Think You Know Green Lantern? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about a superhero that was a fighter pilot, a founding member of the Justice League, and a member and occasionally leader of an intergalactic police force - Green Lantern!

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

—We have RECRUITED a very helpful little friend from the 5th dimension to sort out the facts and answer questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He’s VERY excited to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, November 19th.

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current Green Lantern entry here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/green-lantern/

7 Likes

Hall Jordan almost entered the speed force in a jet construct.

Source: Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #28

6 Likes

In “Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps” issue 7 by Robert Venditi, Hal Jordan, having forged his own power ring, finally masters his will power completely in an attempt to go head to head with Sinestro, who has tamed the beast Parallax. As the battle heats up, both Hal and Sinestro are evenly matched. In order to finally put an end to Sinestro’s world order madness, Hal realizes that he has to let go of everything he holds within and become one with his will and finally take Sinestro out with an epic Emerald Kamikaze attack.

4 Likes

Hal Jordan once fought both a polar bear and a wolf in the arctic without his power ring - only to go snowblind after surviving the ordeal! From the classic Green Lantern volume 2 #134 by the legendary Marv Wolfman and Joe Staton.

2 Likes

Green Lantern Hal Jordan once sent his ring away and went to jail after being tricked by Goldface. His cellmate…the evil villain Black Hand! From Green Lantern volume 2 #146.

2 Likes

When originally designing the look of Green Lantern, legendary artist Gil Kane based Hal Jordan’s looks after his one-time neighbor, Paul Newman. He also based Sinestro on actor David Niven and the Guardians after Israel’s Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion. Source: The Blog of Oa - Green Lantern: The Silver Age 1956 - 1970 - The Blog of Oa

5 Likes

Jack Black was originally set to play a version of Green Lantern in a comedy

Ryan Reynolds makes reference to Green Lantern’s suit in the 2016 Deadpool movie after Reynold’s had played Hal Jordan in the 2011 live action Green Lantern film.

Versions of many famous birds in entertainment have sported the Green Lantern ring. This includes; Daffy Duck (Duck Dodgers season 1 episode 9) as well as Big Bird, Blu from Rio, the Road Runner, Mumble from Happy Feet, one of the Angry Birds, and Mordecai from Regular Show (MAD animated TV show).

Kermit the Frog wasn’t a Lantern, but he did recite a version of the Green Lantern oath in a parody trailer for The Muppets (2011)

DC almost sold publishing rights for Green Lantern (and others) to Marvel

https://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/29/how-marvel-almost-ended-up-owning-dc-comics-superman-batman.html

2 Likes

Hey everyone! I’ll be taking over moderation duties from Bat-Mite. Because, you see…

I WAS BAT-MITE THE WHOLE TIME! BWA HA HA HA HA!

Okay, here we go. Some thoughts:

@NYJt3: I’m a HUGE fan of this story arc- Rafa Sandoval’s art is GORGEOUS- but I don’t think the Speed Force itself is ever explicitly mentioned. This could be argued to be supposition.

@MRumsey: These are some great Silver Age tidbits, but we’re looking more for stuff like factoids than story summaries. Something like your Paul Newman anecdote would be perfect… except that you seem to be quoting your own website. Can you provide a secondary source?

@nu52: Love the Jack Black story. Using that. But we try to avoid facts that stray into copyrights by other companies, or too far out of the bounds of DC.

3 Likes

In Green Lantern #50 (1967), Hal Jordan quit being a test pilot for Ferris Air. For the next 10 years, he spent time as an insurance adjuster, a toy salesman, and a truck driver, before returning to work at Ferris in 1977. (Source: When Hal Jordan Isn't Working as a Test Pilot, He Works Some Odd Gigs)

1 Like

No problem @HubCityQuestion - I used my own article because my original sources are out of print and didn’t think you’d be able to find them in order to verify them. The Paul Newman and David Ben-Gurion references comes from pages 76-77 of Julius Schwartz’s autobiography, "“Man of Two Worlds”. I did some digging this evening and did find a link to those two pages of the book: Man of two worlds : Schwartz, Julius : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The reference to Sinestro getting his appearance from David Niven comes from an old issue of Wizard Magazine from 2007. I did find a link to a web archive on that one: Wizard Entertainment

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Terrific! Thanks a lot!

WHAT
It was you all along.
Should have realized something when batmite was putting on that blue hat.

1 Like

The Guardians "were physically based on David Ben-Gurion . . . " -DC Comics Encyclopedia P-521

Also, the creator of several of the original Green Lantern stories was Bill Finger, who had the same surname as my grandmother! I loved the Green Lantern well before I had ever discovered that. That was a neat coincidence for me.

Hal Jordan had a sidekick nicknamed “Pieface”