Think You Know Hugo Strange? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about a character who is a man of many scientific disciplines, and a master of them all, one of Batman’s first recurring villains and is also one of the first Batman villains to discover the hero’s secret identity, he found his answer to a life-long pursuit of physical and mental perfection in the Batman. He will do whatever it takes to truly understand this specimen… even if it means becoming Batman himself! Of course we can only be talking about Hugo Strange!

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section! Anyone whose Fun Facts are selected will receive a rare “Daily Planet Editor” badge!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

——We have RECRUITED our very own @HubCityQuestion master of all trivia, to help sort out the facts and answer the questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He remains duty-bound to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, March 17th!

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current Hugo Strange entry here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/hugo-strange/

5 Likes

That face is deeply disturbing.

3 Likes

Bat-Bane was created using a mixture of Strange’s Monster Men serum and the Venom drug.

Source: Batman vol 1 #665 (2007)

1 Like

Dr. Hugo Strange was nearly forgotten. He was resurrected in Detective Comics #471 in 1977 after a hiatus of 37 years as he was last seen in Detective Comics #46 in 1940.

4 Likes

Strange has a son named Eli.

Source: Detective Comics #5 (2012)

3 Likes

In his final Earth-One appearance (released after the final issue of Crisis on Infinite Earths but still set in the pre-Crisis continuity), Hugo Strange temporarily cost Bruce Wayne his fortune, his company, and even his custody of Jason Todd by terorrizing Wayne Enterprise stockholders into selling. He even gives poor Alfred a stroke! Strange goes so far as to buy Wayne Manor, but his plot is soon foiled, and everything returns to normal…for a few months, at least. Unfortunately, no one believes him when he tries to claim that Bruce Wayne is Batman, since the Dark Knight is able to convince Jim Gordon that he hypnotized Strange into believing such nonsense. (That good-for-nothing playboy, a superhero? Sure. And I’m Darkwing Duck!)

Source: Batman Annual #10 by Doug Moench, woefully missing from this website

1 Like

Not bad, @AlexanderKnox. But for these I’m looking for more tender little “fun fact” nuggets than, say, full storyline summaries.

That’s more of an opinion than a fact, @Behemoth, but it’s one we share.

It’s worth noting that Eli claims to be Strange’s son in this run, but the claim may be dubious for a number of reasons. Strange himself has never verified his parentage.

In my summary, I pointed out an error in the current wording of the encyclopedia article. It claims, “Strange never attempts to give away Bruce’s secret again,” but he does that very thing in Batman Annual #10. He doesn’t attempt to sell it again, but he does try to expose Bruce’s secret to the police, which would still count as “giving it away.”

1 Like

I was just commenting.

1 Like

I have no credible sources!

I know there’s at least some room for interpretation, but the last pages of that issue really seem to indicate that Hugo himself is confirming that Eli is his son - that’s certainly the implication that I got.

While Hugo doesn’t make a physical appearance there are posters/ mentions/ etc. of him in the game Batman: Arkham Knight. There is also a office space for him (which is the solution to a riddle) in Arkham Asylum.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good fact, but it is in fact already noted in the article!

1 Like

Gonna go ahead and submit one of my own:

Hugo Strange is credited with the development of a mobile app which tracks Batman sightings, allowing Gotham criminals to reroute their activity accordingly. (Source: Batgirl #4, 2011)

According to writer Dwayne McDuffie, Hugo Strange was originally meant to be the villain who tortured The Question in the Justice League Unlimited episode “Question Authority.” However, because the character was being used in the animated series The Batman at the time, Justice League Unlimited was unable to use him.

Source: https://www.cbr.com/batman-justice-league-unlimited-written-out/

1 Like

Dang!

Doctor Hugo Strange is one of Batman’s oldest villains first appearing in Detective Comics issue #36 in 1940, I think he is Batman’s second oldest villain next to Joe Chill if you count him.

Close. He is Batman’s third-oldest recurring supervillain. The first is Doctor Death from 'Tec 29-30, and the second is the Monk from 'Tec 31-32. They both predate Joe Chill, too. (Gerry Conway revived both of them in the 1980s, and other writers have tackled them since.)

1 Like