Think You Know Green Arrow? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

green arrow

This week, we’re asking DC fans to submit their fun trivia facts about a character that many regards as a modern-day Robin Hood, but is really so much more. Billionaire, archer extraordinaire, and member of the Justice League - Oliver Queen! Known as the Green Arrow to the scourge of Star City and Seattle, this vigilante superhero cares more about the plight of the poor and the suffering in America perhaps more than any other.

Let us know all your little-known intel in the comments below, and it could be selected for featuring in our new “Trivia” Encyclopedia section! Anyone whose Fun Facts are selected will receive a rare “Daily Planet Editor” badge!

Remember – All facts MUST be cited with their source to be considered for- it can be any source! Just be sure you cite it.

Would You Like To Know More?

—CITE your facts with a credible source by providing a link, a magazine, commentary, DVD featurettes; anything that can validate your fact.

—If we are not able to VALIDATE your fact, or if it does not fit the tone of our Encyclopedia entries, we may not use the fact right away.

—If REPEAT facts are submitted that we would like to use, the first user to post that fact will receive the credit.

—You can submit AS MANY facts as you’d like! However, submission to this thread DOES NOT guarantee that your fact will be selected for featuring in the Encyclopedia. The selection process is entirely up to the discretion of DC Universe.

——We have RECRUITED our very own @HubCityQuestion master of all trivia, to help sort out the facts and answer the questions you have moving forward in our weekly installments. He remains duty-bound to keep this party going!

—We will be accepting fun facts now through Tuesday, January 21st!.

—To ensure your information has not ALREADY BEEN CITED in our existing Encyclopedia, you can find the current Green Arrow entry here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/encyclopedia/green-arrow/

1 Like

Green Arrow can make a great chili according to Green Arrow (2016) #8.

3 Likes

His first live action appearance was on Smallville who was play by Justin Hartley.
The Queen family were first mention on Smallville in the first episode at the very beginning on a Newspaper! Oliver’s parents were killed in a plane crash.

Source: Smallville Season 1 episode 1, Season 6, episode 1

4 Likes

He can shoot and reload an arrow in 2.5 seconds.

Source: 26 Amazing And Interesting Facts About The Green Arrow - Tons Of Facts

3 Likes

His first appearance with his redesigned suit was The Brave and the Bold #85 and designed by Neal Adams.

Source:

DCU Digital Library

3 Likes

His first appearance in his hooded suit was The Longbow Hunters miniseries. Mike Grell wanted a more realistic Green Arrow and moved him to Seattle and decided he needed a warmer suit for the cold weather.

Source:

Mike Grell: Life Is Drawing Without An Eraser by Dewey Cassell with Jeff Messer published by TwoMorrows Publishing.

4 Likes

His first solo comic was the 1983 Green Arrow Miniseries.

Source:

DCU Digital Library

2 Likes

The first appearance of Green Arrow’s chili was in Green Lantern / Green Arrow #85.

Source:

DC Fandom Wiki

5 Likes

Oliver once briefly wielded a Green Lantern ring, using all of his willpower to create an arrow that struck Sinestro in the chest, giving Kyle Rayner a chance to get the two of them to safety.

Source - Green Lantern: Rebirth #4 (2005)

3 Likes

Green Arrow’s chili is legendary, but this lore is quite a bit older than 2016!

1 Like

Trivia about first appearances in outside media are informative, but we’re always looking for something a little more creative or notable. Like that plane crash note, for instance: that’s pretty out of the ordinary!

1 Like

@HubCityQuestion in Smallville season 6 dvd they have a special feature on how Oliver became Green Arrow in a cartoon webisodes, Oliver’s Parents were killed in a plane crash that was cause by a bomb.
Not sure if it happened in comic but it did for the show.

Well. That was the most recent one in which I had seen it mentioned. Plus, my facts don’t matter. Because I don’t really know to much about Green Arrow other than the basics.

Green Arrow’s chili recipe absolutely belongs in the encyclopedia.

4 Likes

I don’t have a source but I know only Green arrow and Batman can stand Green arrows Chili

1 Like

Actually now that I think about it the source was from @HubCityQuestion On One of the DC dailies i don’t know which one though

Although they both share a great friend in the form of Hal Jordan, Barry Allen and Oliver Queen never got along. Barry heard Ollie talking about “the growing problems of police brutality” and “the blue fascist oppressoon” one too many times. He also saw him as a bad influence on Hal and thought he’d get him in trouble.

Source: Flash: Rebirth by Johns and VanSciver-- Q&A with Johns in the back of the TPB.

Green arrow can shoot arrows with his teeth

1 Like

Green Arrow and Hawkman have an extreme animosity towards each other, dating back to Justice League of America Vol 1 #100.

…But Justice League of America Vol 1 #104 is where the rivalry really took off.

Green Arrow-- the prototypical alt-left radical.
Hawkman-- an interstellar police officer of an imperialist galactic empire (at the time), essentially the epitome of the establishment.
Put them on the same team. What could go wrong?

Since JLA #100, GA and Carter/Katar have partaken in battles of wit, politics, and insults many times. Think of Thanksgiving with your extended family amplified ten times.

Here’s my personal favorite interaction. Gotta love Kevin Smith!

Green Arrow Vol 3, 13 (2001, Smith and Hester)

1 Like

The people who showed up to Green Arrow’s funeral include…

(Green Arrow Vol 3, #16 ((2001, Meltzer and Hester)).