Think You Know Catwoman? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

She broke into the JL Watchtower successfully to test out the security systems [Catwoman (2011) Issue 50]

5 Likes

Looks like her encyclopedia ‘Media Appearances’ menu is missing a couple things:
Movies
Batman: Hush (2019)
Televison
Harley Quinn Animated Series (2020)
Video Games
LEGO DC Super Villains (2018) PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows, macOS.
There isn’t much mention of her brother or sister Maggie, (or her being a nun) either. I’ll go collect some references and be back! :cat2:
:alarm_clock:
Selina has a sister (one of her few emotional weaknesses): Sister Magdalene Kyle/Sister Zero’s first appearance was in Catwoman #1 Dec 1988 (to present)
Catwoman (1988-) #1 DC Universe

(As Sister Zero) Catwoman #83 March 2010
Catwoman (2001-) #83 DC Universe

Once upon a time she also had a brother (until 1981). Karl Kyle first appeared in Batman #69 Feb 1952

4 Likes

Catwoman’s first solo video game was featured on The Gameboy Color

She also had solo video games as a tie in to her solo movie in 2004- though this is not related to Selina Kyle

5 Likes

Catwoman was trained in martial arts just before she became Catwoman [Catwoman (1993) annual 2]

She also regularly trains with Wildcat [Gotham City Sirens Issue 9]

3 Likes

Is this my favorite “Think You Know” ever? It just might be.

5 Likes

Notable elseworlds:
She had an elseworlds two part special where she was the one guarding Gotham City and Batman was an evil villain. They do marry but he does die at the end.

She was a WereCat by the name of Talia

She was married to Batman but they were both criminals. Robin was their kid and the Joker was a cop hunting them down

3 Likes

Some notable crossovers:
Catwoman and Scream Queen
Catwoman and Vampirella

Catwoman with Daredevil
From Batman/Daredevil: King of New York

4 Likes

Catwoman and Vampirella—How! …have I never seen this?

3 Likes

It’s pretty good, you should definitely read it! Plus it has Jim Balent on art, and it is perfect for this book

2 Likes

On it! Thanx @TheCatKnight! :grinning:

1 Like

@TheCatKnight,

Thanks for the “deep cuts” (or, should that be deep scratches?) on Catwoman. I must admit, I’ve always liked Selina’s Jim Balent costume, with the whip essentially acting as a substitute for a tail. The black leather costume is more practical (she looks like a black cat), but it’s just not as visually exciting.

2 Likes

Agreed, the Jim Balent one is my favorite design. I personally think it’s more practical than the Darwyn Cooke design, have you tried moving around in leather? It’s very tough. But the Balent design seems to be made of a nice stretchy fabric.

I personally love the purple and long flowy hair on Selina, to me it’s visually striking. This is comics, it’s a visual medium. Nobody complains Batman running around with a long cape that can get stuck in things is impractical. We have to suspend belief all the time with comics.

That said I do love the recent Joëlle Jones design, it’s my next favorite after the classic purple dress. It’s functional yet stylish and gives her a lot of flair. I do hope it sticks around for a long time.

1 Like

When I think of the, ahem, purrfect Catwoman, I think of this Who’s Who entry by Alan Davis.

5 Likes

That’s my second favorite look, I love the purple dress and cape, it’s so classic yet striking and fierce

2 Likes

I wanna pretend that was a fur ball so bad.

1 Like

That made me lol!

1 Like

Selina Kyle is hanging out in Las Vegas with Dinah Lance in New Frontier #2. They are watching Ted Grant’s fight. She is Ted’s girlfriend. “Cheers to the King of the Cats.” “He’s this Cat’s King.” It my favorite line. Catwoman and Wildcat!

2 Likes

Let me add my $ .02 worth (feel free to correct if determined to be in error).

First live action appearance - Batman tv series, March '66.
Julie Newmar would be but the first of 3 women to wear the cat-suit. Lee Meriwether (in the only movie based on the series) and Eartha Kitt, replacing Newmar on the show, would follow. Like Joker, Riddler and Penquin on the show, she is never known by, or called anything other than her criminal title … Catwoman.

Selina Kyle would make her first appearance on the big screen, in Batman Returns, 1992.

And while Catwoman and Black Canary have shared many adventures over the years, their first meeting (however brief) occurred in Adventure Comics #419. At the conclusion of a 2 part story. Art by the one and only Alex Toth!

1 Like

That was a different Catwoman, though!

1 Like

Aw man…