Source: The DC Comics Encyclopedia 2018.

3 Likes

Justice League of America’s first meeting with the JLA was in JLA vol 1 #21-#22 1963. Starting a tradition of meetings between Earths 1 & 2. Source : The DC Comics Encyclopedia 2018.

3 Likes

After joining the war after a Pearl Harbor attack. The government asked them to reform as the Justice Battalion: Source: The DC Comics Encyclopedia 2018.

3 Likes

The first meeting of the JSA included. only, The Atom, Sandman, The Spectre, Flash (Garrick), Hawkman, Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson), Green Lantern (Alan Scott), and Hourman (Rex Tyler). Source: DC Comics Encyclopedia 2018. Names added from memory by me to diffuse confusion.

3 Likes

In All-Star Comics #37, The Wizard recruited a group of the most well-known supervillains to destroy the Justice Society of America. It was the first time a team of supervillains took on an entire group of superheroes.

5 Likes

Many heroes have made their first appearances in the JSA. Including one member of the DC trinity. Wonder Woman.

Source: All Star Comics 1940 #8.

5 Likes

The creation of the JSA is considered the first inter-company crossover, as the JSA was actually comprised of characters from two separate companies, National Periodicals and All-American. Although these two companies would eventually combine to form the modern DC Comics, they were originally independent of each other (although cross-promotion existed between them).

All-American

• Atom
  • Flash
  • Green Lantern
  • Hawkman
  • Wonder Woman

National Periodicals

• Doctor Fate
  • Hourman
  • Spectre
  • Sandman

Sources:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060818051923/http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/06/30/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-5/

7 Likes

As we look forward to the premiere of Stargirl in the coming weeks, there have been a couple iterations of the JSA for DCTV, or then The WB and now CW.

First, during Smallville, Season 9, episode 11, titled Absolute Justice, written by none other than Geoff Johns himself. This episode featured many members of the JSA: The Star Spangled Kid, Sandman, Hawkman, Dr. Fate, and Stargirl. The featured villain was Icicle (who had been sidelined to a vegetative state previously by the JSA) and his son Icicle Jr. Notable mentions from the JSA included: Ted Grant aka Wildcat, Jay Garrick The Flash, Alan Scott Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Al Pratt The Atom, and in a picture of this JSA The Spectre could be seen among the others (5th from the left).

Later, the JSA also burst onto the scene in season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow. First, at the end of the 2nd season’s premiere episode Out of Time and then more featured in its second episode titled Justice Society of America. Notable members featured in this episode included: Commander Steele, Vixen, Stargirl, Obsidian, Hour Man, and Dr. Mid-Nite.

Ah, silly me should have also looked at the encyclopedia entry first as what I mentioned is already there. :sweat_smile:
I guess my fun fact I learned is that Geoff Johns was the one who wrote the episode for Smallville. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

A great fact, but one that’s already in the article!

2 Likes

This, too, is already in the encyclopedia entry. But it’s good to know!

2 Likes

I should check 1st. One time I did tho & my fact got scooped from me & used. I got my 1st & only one by throwing down some Huntress facts w/o checking 1st. I’m set for life off of that tho. If I can get 1 fact added for 1/2 of my favorite characters. I’m sated. Thanks for checking em tho. I’ll look from now on as to not waste anyone’s time. :grin:

1 Like