Think You Know Batman: The Animated Series? Get Featured in DC Universe Encyclopedia!

The series reinvented Mr. Freeze by giving him a tragic backstory

3 Likes

The following episodes premiered in prime time (always Sunday night):

a. On Leather Wings 9/6/92 (that was the day after the series Saturday-morning premiere, Cat & the Claw Part 1 - for some reason, viewers had to watch another 6 episodes before they saw the conclusion in Cat & the Claw pt 2

b. 01/10/93: The Laughing Fish
c. 01/24/93: The Mechanic
d. 02/07/93: Robin’s Reckoning Part 1
e. 02/14/93: Robin’s Reckoning Part 2

I would swear that Harley & Ivy also premiered on Sunday night in prime time, but everything I find says it aired on Monday afternoon

See website tvtango dot com (followed by the date in year/mm/dd format to verify each

Also airing on Sunday nights, but not the first time the episode had appeared:

12/13/92: I Am The Night
12/20/92: Dreams In Darkness
12/27/92: Christmas With The Joker
01/03/93: If You’re So Smart, Why Aren’t You Rich?
01/17/93: It’s Never Too Late
01/31/93: Joker’s Favor
02/28/93: The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne
03/07/93: What Is Reality?
03/14/93: Perchance to Dream

2 Likes

Joker and Penguin are the only super villains Batman has already faced when the series begins.

(See lack of origin those two, compared to every other costumed villain)

This means he is meeting almost of his rogues gallery after Dick Grayson has already gone off to college (suggesting the town really went to hell upon Grayson’s departure)

And the real cause of Robin’s absence for much of the series is partly due to Tim Burton/Warner Bros going back and forth on whether an African American quais-Robin would appear in Batman Returns

(see Feb. 1994 Cinefantastique magazine)

2 Likes

They had guns and breaking glass on that show. In fact it is one of the rare shows where they had real guns firing bullets. Most other animated shows had beam weapons. There was child endangerment, Joker kidnapped the mayor’s son once.

3 Likes

I saw the A Bullet For Bullock episode last night. There couldn’t have been any more guns.

edit: there is even bullet in the episode title

3 Likes

Eric Radomski designed the Title Cards for each episode of BTAS. The cards were meant to give the feeling that each episode was its own mini-movie. When BTAS became The New Batman Adventures on Kids’ WB the Title Cards were discontinued.

From Batman: Animated by Paul Dini & Chip Kid.

4 Likes

The Gray Ghost (voiced in the animated series by Adam West) has just become canon in the current DC Comics Universe, appearing in the most recent issue of Detective Comics, issue #1027.

3 Likes

Perhaps the more appropriate word is tabboos

1 Like

This one’s already in the Joker fun facts!

6 Likes

The show was so dark they opted for using black paper instead of white to draw the boards.

https://whatculture.com/comics/10-mind-blowing-facts-you-didnt-know-about-batman-the-animated-series?page=9

2 Likes