Things Done in Comic Books That You Can’t Stand

Narration telling us what the art is already showing us. More often then not, it comes off as the writer trying to flex when it just isn’t needed. (Am I the only one who likes red on black lettering?)
-M

9 Likes

I don’t like it when they include deadweight characters. In other words, when they include characters to either draw more fans or make a group feel bigger when the characters don’t actually have anything to do. (They are often given a needless sideplot instead.)

9 Likes

Military uniforms that look nothing like actual uniforms, try Google
Red on black should be illegal

7 Likes

Yes, you are the only fan of the red on black font.

2 Likes

My life is a lonely one…
Disappointed Standing In The Rain GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
-M

11 Likes

Bad merchandising, just why?

7 Likes

I can’t stand origin stories with extremely high stakes. Superman’s first adventure in Action Comics #1 was a mission to convince the governor to stay an execution. Superman’s first adventure in Superman: Earth One involved a threat to the entire planet.

13 Likes

When the coloring or icons on caption boxes are too abstract to tell whose thoughts they are - especially in Bat-books. Even worse: when they don’t even bother distinguishing the boxes.

I also find characters speaking out-of-frame really annoying, since I don’t know how to hear their lines. It’s kind of impossible to avoid, so I can’t really blame anybody for doing it, but it just doesn’t work as well in comics as it does in audible mediums.

8 Likes

I agree. In instances like the colored boxes, I miss thought balloons.

5 Likes

I agree with it being really difficult to read whatever the Batman Who Laughs is saying with the bright red and black lettering especially with the font. The Court of Owls story did something similar with the way the Talons spoke but they kept the lettering white so you could actually understand it. Don’t know why they thought the BHL needs to have it in red instead of the usual white, it would be so much easier to read.

Now to my issues, I have two main ones. The first is writing a person or a whole team completely out of character just to make a certain character (usually the main one) look powerful and perfects. While the other character or characters look weak and stupid. It’s just annoying, all characters have their flaws and some writers need to learn to accept it and not brush it off to the side by making them look better than other characters as an excuse for their behavior or actions.

My second is bringing in big characters (like Superman or some overly big villain from a different story as an example) into stories where they don’t belong just to possibly get more readers or add a useless crossover that will never be important again. It’s super annoying to be in the middle of a story arc and then some big shot comes out of nowhere and completely de rails the story.

6 Likes

Rob Liefeld

11 Likes

Misleading cover art.

15 Likes

You mean like when Liefeld does an anatomically correct cover with feet and hands that look real and then his interior work is “Pouch Man” and tiny hands?

4 Likes

-resists urge to break community rules and post non-DC art-

Exactly. Total false advertising.

6 Likes

I love it when they work together, but the delays when Geoff Johns and Gary Frank work together can be frustrating. Superman: Secret Origin was amazing, but we had to wait so long for that final issue. The wait for Batman: Earth One volume three is getting longer and longer, and the constant delays in Doomsday Clock killed my interest.

It’s gotten to the point where, if I see their names announced on something, I know to wait for the trade. They work so well together and I love their stories, but sometimes it’s just not worth the wait.

4 Likes

One thing that really bothers is me is tie-ins. Do we really need multiple titles to tell a story, taking a book out of its own continuity to be a bit player in a bigger story while alienating fans of that book?

I am okay with appearances from characters, ie Superman, Batman, etc., as long as it makes sense. This is not always the case it hurts the story.

My second complaint, reboots. I understand the purpose and it is needed from time to time. However, to rely on a reboot every 5-10 years is a slap in the face. Sometimes it works and other times we get New 52. (I do enjoy many books from the New 52 era but I cannot call that reboot a success.)

11 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

I loved Rebirth. Though I got into DC later after it was released, it gave me a good starting point with the Teen Titans and Nightwing. But I don’t like the New 52 where it restarted almost everything. I think that whenever a new author takes over a comic, his run should have like a page or two explaining some things for new fans instead of starting the whole universe over.

4 Likes

I read Batman Damned and there was a part in cursive with Thomas Wayne talking and some of the words I couldn’t read.

2 Likes

When one writer can do something in a story that effects other comics that they aren’t even working on. I got into DC with the Nightwing comics from Rebirth and it was my favorite series and was a blast to read all the way up until this Ric stuff. He got shot in the head in a frickin Batman comic! Why? It’s a chore to read now.

4 Likes